Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 03:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvb8SNuZaM8

rear in motion. what a beautiful ***. Palin can wish she has a nice *** like that.
Old 03-19-09, 03:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
and if you find that ugly, i have no hope for you.
everyone likes different things.

i look at the coupe, and wonder what the hell is going on between the front and rear wheels. All those lines and creases make no sense to me. the side sheetmetal is discordant, and all because hyundai just wanted to be different for the sake of being different..

yeah the front looks ok, and the rear is ok.

i would like it more if the sides were less busy looking:

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-19-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 04:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
damn..... that's sex on wheels.

It is the LINES on the side of the car that makes this car look so good. You got the idea all wrong, dunnojack. I mentioned the black because black usually makes the car a little smaller. Lighter color generally makes the car look bigger. THAT is why I mentioned black..... and the silver one looks good because it makes the car look "richer". There is nothing wrong with the body lines specially the side.

as the annoying cliche goes....... we can all agree to disagree
Old 03-21-09, 02:37 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm i dont think street driving will tell you how good a chassis is. unless youre doing 70mph slaloms around other cars on the street i would hold back from being a pseudo-engineer.
Old 03-21-09, 03:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I personally don't like the front, but the sides and the rear I do like
Old 03-21-09, 04:32 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Different strokes for different folks. I personally don't like the front, but the sides and the rear I do like

+1...agreed. the genesis is nice, but it seems like the body panels are a little too...busy (for lack of a word). i prefer the cleaner, simpler lines of the 370z, g37 coupe, or my now outdated s2000.

but in the end, when nosy ppl ask, i love saying that i drive a lexus
Old 03-22-09, 09:33 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
Those are some great lines that I haven't paid attention to before.

That picture really shows off those front, aggressive lines of the Gen Coupe.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. My reviews are done on the street, as that is the way most cars are driven, most of the time. But I do accelerate, brake, and steer/corner hard enough to get a good idea of what the car can do....otherwise I wouldn't waste time writing them up. And I look for some twisty roads whenever possible. But, as most of the cars I review are brand-new and not broken-in, I don't red-line the engine or slam on the brakes full-force. I stop a little short of that.

My reviews generally give a detailed, thorough description of what the car is like from stem to stern, and what you get for your money.....which is what most people are interested in. For max track figures, it is better to consult a review like Road & Track or Car & Driver.

However, even in non-track conditions, it was obvious, to me at least, that the 3.8 Track Genesis Coupe had better reflexes and power than the G37 coupe. It was simply a sportier and more driver-centered vehicle.
The 3.7 VQ37VHR has been proven to make more power (by a pretty good margin). And the heavier G37 itself out accelerates the Gen Coupe in every review there has been, even with a modified ECU to fix the delay issue. Feel can be deceiving. After pushing a few cars to their limits, I have learned to never imply what its capable off based on regular to mildly spirited driving. It can be indicative at most, but not conclusive.

Anyhow, like someone else pointed out, many people won't track these cars to begin. But differences which might be considered marginal to some become very important for the few who actually do track their cars.

You make some excellent reviews. I wasn't trying to bash it in any way. There's just a few points in regards to performance that I question in some of your reviews. Other than that, you are very detailed and could find your way in to a magazine without a problem. Keep up the great work

(I'm very technical when it comes to performance. Maybe a little too much )
Old 03-22-09, 10:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
The 3.7 VQ37VHR has been proven to make more power (by a pretty good margin). And the heavier G37 itself out accelerates the Gen Coupe in every review there has been, even with a modified ECU to fix the delay issue. Feel can be deceiving. After pushing a few cars to their limits, I have learned to never imply what its capable off based on regular to mildly spirited driving. It can be indicative at most, but not conclusive.

Anyhow, like someone else pointed out, many people won't track these cars to begin. But differences which might be considered marginal to some become very important for the few who actually do track their cars.

You make some excellent reviews. I wasn't trying to bash it in any way. There's just a few points in regards to performance that I question in some of your reviews. Other than that, you are very detailed and could find your way in to a magazine without a problem. Keep up the great work
Thanks.

I don't red-line the engine because most of the cars I review are brand-new, and not broken in, but I accelerate, brake, and steer corner enough to get a good idea of what the car is capable of in non-track conditions. The Genesis 3.8 track definitely felt quicker to me, especially in low-RPM conditions. the G37's power didn't start to get noticeable until just short of 4000 RPM or so. The Genesis also felt slightly more nimble in the chassis depeartment. Both, however, had excellent brake feel.....the Genesis with Brembos.

As I pointed out in the review, this was the top-line Genesis coupe.......the 3.8 track model. Lesser models may not have the same power or athletics......I can't say, because I didn't sample them (I was not able to, for one).

But there's little dispute that the 3.8 Track is a true drivers' car.......one of the best I've seen without a blue-and-white BMW propeller on the hood, especially considering the fairly low price. Unlike the Genesis sedan, however, I did not find the coupe's interior very impressive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-09 at 10:23 PM.