Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

08 New Highlander Purchase help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

OK, I (respectfully) think we've talked enough about tire pressures.......me included. By now we all know they should be checked before any test-drive or purchase. I'm going to get back to the original topic....what SUV (s) the original thread poster should consider.

I still think the Highlander or Pilot would be a good choice. Between the two, I personally would chose the Highlander...its road noise level and powertrain refinement are a little better than the Pilot's, though Honda seems to use a little more solid, better-quality hardware for the interior and exterior. I was very impressed, however, in my review, with the new 2010 Lexus RX350...its noise/smoothness/refinement level, except for a borderline firm ride, is superb. it just, IMO, might be worth the extra money over a conventional, non-hybrid Highlander.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 03:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is, that the monitors dont all work the same way. Some give you the actual pressure of all 4 tires in PSI. Others only use tire-rotation sensors that compre wheel speeds one to another and tell you if the PSI in one or more wheels is off. With this type of system, if all 4 tires are down (or up) the same amount and still rotate at the same speeds, it won't register.
Just because monitors work differently, does not make it a problem. They still add value as safety devices.

I've had both type of tire pressure monitors in my vehicles and both add value. Most recent versions are obviously the best giving warnings when pressure drops 5 lbs below recommended pressure. Lexus and Mercedes current monitoring systems are very good. No monitor is a substitute for a good tire pressure gauge and periodic checking. But modern tire monitoring systems are a good safety measure especially for the many drivers that are less than diligent than us.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-17-09 at 04:23 PM. Reason: corrected pressure threshold quoted (lbs.)
Old 03-17-09, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, the Highlander and Pilot would be good choices. IMHO the price premium of the RX and the lack of the 3rd row seating is not so well justified.
Old 03-17-09, 03:55 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also live in an affluent, recession-resistant area area where lots of new cars are sold and delivered, even in these hard times
Well, I live in one of the most affluent areas in Canada. The dealer I go to is Canada's #1 LEXUS/TOYOTA dealer as for internal customer service and is not in an affluent area. It has been in the same spot for 50 years, it is across from a Wal-Mart next to a CP Rail yard. Furthermore, back in the day CP Rail ran a neighbourhood line between there then used car dealer and one of the countries first Lexus dealers which used to park the Shiny Lexus LS two feet away from the rail line. .

I am sorry mmarshall but What does recession-resistant area have to do with what we are talking about? And how does it make your opinion any more valide than someone elses?
Old 03-17-09, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am sorry mmarshall but What does recession-resistant area have to do with what we are talking about?
Why be sorry? No need to apologize. It's a valid question, and I'll give you a valid answer.

We (the D.C. area) are the second-largest new car market on the North American continent...second only to California (and especially Los Angeles). That means a LOT of cars sold, a LOT of cars coming off the truck, and a LOT of cars going through dealership PDI. Dealer operating margins are traditionally quite thin, except for the service departments, where most of the actual money is made. Each department is given a strict budget to work with. That means you can only hire so many guys (and sometimes women) to wash, wax, detail, inspect, and prep new cars. Fewer people, (especially fewer GOOD people)......and more cars coming through through the shop mean more chances for errors, sub-par work, and missed details.

Though the market is down, even here, a little from last year, it is still quite strong. Camrys, Accords, Corollas, and Civics, in particular, are still very popular here. I can remember, not long ago, at one of the local Toyota shops, a line of new Camrys at the wash bin, stretching out the door some six or seven cars deep, that were scheduled to be delivered that very afternoon...with a few Corollas mixed in.

So, combine a (possible) shortage of dealer personnel, a lot of sales, and a bunch of impaitient salespeople coming back, hollering and wondering why THEIR customer's car isn't ready in ten minutes, that THEIR customer is more important than anybody else's, and I think you can begin to see the picture.

And how does it make your opinion any more valide than someone elses?
It does not make my "opinion" more important than anybody else's. I'm not stating my opinion here. I'm stating fact.....what I have myself seen for years. Same with you. You, no doubt, have seen things in your part of the country that are facts, not opinion. I won't question what you have seen under those circumstances.....with due courtesy, I'll take your word for it.

Now, if someone asks me (or all of us) what our opinions for a vehicle choice are, as the thread poster has here by opening this thread in the first place, then that, of course is opinion and not fact; just as it is with you and all of the other posters. And, under those circumstances, all of our input means something....none of us know it all.
Old 03-17-09, 08:56 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for great inputs....
Old 03-17-09, 09:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skpark70
Thank you all for great inputs....
Best of luck in the search.
Old 03-18-09, 08:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I too test drive cars all the time. Mostly Toyota. I have test driven almost every toyota in the line up right now. I have never come across a new car test drive that had any issues while on a test drive. A smart sales manager will make sure his salemans and not driving just any car on the lot. This is why there is such things as a demo.
Why do you assume every sales manager is "smart"? There are good ones and bad ones, regardless of the brand. Assuming everything is find b/c it's a Toyota might be the worst move you can make.
Old 03-18-09, 09:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"A smart sales manager will make sure his salemans and not driving just any car on the lot. This is why there is such things as a demo."

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why do you assume every sales manager is "smart"? There are good ones and bad ones, regardless of the brand. Assuming everything is find b/c it's a Toyota might be the worst move you can make.
His statement (above) does not assume a sales manager is smart. He's only pointing out the actions of a sale manager that happens to be smart.
Old 03-18-09, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I always take a trusted tire gauge (I have 2 of them) and check PSI's on a car I am reviewing, buying myself, or helping someone else buy. I have seen a lot of red faces on salespeople (and even General Managers) who didn't believe PSIs on brand-new cars could be off.
great idea!!! i'll remember that the next time i go test one.

could be years from now though...
Old 03-18-09, 10:25 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skpark70
We"ll be buying a new Toyota Highlander Limited w/ Nav within couple of weeks and the local dealers does have a NEW 08 Highlander for sale.
The list MSRP is 39K for limited w/ nav. do you think I could get this car for below invoice??? What is realistic price should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
I bought my 03 Highlander Limited (in Nov 02, new, navi wasn't an option) at invoice, the MSRP was ~ $35200.

If you are buying a previous year new car with the economy today, you should be getting some $2K to $3k below invoice as a reference. It also depends on you negotiation ability.