Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

08 New Highlander Purchase help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 11:41 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 New Highlander Purchase help...

We"ll be buying a new Toyota Highlander Limited w/ Nav within couple of weeks and the local dealers does have a NEW 08 Highlander for sale.
The list MSRP is 39K for limited w/ nav. do you think I could get this car for below invoice??? What is realistic price should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-09, 11:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not in the same area.. but based on this.. i'd say at least $7,000 off MSRP, I don't know what that is in relation to invoice.

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...e-09c259672cab
Old 03-17-09, 04:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

An 08??? It's MARCH--they had BETTER sell it to you under invoice.
Old 03-17-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Even aside from the money question, if you are going to consider a new '08 this late in the game, check it out carefully inside and out. If it has been sitting on the lot for months without being driven, it could have a number of potential problems, including a dead battery, paint damage from bird droppings, rust on exposed brake and chassis parts underneath, bumpy tires from flat-spotting, moisture in the oil pan, spots from acid rain, and some corrosion inside the engine and transmission that you, of course, couldn't see. On the test-drive, pay particular attention to steering/brake vibrations and shimmies at higher speeds (55 and up). And make sure all 4 tires have the right PSI...a lot of air in them could have leaked out by now.

If it HAS been driven, it could have been used as a demo with some miles on it.....demos can legally be sold as new cars with clean titles, up to a certain mileage that, I believe, varies by state.

If you buy the '09, it might cost a little more up front, but, IMO, could turn out to be a safer purchase.

One factor, however, is significant in states like VA that have an annual car-tax based on assessed value (I don't know if WA does or not). A brand-new '08, right now, would probably be considered a year old when you buy it, and the personal-property tax on it this year (which you can deduct, anyway, on your Federal return next year) would be lower than on a new '09.
Old 03-17-09, 09:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't worry if it has been sitting on the lot for months as someone else mentioned. My vehicle was Jan 03 built which I bought in July 03. Never let me down, originally battery after 6 years, no problems, smooth as hell, shifts well.

Don't worry about it sitting on the lot. That is a myth..

The dealer will prep it and make sure it runs at spec when you buy it.

Last edited by pagemaster; 03-17-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 09:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I wouldn't if it has been sitting on the lot for months as someone else mentioned. My vehicle was Jan 03 built which I bought in July 03. Never let me down, originally battery after 6 years, no problems, smooth as hell, shifts well.

Agreed, this is nothing new for experienced Toyota dealers. They know how to maintain and store their inventory. And the factory warranty becomes valid the date of purchase.
Old 03-17-09, 09:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skpark70
We"ll be buying a new Toyota Highlander Limited w/ Nav within couple of weeks and the local dealers does have a NEW 08 Highlander for sale.
The list MSRP is 39K for limited w/ nav. do you think I could get this car for below invoice??? What is realistic price should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
I say $20k above m.s.r.p ala the GTR.

You can get the Highlander under invoice.. I purchased my 02 Rav4 brand new $1k under invoice at the time at Bayside Toyota.. Shop around buddy..
Old 03-17-09, 09:57 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, this is nothing new for experienced Toyota dealers. They know how to maintain and store their inventory. And the factory warranty becomes valid the date of purchase.
Exactly. Internal Toyota memos stress how important new car detail and presentation is. It is in the best interest of the dealer to make sure your new Highlander is perfect and trouble free as possible.

Also, Toyota corporate will have pushed the dealer to have sold this vehicle for a long time. I am sure every salesperson knows about this vehicle and mentioned it to anyone who has walked into the dealer looking for a new Highlander.

Most likely the Limited Highlander was a late built or a special order that went bad.

Last edited by pagemaster; 03-17-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 10:25 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even aside from the money question, if you are going to consider a new '08 this late in the game, check it out carefully inside and out. If it has been sitting on the lot for months without being driven, it could have a number of potential problems, including a dead battery, paint damage from bird droppings, rust on exposed brake and chassis parts underneath, bumpy tires from flat-spotting, moisture in the oil pan, spots from acid rain, and some corrosion inside the engine and transmission that you, of course, couldn't see. On the test-drive, pay particular attention to steering/brake vibrations and shimmies at higher speeds (55 and up). And make sure all 4 tires have the right PSI...a lot of air in them could have leaked out by now.

If it HAS been driven, it could have been used as a demo with some miles on it.....demos can legally be sold as new cars with clean titles, up to a certain mileage that, I believe, varies by state.

If you buy the '09, it might cost a little more up front, but, IMO, could turn out to be a safer purchase.

One factor, however, is significant in states like VA that have an annual car-tax based on assessed value (I don't know if WA does or not). A brand-new '08, right now, would probably be considered a year old when you buy it, and the personal-property tax on it this year (which you can deduct, anyway, on your Federal return next year) would be lower than on a new '09.

Wow. That was a good read.
Old 03-17-09, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't worry if it has been sitting on the lot for months as someone else mentioned. My vehicle was Jan 03 built which I bought in July 03. Never let me down, originally battery after 6 years, no problems, smooth as hell, shifts well.

Don't bet on it. I've helped a LOT of people buy a LOT of new vehicles over the years, at many different dealerships....and trust me, I know what to look for. Otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting time typing in this thread. I once saw a brand-new Tercel delivered with 50 PSI in all 4 tires (around 30 was specs) because the PDI guys didn't even bother to check them. I regularly review new cars (for CL), right off the lot, where I often (more often than not) have to adjust the tires myself before I drive them.

Deep paint scratches (I carry a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT with me for the small surface stuff), mild steering wheel/brake pedal shimmies at speed, inoperative stereo/audio systems (some of them have to be pre-programmed), and misaligned/off-center steering wheels are also fairly common.

I'm not saying don't buy an '08, but if you do, simply check it out as well as you can before signing on the dotted line.
Old 03-17-09, 01:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Checking all new and used cars prior to signing purchase agreement is always a good practice.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-17-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 01:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't bet on it. I've helped a LOT of people buy a LOT of new vehicles over the years, at many different dealerships....and trust me, I know what to look for. Otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting time typing in this thread. I once saw a brand-new Tercel delivered with 50 PSI in all 4 tires (around 30 was specs) because the PDI guys didn't even bother to check them.
I too test drive cars all the time. Mostly Toyota. I have test driven almost every toyota in the line up right now. I have never come across a new car test drive that had any issues while on a test drive. A smart sales manager will make sure his salemans and not driving just any car on the lot. This is why there is such things as a demo.

Deep paint scratches (I carry a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT with me for the small surface stuff), mild steering wheel/brake pedal shimmies at speed, inoperative stereo/audio systems (some of them have to be pre-programmed), and misaligned/off-center steering wheels are also fairly common.
I regularly review new cars (for CL), right off the lot, where I often (more often than not) have to adjust the tires myself before I drive them.
I guess you are not aware of this. Toyota/Lexus do not come road ready from the manufacturer. The pre programming and stuff like sunroofs, antenaes are not initialized until the mechanic inspects.

I'm not saying don't buy an '08, but if you do, simply check it out as well as you can before signing on the dotted line
So is this now an isssue about PDI inspection or buying a 2008 that has been sitting a while?
Old 03-17-09, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I too test drive cars all the time. Mostly Toyota. I have test driven almost every toyota in the line up right now. I have never come across a new car test drive that had any issues while on a test drive. A smart sales manager will make sure his salemans and not driving just any car on the lot. This is why there is such things as a demo.

I guess you are not aware of this. Toyota/Lexus do not come road ready from the manufacturer. The pre programming and stuff like sunroofs, antenaes are not initialized until the mechanic inspects.

Yes, I'll agree with you that Toyota (and particularly Lexus) is better than most manufacturers for the PDI process. That's partly how they got their reputation. Still, I can only go by what I have actually seen.

I also live in an affluent, recession-resistant area area where lots of new cars are sold and delivered, even in these hard times...the Camry, Corolla, and Highlander, for instance, are all incredibly popular here. The PDI guys have so much work, sometimes, that it overwhelms them, and things slip through.
Old 03-17-09, 02:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I live in one of the most expensive areas in the nation and find the dealers are doing a very good job of making cars ready for delivery/test-drives. But the weather here is temperate much of the year making the job a bit easier.

I would not be afraid of purchasing a 2008. Careful inspection of any vehicle should be done prior to signing a purchase agreement. Problems can be documented and a "due bill" completed or the car can just get nixed. Locally the 2 Mercedes dealers are still selling off 2008's at great prices.

I agree that tire pressures need to monitored by all owners with care. I'm glad to see tire pressure monitors becoming common. I personally keep a small compressor and gauge in my garage for monthly adjustments, avoiding the crap equipment at gas stations.
Old 03-17-09, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree that tire pressures need to monitored by all owners with care. I'm glad to see tire pressure monitors becoming common. I personally keep a small compressor and gauge in my garage for monthly adjustments, avoiding the crap equipment at gas stations.
Problem is, that the monitors dont all work the same way. Some give you the actual pressure of all 4 tires in PSI. Others only use tire-rotation sensors that compre wheel speeds one to another and tell you if the PSI in one or more wheels is off. With this type of system, if all 4 tires are down (or up) the same amount and still rotate at the same speeds, it won't register.

That's why I always take a trusted tire gauge (I have 2 of them) and check PSI's on a car I am reviewing, buying myself, or helping someone else buy. I have seen a lot of red faces on salespeople (and even General Managers) who didn't believe PSIs on brand-new cars could be off.

Quick Reply: 08 New Highlander Purchase help...