Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

i wish it well but i don't care for the looks.
given the choice i'd get the hyundai coupe over this.
Old 03-17-09, 07:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Camaro would easily be my choice between other comparable midsize coupes - 370Z, Mustang, Genesis, RX-8, etc.

Just not a big fan of the interior but oh well.
Old 03-17-09, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Surprised I havent seen any reviews yet.
You will.............as soon as possible.
Old 03-17-09, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Saying that American cars only go in a straight line is like saying women should stay at home and not work - a view that should have died 20 years ago.

Terrible...

And FWIW, if you can point out where most American cars that handle like crap in their respective segments (eg: Camry vs Fusion vs Malibu), I'd love to know. Please stop spreading ignorance especially in this day and age when the entire automotive industry AND country are literally a short steps away from collapse. Support local industry when you can.

Ignorance......funny. There are sooooo many more like me then there are people with your opinion. Welcome to the modern American car market.

Think what you want but 1 car released 5 years to late is not going to save GM or change the opinion of tens of millions of consumers. American cars are generally unreliable and handle like ****. They roll and oversteer if the have power or roll and understeer if they are on the milder side.

In the end to each his own, but until companies like GM convert consumers like ME they will never thrive again. People like me talk people out of buying American and look down on them if they do. I seriously dont know one single person that drives american other than my neighbor with the Hummer Sorry bro but its how I/we roll . LOL. I have never seen an American car that blew me away except for the vette and the Viper, and both have the trashiest interiors that can be had in the industry. Through and through American cars are always lacking something. Its never a total package. You always feel like you got the cheaper car and saved so much. Then you just keep focused on the fact that dollar for dollar its a great car. Maybe, but they are never the best.

take care buddy. I guess we will agree to disagree.

IMPORTS RULE !!!!! LOL

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-17-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 11:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it needs a drop and some rims
Old 03-17-09, 11:36 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone know a good camaro forum?
Old 03-18-09, 12:46 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

And FWIW, if you can point out where most American cars that handle like crap in their respective segments (eg: Camry vs Fusion vs Malibu), I'd love to know. Please stop spreading ignorance especially in this day and age when the entire automotive industry AND country are literally a short steps away from collapse. Support local industry when you can.

I rented a new 09 Impala 2 weeks ago for a 1600 miles business trip, that car was horrible.. it drive like a boat, seat is uncomfortable, accleration sucks.... interior is ugly.. ugly gauge cluster.. i'm not impress at all and I can't believe US still build car like this...I rented a 09 Maxima just a month before for the same price that car was so much better.. it is fast, comfortable, good gas millege, handle well and it had smart key.. The Impala still use traditional key with a remote....I don't hate Amercan car and I own both Ford and GMC now but the new Impala just suck.
Old 03-18-09, 03:48 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Ignorance......funny. There are sooooo many more like me then there are people with your opinion. Welcome to the modern American car market.

Think what you want but 1 car released 5 years to late is not going to save GM or change the opinion of tens of millions of consumers. American cars are generally unreliable and handle like ****. They roll and oversteer if the have power or roll and understeer if they are on the milder side.

In the end to each his own, but until companies like GM convert consumers like ME they will never thrive again. People like me talk people out of buying American and look down on them if they do. I seriously dont know one single person that drives american other than my neighbor with the Hummer Sorry bro but its how I/we roll . LOL. I have never seen an American car that blew me away except for the vette and the Viper, and both have the trashiest interiors that can be had in the industry. Through and through American cars are always lacking something. Its never a total package. You always feel like you got the cheaper car and saved so much. Then you just keep focused on the fact that dollar for dollar its a great car. Maybe, but they are never the best.

IMPORTS RULE !!!!! LOL
This is ignorance at best. You're free to believe what you want. It's a free country. Boasting that your neighbors and you buy only imports is NOT a good thing. That may be how you "roll" and you may see nothing wrong with that now, but one day you will. It goes hand in hand with the mentality that got this country in the mess that it is in. That also extends to the leaders of industry - including the people running the American auto industry.

But the engineers have always been among the best and are highly capable. When they put out a good product, it's sad to see it go waste because of management's botched efforts.

Go Japan, Korea! America is headed for implosion anyway and this is about the only country I've lived in where I've seen people who seem to have blinders on. In Korea, people will actually question you why you bought a foreign car.....regardless of product! Same in many Asian countries. People in this country don't have a clue about that kind of mentality existing in other parts of the world. Fair trade? You wish!

As a parting point - always buy the best and only the best. But all things being equal,try and buy American. It is important and it makes a difference...right down to the smallest thing that you buy.
Old 03-18-09, 03:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is pulling out the stops for March, so make on offer, even on the new Camaro... I'm sitting on a offer for a 2009 Z06 MSRP of $81K for $69,000 right now... vs $58,900 for a $62K 2009 IS-F....
Old 03-18-09, 06:19 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone see the program "How stuff works" featuring GM's Corvette factory? The paint process on those cars will trump Lexus and many other Asian brands. In addition, you can tell a great deal about a vehicles build quality by examining what lies beneath.. Beauty is only skin deep Putting cars on a lift and examining the undercarriage will reveal quite a bit like stamped steel parts and sloppy welds.. I can't wait to drive this Camaro..
Old 03-18-09, 06:54 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a great deal for the money, but like most american cars it probably handles like crap. I saw a video on the speed channel showing how they designed the car and it didnt look like a track killer, just a typical american car. Its only good if you accelerate in a straight line. I will admit that the idea of that much power, that kind of mpg , and for that price you probably are going to get a damn decent car, but to actually give the Nurburgring lap time is a funny thing for a camaro or any Mareican car short of a vette or Viper

The cars I saw on TV were preproduction models so I am not saying the production version will be the same, BUT I dont have a lot of faith in GM or any American car company or american car for that matter
Unlike the other "typical american cars" that don't handle well; this one has IRS and appears to handle quite well. I find quoting ring times as a metric pretty funny regardless of what car it is. Since nearly no owner of any of these cars will ever get the car that quickly around it (or will ever travel to Germany to make the attempt).

IMPORTS RULE !!!!! LOL
You must not know very many people then; or at the least, you live in a very sheltered environment. I guess thats just how you roll? I don't see how the Camaro is 5 years too late. If it had been released in 2004; it would have destroyed 350Z/G35 sales. Then the GTR might never have been released. I agree it is late (typical GM) and should have been released at the same time as the 370Z to rain on their parade.

They roll and oversteer if the have power or roll and understeer if they are on the milder side.
I find this extremely funny since you drive a GS350

Thats a nice attitude about local companies though. Keep in mind people buy cars for various reasons and most are not performance-oriented. Most of your descriptions cover Toyota and Lexus as well so far as the handling goes (and lately the interiors, such as your GS350).

Last edited by Bean; 03-18-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 07:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Anyone see the program "How stuff works" featuring GM's Corvette factory? The paint process on those cars will trump Lexus ...
I don't know if I would go that far DASH. We have a Corvette and the paint job is better than most other GM products but it is definitely not better than our Lexus cars. I would know as I do the detailing for all of them.

Especially consider how the LS 460 is finished- painted, hand sanded down, painted again. I'm 100% sure the Corvette doesn't come close to that.

Even lower end products like the IS and GS have nearly flawless paint, application, and luster...a lot moreso than our Corvette which, FWIW, is always garaged under a car cover.
Old 03-18-09, 07:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Vette paint is applied to a body made of fiberglass stuff, not a plus.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-18-09 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 07:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know if I would go that far DASH. We have a Corvette and the paint job is better than most other GM products but it is definitely not better than our Lexus cars. I would know as I do the detailing for all of them.

Especially consider how the LS 460 is finished- painted, hand sanded down, painted again. I'm 100% sure the Corvette doesn't come close to that.

Even lower end products like the IS and GS have nearly flawless paint, application, and luster...a lot moreso than our Corvette which, FWIW, is always garaged under a car cover.
C5 Vette in Red is what your family has right? The C6 Vette is a different ball of wax.. The paint process & quality control on this series of Corvette surpasses that of the older C5 series.. I am aware of the hand sanding by the 7 craftsman that were entombed in golden huts deep in the bowels of Toyota City Japan prior to being discovered..

FYI.. Lexus is not the only car company that does this when it comes to paint application..

I will look for the vid of the GM paint process later on..
Old 03-18-09, 08:08 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GM is pulling out the stops for March, so make on offer, even on the new Camaro... I'm sitting on a offer for a 2009 Z06 MSRP of $81K for $69,000 right now... vs $58,900 for a $62K 2009 IS-F....
Screw paracticality and get the damn Z06!!!

Quick Reply: $22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!