Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big portion of Mustang sales are fleet sales to rental car companies. I think the Camaro will get some of that action.
Old 03-19-09, 09:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
A big portion of Mustang sales are fleet sales to rental car companies. I think the Camaro will get some of that action.
Would companies really want to take the risk with 300 HP Camaros? I understand Vettes are rented out, but I feel like a different crowd rents those....ones who can afford to.
Old 03-19-09, 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Would companies really want to take the risk with 300 HP Camaros? I understand Vettes are rented out, but I feel like a different crowd rents those....ones who can afford to.
Yes they might when equipped with auto trannys of course. But isn't a lower horsepower V6 also in the works too.

Vette rentals are a different story and rented at such a high cost to limit exposure.
Old 03-19-09, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I always rent the pathetic V6 Mustang convertible on my vacations in Hawaii and it is an absolute lump of crap. Its very obvius that its a truck motor dropped into a convertible. The car jumps off the line but will lose its steam at a miserable 4000 rpm.
Ford, in general, has never done much in the way of high-RPM engines. That's just not their engineering style. The 4.6L V8, however, is somewhat higher-RPM (and somewhat peakier) than the old 5.0L it replaced.
Old 03-19-09, 10:35 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I always rent the pathetic V6 Mustang convertible on my vacations in Hawaii and it is an absolute lump of crap. Its very obvius that its a truck motor dropped into a convertible. The car jumps off the line but will lose its steam at a miserable 4000 rpm.

I used to love seeing guys in these pieces of crap that try to run with G35's. I used to wave from the sunroof as I pulled

I will admit that the V6 mustang is cool for drifting in sugar cane fields. I spun the rental in the mud to the point that mud came over the side of the car and into the interior. It was great. I love rental cars and I always get the insurance
Welcome to the world of American engines. Different powerband altogether and I agree, they definitely don't make enough power as a whole. Though there are some very impressive engines on the horizon; the 3.6L in the Camaro is no slouch. You can bet it ACTUALLY makes at least 306hp; unlike the G35/350Z which claimed 300hp but never actually made the numbers. The ecoboost engine Ford has in the works looks outstanding. And high-rpms aren't everything; its all about airflow. If you use a turbo to move the extra air instead of high-rpms, you don't need a big redline. The stock Toyota Supra from 1993 had a 6800rpm redline and still made plenty of power

Funny that you talk about a G35 like its a car to aspire to I used to have fun with them in my 240sx and my SC300
Old 03-19-09, 07:49 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks pretty good, I'd take this over a Mustang or a Genesis coupe.
Old 03-19-09, 11:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

Funny that you talk about a G35 like its a car to aspire to I used to have fun with them in my 240sx and my SC300
compared to a 240sx ( I dont care if you got the red top or a freakn RB ) or a 1995 SC300 with a 2JZ swap, it is a much nicer car and a car that owners of the 2 listed cars should aspire to own one day. Step into this century man .
By the way I drive a GS350. I have stepped up from the G35. The GS 350 you can probably set your sights on as well if you want to step into this century .LOL

back to the camaro: I think its kind of lame that they hired Dale Earnhart JR to drive the Camaro in its development stages to ask for his opinion. This will only matter to a certain demographic aka " the south ". I have to say during the saving GM special I didnt see anything special on the track or off the track. I will admit the car look soooo much nicer than a Mustang, but this thing is not going to catch an EVO on the track

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-19-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-20-09, 01:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

22 grand sticker price for a car with 306 horsepower and 29 mpg highway is a value combination that the rest of the industry is trailing WELL behind on.

I like GM in general but I have to say I'm seriously surprised by those numbers. I expected more like 24-25k sticker for the V6, 260-275hp, and 26-27 highway.

If only I were interested in coupes and retro styling I'd be all over this car... but my next purchase will likely be a sedan and so I will continue to remain very interested in the new Buick LaCrosse and Ford Fusion.
Old 03-20-09, 01:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks great but is this a huge freakin car like the new Charger or smaller?
Old 03-20-09, 02:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
looks great but is this a huge freakin car like the new Charger or smaller?
It's around the same size as the Mustang, from what I saw.
Old 03-20-09, 02:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It's around the same size as the Mustang, from what I saw.
Yes that's the way it appeared to me after seeing it in person, considerably smaller than the bloated Charger.
Old 03-20-09, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes that's the way it appeared to me after seeing it in person, considerably smaller than the bloated Charger.
You can't compare the Camaro to the Charger, which, by today's standards, is a mid-to-large-size (by today's standards) 4-door sedan. Compare it, instead, to the car it was meant to compete with, the 2-door Challenger coupe, which is done on a shortened Charger/Magnum/300 platform.
Old 03-21-09, 09:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can't compare the Camaro to the Charger, which, by today's standards, is a mid-to-large-size (by today's standards) 4-door sedan. Compare it, instead, to the car it was meant to compete with, the 2-door Challenger coupe, which is done on a shortened Charger/Magnum/300 platform.
The Camaro is considerably smaller and lighter than the Challenger which is based on the bloated Charger/Magnum/300 platform. That's probably why Bagwell brought up the comparison (above).
Old 03-21-09, 09:26 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

These are sweet. I've started seeing them around
Old 03-21-09, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Camaro is considerably smaller and lighter than the Challenger which is based on the bloated Charger/Magnum/300 platform. That's probably why Bagwell brought up the comparison (above).
Not quite. The Challenger uses a shortened version of the Charger platform (just like it did 40 years ago), though it shares many drivetrain components.

Quick Reply: $22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!