Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 07:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threxx - I see your points but I tend to disagree as I've already pointed out.

IMHO, using your BMW as an example, I think BMW selected gearing in top gear to be optimal for drivability. btw- what's your EPA highway rating on that car? The 335 is certainly more aero.

In the case of the V6 Camaro getting 29mpg highway, I suspect GM selected gearing that was more optimal for gas mileage ratings and less optimal for top gear responsiveness. No big deal, key word is just "downshift".
Old 03-24-09, 10:38 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Where did you hear it takes 5 seconds at WOT for the transmission to downshift from overdrive? There's not a chance that's true.
5 seconds is a stretch though every GM vehicle I've driven does the same thing. Go WOT and there is a long delay for the transmission to downshift and the ECU exits from its fuel economy saving mode.

Let's not forget GM's infamous skip shift feature.

These all lead to exaggerated highway fuel economy numbers. And why GM in virtually every comparison does poorly in fuel efficiency and never rates well in CR fuel economy either. You'd think the company would stop deceiving people but then again that attitude is exactly why GM finds itself in its situation.

Regardless of the weight if you've look at the acceleration numbers this car is putting down it's extremely impressive for the money and fuel economy.
so far it's putting down acceleration numbers on par with the SE V6 Camry and it has a nearly identical power-to-weight ratio. Nothing that spectacular, and a new Camry comes out next year with an updated V6 with a flatter powerband. So I'd say a sports car getting numbers on par with a mid-size family car at nearly the same price isn't all that.

14.5 @ 99.9 mph (R&T)
14.3 @ 99 mph (C&D)
14.6 sec @ 97.0 mph (MT)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d+page-10.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...mry/specs.html
Old 03-25-09, 05:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Let's not forget GM's infamous skip shift feature.
What about it? It makes zero impact on highway fuel economy since it only forces a 1 to 4 shift during low speed slow acceleration and is typically only present in V8 manual transmission vehicles... not V6s or automatics (which is what I thought we were talking about).

so far it's putting down acceleration numbers on par with the SE V6 Camry and it has a nearly identical power-to-weight ratio. Nothing that spectacular, and a new Camry comes out next year with an updated V6 with a flatter powerband. So I'd say a sports car getting numbers on par with a mid-size family car at nearly the same price isn't all that.

14.5 @ 99.9 mph (R&T)
14.3 @ 99 mph (C&D)
14.6 sec @ 97.0 mph (MT)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d+page-10.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...mry/specs.html
I didn't say it was extremely impressive for the weight, did I? I said for the money, and fuel economy. The Camaro V6 runs low 14s (Edmunds has been hitting consistent 14.2s) starts at 22,900 and gets 29 highway which is an unheard of value combo anywhere out there including the Camry V6 which nobody in their right mind would be cross shopping with this car anyway, but especially the sports car world.

Cars like the Genesis V6
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hotopanel..4.*
and the Challenger V6
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hotopanel..2.*

are competition, and make the Camaro V6 look good in comparison.
Old 03-25-09, 07:33 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

What about it? It makes zero impact on highway fuel economy since it only forces a 1 to 4 shift during low speed slow acceleration and is typically only present in V8 manual transmission vehicles... not V6s or automatics (which is what I thought we were talking about).
The point is GM manipulates highway fuel economy figures in order to deceive consumers, the Camaro is just another in a long line of false highway ratings. As evidenced by every independent consumer test where GM's vehicles fail consistently to deliver on their bogus mileage claims. I'm sure the Silverado gets better fuel economy then the Tundra when nearly 10 independent tests prove the exact opposite.

But then again this is the same company that denied the IIHS a side impact test for the Silverado for years, equipped side curtain airbags w/o side torso airbags on vehicles for years, built among the least safe vehicles on the road up until 2007.

At this point most consumers have figured out what GM is all about, that is a company that resorts to deception at every possible opportunity. These days the only reason GM even exists is taxpayers are keeping them on life support.
Old 03-25-09, 07:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

You've filled this entire discussion with assumptions and references to things of no relevance to the car this thread is about or to highway fuel economy numbers... and yet GM is the manipulative one?

It's clear you love to hate GM, but let's at least wait until we have facts before starting the hate campaign against this car.
Old 03-25-09, 08:35 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm def gonna test drive this.

this will be the first american car i will test drive in my life.

304hp on regular fuel!!

that's better than what lexus has, which needs premium fuel.

304hp for $22k....... i'm there!
Old 04-26-09, 12:34 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
The point is GM manipulates highway fuel economy figures in order to deceive consumers, the Camaro is just another in a long line of false highway ratings. As evidenced by every independent consumer test where GM's vehicles fail consistently to deliver on their bogus mileage claims. I'm sure the Silverado gets better fuel economy then the Tundra when nearly 10 independent tests prove the exact opposite.

But then again this is the same company that denied the IIHS a side impact test for the Silverado for years, equipped side curtain airbags w/o side torso airbags on vehicles for years, built among the least safe vehicles on the road up until 2007.

At this point most consumers have figured out what GM is all about, that is a company that resorts to deception at every possible opportunity. These days the only reason GM even exists is taxpayers are keeping them on life support.
Good grief! What is this GARBAGE?

If only one of the engineers at GM who worked on this program had the opportunity to read this UTTER NONSENSE, they'd probably smack you in the face.
Old 04-26-09, 12:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Careful... he'll pull out carefully selected magazine tests where the 'as tested' mileage is worse relative to the GM car's EPA rated mileage than the Toyota's is.

Realistically there's just an amazing amount of ignorance and stubborn bias against the domestic brands in general here. GM just can't win against people like this. They'll always have something bad to say, even if it takes seriously stretching to make a case.
Old 04-26-09, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss

If only one of the engineers at GM who worked on this program had the opportunity to read this UTTER NONSENSE, they'd probably smack you in the face.
Then he would laugh in the clowns face for working for GM. If the guy had half a brain he would have abandoned ship a while ago. They will generally post observed mpg when they review a car because the manufacturers estimations are made in ideal situations and is set at cut and dry city OR highway. We usually drive both. The Camaro in real world driving will probably get like 23-24 mpg. Not bad for a motor with this much power, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that this car will ever get 29 mpg in real world driving . ( well maybe if your job includes driving 2-300 miles on highways only and assuming that you live 20 feet off of the highway and they dont use stop lights or stop sign where you live) LMAO
Old 04-26-09, 01:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Careful... he'll pull out carefully selected magazine tests where the 'as tested' mileage is worse relative to the GM car's EPA rated mileage than the Toyota's is.

Realistically there's just an amazing amount of ignorance and stubborn bias against the domestic brands in general here. GM just can't win against people like this. They'll always have something bad to say, even if it takes seriously stretching to make a case.
We all now GM is getting better, but real world testing by independent and objective parties will always trump your assumptions. Give some members a little credit.
Old 04-26-09, 02:24 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
We all now GM is getting better, but real world testing by independent and objective parties will always trump your assumptions. Give some members a little credit.
Wow! I can't believe I'm hearing this.
The vast majority of assumptions in this thread have been coming from Mr Jones, and now you added your own as well saying the Camaro will fail to match its EPA testing figures. I'm the ones quoting the testing of objective independent testing otherwise known as the EPA. Your reply above is about as backward as can be in the context of this discussion unless you meant to support my case and dismiss your own.

It's very hard to give the most biased anti-GM/domestic members here credit when they use childish and trite arguments like this:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Then he would laugh in the clowns face for working for GM. If the guy had half a brain he would have abandoned ship a while ago.

The Camaro in real world driving will probably get like 23-24 mpg.
Yeah probably with mixed city and highway driving, especially if you drive it without a feather foot which is how most people will drive it. You are driving a sports car... not an econo box.

there is NO WAY IN HELL that this car will ever get 29 mpg in real world driving . ( well maybe if your job includes driving 2-300 miles on highways only and assuming that you live 20 feet off of the highway and they dont use stop lights or stop sign where you live) LMAO
The EPA's highway testing would most closely mimic that of a road trip on the interstate. High speeds, almost no stopping... like you'd mostly see on interstates and such.

I'd bet you anything many (not most, but many) people will be seeing low 30s on the highway in the new Camaro... it's not hard at all to beat the EPA's ratings, especially the 2008+ model year ratings. I've done it in almost every car I've ever owned, domestic, german, and japanese.
Old 04-27-09, 07:25 AM
mr. j

Any issue of CR will suffice and 75% of comparision tests where GM models fail to deliver in mileage.