Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 03:58 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!

Build your own!

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/#

And if you have $30K, you can get the 426HP, 8:20 nurburgring storming SS version.

MONSTER PRESENCE, high value and one heckuva car! Be proud. This is what this country's engineers can do when management isn't pushing them down the wrong direction. (infact, even when management IS on the wrong track, they managed to pull this off!)

Chief Engineer video walkaround:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/903169995

Last edited by rosskoss; 03-17-09 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 04:49 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

my goodness i'm loving the muscle comeback

Old 03-17-09, 04:53 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

wow...

$33K for a 1SS even with options!!
Old 03-17-09, 05:02 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

do you think dealers will charge a premium?

i am pretty sure they are not going to be below msrp, regardless the economy
Old 03-17-09, 05:06 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by ssmoked
do you think dealers will charge a premium?

i am pretty sure they are not going to be below msrp, regardless the economy
This is a high volume car. If you don't find one at a fair price at one dealer, just move to the next.

Premiums may last for all of 1-2 weeks and would affect only those people who just have to be first in line.

Last edited by rosskoss; 03-17-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 05:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think this is awesome. This and the Genesis Coupe V6 for $25K are great deals. All I need to know is if the car has good handling characteristics.

Surprised I havent seen any reviews yet.
Old 03-17-09, 05:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm liking the initial info on this direct injected 300 hp V6 Camaro....................
Old 03-17-09, 05:32 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by GFerg
I think this is awesome. This and the Genesis Coupe V6 for $25K are great deals. All I need to know is if the car has good handling characteristics.

It's even a better deal considering that the base engine is 306HP on 87 octane gas! And 29 mpg highway is as good as a Civic Si!

And as for handling -

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/07/22...rgring-in-820/
Old 03-17-09, 05:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Not bad. 29mpg. Guess tall 6-speed trannies and DI do wonders on the highway.
Old 03-17-09, 06:31 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally Posted by GFerg

"GM is keeping our — and every other publications’ — impressions of the car under wraps until Friday at 5 p.m. EST."

Source: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...hotos-out.html
Old 03-17-09, 06:34 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All this talk from GM as well as previewing of the Camaro. By the time they actually get this car into showrooms, the hype and drama will be over. GM,, just build the car already and get it into the showrooms. I think they are on the right track with this, however it needs to get into the hands of the people who want it as well; not just tell em about it.
Old 03-17-09, 06:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats a great deal for the money, but like most american cars it probably handles like crap. I saw a video on the speed channel showing how they designed the car and it didnt look like a track killer, just a typical american car. Its only good if you accelerate in a straight line. I will admit that the idea of that much power, that kind of mpg , and for that price you probably are going to get a damn decent car, but to actually give the Nurburgring lap time is a funny thing for a camaro or any Mareican car short of a vette or Viper

The cars I saw on TV were preproduction models so I am not saying the production version will be the same, BUT I dont have a lot of faith in GM or any American car company or american car for that matter
Old 03-17-09, 06:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If they made them handle any better (using independent F/R suspension), the price goes up and there goes the appeal.

Finally we're seeing more sport-oriented cars. For some times now, we've had boring cars.
Old 03-17-09, 06:53 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by trukn1
All this talk from GM as well as previewing of the Camaro. By the time they actually get this car into showrooms, the hype and drama will be over. GM,, just build the car already and get it into the showrooms. I think they are on the right track with this, however it needs to get into the hands of the people who want it as well; not just tell em about it.

Old 03-17-09, 07:01 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thats a great deal for the money, but like most american cars it probably handles like crap. I saw a video on the speed channel showing how they designed the car and it didnt look like a track killer, just a typical american car. Its only good if you accelerate in a straight line. I will admit that the idea of that much power, that kind of mpg , and for that price you probably are going to get a damn decent car, but to actually give the Nurburgring lap time is a funny thing for a camaro or any Mareican car short of a vette or Viper

The cars I saw on TV were preproduction models so I am not saying the production version will be the same, BUT I dont have a lot of faith in GM or any American car company or american car for that matter

Saying that American cars only go in a straight line is like saying women should stay at home and not work - a view that should have died 20 years ago.

Terrible...

And FWIW, if you can point out where most American cars that handle like crap in their respective segments (eg: Camry vs Fusion vs Malibu), I'd love to know. Please stop spreading ignorance especially in this day and age when the entire automotive industry AND country are literally a short steps away from collapse. Support local industry when you can.

Maybe because I've had the opportunity to live outside the US for so many years....I've had the opportunity to see first-hand the strong patriotism and lack of "fair trade" that exists outside this country.

Last edited by rosskoss; 03-17-09 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: $22k, 306HP, 87 Octane, 29mpg Camaro Debuts!