Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automatic Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 09:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all might want to keep in mind that the automatic car washes recycle their water, at least in Cali - you couldn't operate one of those washes using non recycled water in any city that I know of. They make great claims on their settling tanks and filters but that high pressure water stream was also used to get the sand and metal shavings off of that pickup that goes through right before you do. If I am going to risk anything and it is only very lightly dusty, I will try dusting it with a Cali Car Duster although even those scratch. All in all, I'll wait until either I can wash it or get to the detailer for a mini detail.
Old 03-18-09, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I run my Lexus through a major high end car wash every single week and my car looks better than most of the other members. I wax,polish , or spray wax the car every week. seriously every week. Thats how I roll. I cant drive a dirty car. Not even for a second.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Car Washes-img_0081.jpg  
Old 03-18-09, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel that some of you guys are being a little conservative. I am **** and its been ok for me. Clearly.

Plus in AZ thats all we have are higher end automatic car washes. Its not like running through a wash at a freakn gas station. I want to see another beat these reflection shots. NO SWIRLS
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Car Washes-img_0038.jpg  
Old 03-19-09, 06:50 AM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, guys. I sent my month-old car through the automatic once, but I'll switch to the handwash now.

I browsed through the Automotive Car & Detailing forum, but the folks there are pretty hardcore.

I'll start out with a soapy wash, rinse, dry with microfiber, and pick up a buffer to apply some wax. Is that good enough to get started?
Old 03-19-09, 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that using a carefully selected high end car wash is okay, and the only one that I use is a hand wash.
Old 03-19-09, 08:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It really depends on your particular view of your car. For some it is a museum piece that must be carefully dabbed, coddled, and tucked in at night. For others it is an appliance that will serve for a few years and be replaced by another.

For the former, if your hobby includes hours of detailing - performed as a regular weekend ritual, by you or someone you hire for the job, that's fine. Sadly I live in a world where pollen, dust, rain, and road grime have to co-exist with my car. I don't have the hours to spend dusting every cranny.

If you are of the opinion that a car is a utilitarian necessity, any good carwash will do. However there a few differences . . .
  • "Touchless" washes rearrange the dirt by spraying high-pressure mud and powerful chemicals on your vehicle. The result is usually an improvement, removing light dust and pollen, but leaves the stubborn grime and a light haze over all.

• "Brush" washes can damage the finish, particularly if the brushes are not changed regularly. The water in these facilities is no better than in the touchless washes, but at least the surface is scrubbed, seldom leaving much grime behind, but that fine patina of silt remains.

• Hand washes are certainly better, but there can be drawbacks - particularly when minimum wage mouth-breathers take the wheel. I've had a transmission graunched pretty well by a crew of simians who had never driven a stickshift, and one brand new company car nearly totaled when said yard ape couldn't find the brake and crashed heavily into the car ahead. I still can't figure how he got up enough speed on the lot to fully stroke the 5mph bumpers and bend the frame, destroying everything forward of the fan. At least it is good to know that Spicoli found work.
Hand washing and waxing in your own driveway is always best, but in cold weather or when pressed for time, a good neighborhood carwash is gold.

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-19-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-19-09, 12:41 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Good post Lil4X. I agree. Another thing to beware of in car washes - dont ever let them dry your car, they use towels with god knows what in them, and if its cold, they can have coats with zippers that can scratch your car when they lean over it.

I typically hand wash mine except during the winter. Here are the products I use:

Meguiars NXT carwash
Klasse AIO polish
Optima ultimate paint protection (polymer wax)
black magic liquid car wax (carnuba wax)
Claying
Poor Boys quick shine detailer.

I do use a laser wash in the winter though, its good for cleaning the salt on the undercarriage.
Old 03-20-09, 02:47 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

No! Do not take GS to the auto car wash if you like your paint. I think his question was about the larger rims fitting into the auto rail system of the track pull auto car wash. The width of the rims will fit but, cus of the lower profiles tires, the rims will slide a lightly scrape the rails. SUV & other cars with the same width tires fit also but the tires are the only thing that will rub the rail.
Old 03-20-09, 04:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

As I posted originally, if you are happy with the results from your local "brillo shine" auto wash quick wax and universal vacuum, don't tempt fate. Just keep running it through. Once you go down the other road, described as "hard core", you can never go back. There is nothing like someone remarking on how nice my car looks and then tells me they always use the local "brillo shine" on theirs including their three week old new car. Then I walk over and start showing them what condition their exterior is in. Don't get me wrong, not all are from the car wash. The above exchanged happened to me from someone who not only thought I was a fool for using a bra (on the car) but actually had "heard" (pre-Internet) how much damage bras do to the front end. Then I pointed out the stone chips in his three week old car.

For those of you here who have those bills for the products and know the exquisite pain in your arms from a weekend with the Porter Cable, you know what I am talking about. And you might not agree but my opinion is if you can't tell the difference, then be happy with the auto wash. It is so much more difficult (and expensive) once you go down the "hard core" path. Even if a guy does walk up to you at the gas station and offer to buy your eight year old car. That one happened too and it wasn't because he knew anything about the car other than the way it looked. One of the best, and worst, days in my life was when I got my first detailer from a guy who was also working on a Ferrari for Pebble Beach. Started a long relationship until he passed away. I am no where near as good as he was (and never will be) but I learned a lot and can appreciate every dollar spent on a good detail job.