Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The New 2010 Lexus RX Spots Features a New Voice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 09:07 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Just heard the Sloyan Mitsubishi commercial, something like "according to Intellichoice...is it BMW? No. Lexus? No...It's Mitsubishi"
Brilliant marketing by Mitsubishi, really. Sloyan's voice is Lexus--it's distinctive and has been around so long that they are synonymous. And Lexus let him go, so now all the positive brand equity he brought could have just disappeared. Instead, Mitsubishi is turning it to their advantage.

The ad talking about how the top-of-the-line Lancer outperforms the IS-F at less than half the price doesn't hurt, either. I even liked the snarky taunt asking how, in today's economy, anyone can justify paying more to get less.
Old 03-19-09, 10:27 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^
Old 03-19-09, 10:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
Brilliant marketing by Mitsubishi, really. Sloyan's voice is Lexus--it's distinctive and has been around so long that they are synonymous. .
Actually his voice was stale and synonymous by a stale product line. His voice was good back in the past. It is good Lexus is taking a new direction.

And Lexus let him go, so now all the positive brand equity he brought could have just disappeared. Instead, Mitsubishi is turning it to their advantage.
There is absolutely no advantage here. When the decision came down to let him go or keep him. I am sure the marketing guys thought about a non competition buy out. His voice is stale.
Old 03-19-09, 10:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

someone post a video of the mitsu commercial....
Old 03-19-09, 11:08 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

They have different commercials for it here (along with a different voice):
RX450h
There is also an RX350 commercial, but it's not online.
Old 03-20-09, 06:50 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Actually his voice was stale and synonymous by a stale product line. His voice was good back in the past. It is good Lexus is taking a new direction.

There is absolutely no advantage here. When the decision came down to let him go or keep him. I am sure the marketing guys thought about a non competition buy out. His voice is stale.
And clearly this is the reasoning Lexus marketing used. Time will tell which of us is right!

All I know is that my office has a radio playing in the background and usually I tune it out. As soon as I heard "that voice" my brain started paying attention because I thought it was a new Lexus ad. And the punch line was very effective--when he said "Mitsubishi" it REALLY got my attention because I didn't know all this about Lexus having a new voice.

Will I go trade in my GS on a new Evo? No. But that voice is as much a part of Lexus marketing as their signature typeface. One could argue that the typeface is stale and needs updating, too, but there's 20 years of brand consciousness burned into a desirable segment of the marketplace when they see that font or hear that voice.
Old 03-20-09, 08:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Brilliant marketing by Mitsubishi, really. Sloyan's voice is Lexus--it's distinctive and has been around so long that they are synonymous. And Lexus let him go, so now all the positive brand equity he brought could have just disappeared. Instead, Mitsubishi is turning it to their advantage.

The ad talking about how the top-of-the-line Lancer outperforms the IS-F at less than half the price doesn't hurt, either. I even liked the snarky taunt asking how, in today's economy, anyone can justify paying more to get less.
Mitsu is truly pimping this guy... Gotta love it!
Old 03-23-09, 07:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't get why Lexus would let him go--the Mitsu commercial fooled me. It's no accident that's his new gig, as opposed to say doing commercials for an airline.
Old 03-23-09, 11:03 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivanz
They have different commercials for it here (along with a different voice):
RX450h
There is also an RX350 commercial, but it's not online.
Thanks for the link, that's the Lexus Canada voice which sounds younger and more laid-back.
Old 04-22-09, 08:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Here's the Mitsubishi "FUN" radio ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyf_EGgzYvo

Talk about bitter.

"For the past 20 years, people have been obsessed with the pursuit of overpriced luxury cars...thank god those days are over. Finally I can loosen my tie and have some ******* fun".

LMAO!

Last edited by flipside909; 04-22-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-30-09, 09:29 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i liked the original voice. i wonder if it was about $$$$$ or if Lexus just wanted a change.
Old 04-30-09, 11:09 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

My guess is the original guy put in his two cents aobut the stupid idrive they are starting to use in the new cars and they canned him.
Old 04-30-09, 12:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I consider it a non-event.
Old 09-07-09, 07:24 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did Lexus change spokesman

The original guy was far better.
Old 09-07-09, 07:34 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

you mean the voice in the ad?
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/03/1...tch-permanent/

A Lexus spokeswoman said the marketer wanted a voiceover that “could appeal to a broad audience that can encapsulate our brand as it moves forward.” Lexus “did a lot of research” and found that Remar’s pipes filled the bill, she said. Several auto pundits are aghast, criticizing the automaker and its shop, Team One, for discarding the strong brand equity Sloyan brought to its ads.

Last edited by UberNoob; 09-07-09 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: The New 2010 Lexus RX Spots Features a New Voice