Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick & Jaguar Dethrone Lexus in Reliability Survey (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 08:32 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't worry to much...they won't be around much longer lol
Old 03-19-09, 09:48 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar and Buick now # 1 in quality,, DUH,,

just read the below article on USA today's web site,, Lexus is now in second place for owners of three years reporting problems,,

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...iability_N.htm

have a neighbor with a new Buick Lucerne and it is nice but no where near my 430,, fit and finish are above the normal GM standard but ya can still tell it is a GM product,,

only friend with recent year a Jag lives in the DC area,, he had to have the entire rear end reworked to eliminate a noise and slight vibration,, have to say they did fix the oil drips and started using gaskets in them,,

Derry
Old 03-19-09, 09:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Jag is #1? Haha how much did they pay to JD Powers to get that? The new XK and XJ has all kinds of serious problems...power steering wheel fails, windows roll down motor failure, etc...You know those fancy air vents that rolls up and down like curtains? that won't last long overtime.
Old 03-19-09, 09:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I don't give much credit to JD Power stuff.
Old 03-19-09, 10:10 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Being in the business, Ive learned: money talks
Yeah I don't think Jaguar has the money to spare, lol
Old 03-19-09, 10:29 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

ouch. jauguar? really?
Old 03-19-09, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Buick's top J.D. Power reliability ranking (Consumer Reports also gives the Buick Lucerne and Lacrosse relatively high reliability marks), is probably not surprising, for several reasons. One, Buick has publically declared Lexus as the target (and standard) they were going after, and they have to deliver, at least to an extent, on that promise. Two, while Buick is not exclusively a Grandpa/Grandma car (some younger people drive them.....we have had a lot of discussion about that in other threads), the fact is that a LOT of old people DO drive Buicks, and they can't be constantly breaking down in the middle of nowhere, even with OnStar to help them. Three, with Pontac, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, and Saab divisions all with their futures in doubt, GM needs a showcase division besides Cadillac to argue for why it needs bailout money to stay in existance.

However, Buick, IMO, is not Lexus YET. The reliability is getting there, but Buick interiors, despite some surface-glitz improvements in the last few years (especially the Enclave), are still GM-plastic underneath.....and, IMO, still not very impressive. And the typical Lexus powertrain-smoothness and noise isolation still edges out that of Buick.
Old 03-19-09, 10:36 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not surprised at Buick, they've been near the top/above average for a few years now. But Jaguar? Seriously? Did they completely strip out the electrical systems on the test cars?
Old 03-19-09, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Not surprised at Buick, they've been near the top/above average for a few years now. But Jaguar? Seriously? Did they completely strip out the electrical systems on the test cars?
The old Lucas electrical systems that gave so much trouble on Jaguars and other British makes are gone, and haven't been used for over 20 years now.
However, a number of European-designed cars, as you note, still have electrical-syatem problems, but, still, you can't compare them to the old Lucas nightmares.
Old 03-19-09, 11:00 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

As long as Lexus fixes everything on the recalls I'm happy with my car. Jag is BLAHHH to me!!!
Old 03-19-09, 11:05 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

jaguarss blow..rather have a lexus/audi/benz/bmw over either of those companies duhhh..i mean we all know the dash rattles, but when your cruisin with sum music and the f-sport intake is showin love at 3000rpm, well u kinda forget ur in a lex
Old 03-19-09, 11:10 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

The ratings are only as reliable as the data they collect. How come this is VERY different from the CR reliability ratings?
Old 03-19-09, 11:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Purely subjective

Originally Posted by CG lover
just read the below article on USA today's web site,, Lexus is now in second place for owners of three years reporting problems,,

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...iability_N.htm

have a neighbor with a new Buick Lucerne and it is nice but no where near my 430,, fit and finish are above the normal GM standard but ya can still tell it is a GM product,,

only friend with recent year a Jag lives in the DC area,, he had to have the entire rear end reworked to eliminate a noise and slight vibration,, have to say they did fix the oil drips and started using gaskets in them,,

Derry
All these "reporting" articles like Consumer Report, JD Powers, etc. are all based on users very SUBJECTIVE reports of what they see as issues. A slight misaligned trunk lid on a Buick will probably not even be noticed by the GM owner, while the same misalignment would probably be reported by the Lexus owner. I'd like to see how the numbers would be if you took a GM owner, put him/her in a Lexus for three years and put a Lexus owner in a GM for three years, how the numbers would be and what would be reported.

It's all owner's expectations and I believe the GM owners do not expect the quality that a Lexus owner would expect. So, when the Lexus fails to live up to those expectations (right or wrong) then it's reported, while the GM owner most likely will say "emmm... that's not bad..."
Old 03-19-09, 11:49 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to Jaguar and Buick...they seem to be nipping at Lexus' heels, and in both cases, tying/passing Lexus (2007 VDS; 2007 CSI). As noted by MPLexus301, the 2006 new models had some issues, which likely affected Lexus' ratings, and thus they are now a close #2. I hope that in the coming years they can regain the top spot.
Old 03-19-09, 11:50 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Originally Posted by Allen K
Very true. I hope Jag keeps the quality up because I'm loving the new XF
Jaguar will go down sharply in the next few survey.

this 2009 survey reflects quality of cars came out in 2006.
and XF has a lot of problem after it's released in 2007 or 08.

Quick Reply: Buick & Jaguar Dethrone Lexus in Reliability Survey (merged threads)