Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick & Jaguar Dethrone Lexus in Reliability Survey (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 11:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The old Lucas electrical systems that gave so much trouble on Jaguars and other British makes are gone, and haven't been used for over 20 years now.
However, a number of European-designed cars, as you note, still have electrical-syatem problems, but, still, you can't compare them to the old Lucas nightmares.
I don't know anything about Lucas but the 2000 XJ8 we had was far and away the worst POS we ever owned and the electrical components were the icing on the cake. Windows and sunroof worked when they wanted to- sometimes they just went down on their own, sometimes they wouldn't go up, radio was continually being replaced, blinkers would go haywire, ABS lights and warnings were constantly on, the list goes on and on.

So, IMO and based on personal experience, Jaguar had certainly NOT improved in the last 20 years. The last 7? Maybe, because we haven't owned one since then and I couldn't tell you, but the one we had should have been driven right into a ditch.
Old 03-19-09, 11:56 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Congrats to Jaguar and Buick...they seem to be nipping at Lexus' heels, and in both cases, tying/passing Lexus (2007 VDS; 2007 CSI). As noted by MPLexus301, the 2006 new models had some issues, which likely affected Lexus' ratings, and thus they are now a close #2. I hope that in the coming years they can regain the top spot.
so are you saying in 2007, lexus fixed the problems with 3GS and 2IS?
Old 03-19-09, 12:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A note on the vehicle data courtesy of TrueDelta:

http://truedelta.com/blog/

Jaguar and Buick tie for the top spot in J.D. Power’s 2009 VDS. What’s up with this?

More to the point, there were no new Jaguar designs in 2006. And what “they” say about car designs in their first year is often true.

In comparison, Buick had one mostly-new model in 2006, the Lucerne, and Lexus had two all-new models, the GS and IS.

So let Jaguar enjoy their top position while it lasts. The 2007 XK will probably put a dent in next year’s score. And in three years the 2009 XF will have an impact.

And Buick and Lexus? The Enclave will factor into Buick’s scores in two years. Based on TrueDelta’s current data, Buick will likely fall from the top but remain above average. The Lexus LS was redesigned for 2007, but they tend to avoid first-year bugs with this one.
Aside from the wind noise problem...

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
so are you saying in 2007, lexus fixed the problems with 3GS and 2IS?
I was simply referring to what MPLexus301 alluded to...I have not enough inside knowledge to say otherwise, although Consumer Reports did return improved test results for reliability for the 3GS later on.
Old 03-19-09, 12:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
All these "reporting" articles like Consumer Report, JD Powers, etc. are all based on users very SUBJECTIVE reports of what they see as issues. A slight misaligned trunk lid on a Buick will probably not even be noticed by the GM owner, while the same misalignment would probably be reported by the Lexus owner. I'd like to see how the numbers would be if you took a GM owner, put him/her in a Lexus for three years and put a Lexus owner in a GM for three years, how the numbers would be and what would be reported.

It's all owner's expectations and I believe the GM owners do not expect the quality that a Lexus owner would expect. So, when the Lexus fails to live up to those expectations (right or wrong) then it's reported, while the GM owner most likely will say "emmm... that's not bad..."
AlexusAnja, I quoted you earlier today on the RX thread. I think you put it best in an earlier posting when you said, "Lexus is in a very very dangerous middle ground right now."
I'm not too concerned with J.D. Power's as I think their angle is all about money. All the surveys I have ever received from them came within the first weeks of ownership during the honeymoon period. How can such a survey be accurate? I am more concerned with what I hear from the rest on you on here with your reports of door panels separating and unfixable wind noise.
I hope Lexus doesn't forget what made them great; dependability and customer service.
Old 03-19-09, 01:18 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Yo'all ain't gonna believe this crap!

Check this out!

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...NsawNhcF9qYWc-

I'm on my way to a Buick dealer!
Old 03-19-09, 01:20 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ty-survey.html
Old 03-19-09, 01:21 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

jaguar? that's pretty amazing.. xf or whatever it's called, the one that looks like an aston from the back is so sexy
Old 03-19-09, 01:38 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at where Benz and BMW at, in the middle of the list. Yet, people still buy those cars. So, I would not worry too much.
Old 03-19-09, 01:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Look at where Benz and BMW at, in the middle of the list. Yet, people still buy those cars. So, I would not worry too much.
I can't get too concerned either. Of course Lexus needs to stay focused on quality, but they know who their real competition is.

Good points, especially when you see how successful the current gen C-classes and 3 series are today. But when Benz redesigned the C-class they engineered in the quality this time, because they were well aware of their recent crappy reputation for reliability/quality earned over the last 7 years or so.
Old 03-19-09, 02:09 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by Gekko
WTF? something sounds fishy to me. jaguar goes from #10 in 2008 to #1 in 2009? did someone get bribed?
definitely!!! how can a faguar compete with toyo,lexus? totally impossible
Old 03-19-09, 02:23 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buick is determined to be the American Lexus.. They're doing a great job lately and their upcoming LaCrosse is going to be a major hit... Watch for a SERIOUS GS competitor from Buick in the not so distant future...
Old 03-19-09, 02:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Buick is determined to be the American Lexus.. They're doing a great job lately and their upcoming LaCrosse is going to be a major hit... Watch for a SERIOUS GS competitor from Buick in the not so distant future...
I saw the new LaCrosse at the Chicago Auto Show. It was up on a turntable, so you couldn't sit in it - But VERY nice IMO. Their biggest challenge will be to appeal to a wider audience with their new offerings.
Old 03-19-09, 02:57 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw the new LaCrosse at the Chicago Auto Show. It was up on a turntable, so you couldn't sit in it - But VERY nice IMO. Their biggest challenge will be to appeal to a wider audience with their new offerings.
I'm anxious to see what the interior feels like to sit in. It's very innovative and new age looking. I like it - a lot.. The exterior is pretty nice as well. It seems that the blander the vehicle, the more people like it. I guess that's because it doesn't offend anybody. Though sometimes odd looking cars grow on people. When I first saw the original Cadillac CTS, I hated it - but it grew on me. I have a feeling we're going to see a LOT of Buick LaCrosse's on the road...

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 03-19-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 02:58 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Default JD Edwards.... are they smoking something?

They published today, Jaguar and Buick beat Lexus for the first time, knocking Lexus to #3 in reliability.

Um, who did they survey, the 90 year olds who drive those rides wouldn't know if something was wrong with their car unless the wheel fell off?

I was laughing, but scared at the same time!!!!

Lee
Old 03-19-09, 03:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wasn't surprised by buick as i was with jaguar

jaguar?!?!?

the XF has so many problems right now.
and i don't remember jag ever being considered a reliable brand.

but it's ok. lexus didn't fall off the map.
the rattle problems in the IS/GS/ES must've killed its rank these past 3 years

Quick Reply: Buick & Jaguar Dethrone Lexus in Reliability Survey (merged threads)