Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did a good thing today, but I feel bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 06:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

A big question, of course is did you sell him at least a halfway reliable car? From your description of it, the answer seems to be yes....at least for now. I know you are a mechanic/technician and probably took good care of it, although Cavaliers, in general, have not been known for good build quality, and use a lot of cheap parts. I'll take your word for it, though, that yours held up.

Oh yeah, its reliable. I wouldnt dream of passing it off to someone in a situation like this if it wasnt, in fact, I probably would have junked it...but i couldnt kill it. LOL. It wasnt perfect, th einterior rattled. its basic transport, which is better than what he has now.

As far as the hospital bill goes, I will look into it, and I may just take care of it myself, depending on how much it is.
Old 03-19-09, 07:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

What you did was a great thing, many wouldn't be as generous as you. Like others have said you should have given it to him for 500 and said pay me back later on when most convinient and when your finances are in better condition. Another great idea was paying for his medical bills with the extra money he gave you
Old 03-19-09, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
What you did was a great thing, many wouldn't be as generous as you. Like others have said you should have given it to him for 500 and said pay me back later on when most convinient and when your finances are in better condition. Another great idea was paying for his medical bills with the extra money he gave you
I agree. You have been quite generous.

But, since he is in the Army and serving his country, the military should be doing its share to help the family, too.
Old 03-19-09, 07:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^ While i myself would never serve in the military (mainly because it just isn't for me) I give props to those who do, its quite a commitment. Is this guy on leave or something, i would think his son having lukeimia would be reason enough for then to let him stay home and pay for his bills, am i correct?
Old 03-20-09, 06:05 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

No he isnt on leave per-se, he is on a non-depolyable status though, meaning he has to be within 50 miles of his family at ALL times. He still works his army job 0900-1700 (9-5) and does PT, but the army will not let him go anywhere.

Well, I will be making a call today to find out just how much the bill is, I may just go pay it myself. IIRC It is only like ~$2,000 left on it...So I may just write the hospital a check.
Old 03-20-09, 06:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Well, I will be making a call today to find out just how much the bill is, I may just go pay it myself. IIRC It is only like ~$2,000 left on it...So I may just write the hospital a check.
that's what I would do...some people just will not accept charity....so just do it anonymously.

I'll be glad to donate $50 for the cause....PAYPAL info?
Old 03-20-09, 09:03 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Josh you are a great, good man! I certainly understand your feelings of guilt at not being able to talk him out of paying you for the car, but I can understand he still has his pride, despite desperate circumstances. By letting him pay you, you have given him that back.

The deal you offered him for an "extended warranty" is good for both of you. You are a fine mechanic and are very familiar with the car. You could potentially save him a lot of labor costs if something does break, wear out, or fall off.

If you want to look into a way you and your buddies can contribute, give St. Jude's a call. They probably already have a way for the public to make donations in the boy's name. That would save you the trouble and the potential tax and legal problems of setting up your own trust for the kid, plus through their matching funds or sponsorships, St. Jude's might have a way to multiply anything you can contribute.

http://www.stjude.org/donate?plt=STJGENLKALSAC0900002

If there is a way you can make a personal contribution, that's great, but when you get others involved, say in your unit there on base, you can do so much more to help out. It might be worth a call to your base chaplain to see if there is an official program that can help this young soldier and his family. We will remember them in prayer.
Old 03-20-09, 09:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

donate the extra $500 to a children's cancer non-profit
Old 03-20-09, 11:45 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Well I called nearest St Judes (his hospital), and donated. I figured it was the best way to ease my consience.

For those that offered, I dont have paypal, had a bad experience with them and wont use them. Its quite alright, thanks though.

PS: when he opens the glove box on the car, he is going to find his cash.
Old 03-20-09, 12:10 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell him he bought the car for $200, saving him fees.

But yea, that's a sad story man, but great job for taking effort to help him out what you can.

If you still feel bad. do a fund raiser for the guy with your Army buddies or base.
Old 03-20-09, 02:52 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woah.. very generous.

& look into the hershey medical center.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If you were to see them again send them to the Hershey Medical center in central PA. The Four Diamonds Fund covers treatment, drugs, hotel rooms, car expenses, rent if need be for kids fighting cancer. It may be a drive for them, but they wouldn't have to pay anything. We raised $7.5 million this year at Penn State for families like this to benefit from.

And I laud your concern for these people. So many people I encounter today ask "whats in it for me?" when it comes to helping others.
WE ARE!
Old 03-20-09, 04:03 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Well folks. Its taken care of. I ended up delivering the car this morning.
I took the money and put it in the glovebox when I delivered the car today. I called him an hr later and told him to go look in the glovebox and call me back.

I left the cash, still rolled up, along with a gift receipt (so he wouldnt have to pay sales tax for registration), and the signed title.

He finally accepted the gift after I did that. I also told him I made a $2500 donation under his son's account at St. Jude's to give something back. My wife and I then treated the family to dinner. It was great seeing that little boy smile again.

I dont say any of this to brag, but i honestly think the people in this world could care alot more about each other. There just arent enough compassionate people. Too many of us are always worried about ourselves and we turn a blind eye saying "it isnt my problem". I dont want to be one of those people. I have been on hard times, as have we all, and I, like all of you have been guilty of selfishness at one point or another.

I feel much better.
Old 03-20-09, 05:23 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it's people like you in this world which remind me that all people are not idiots and there are some very compasionate people. You sir, not for the purpose of bragging, are my new AMERICAN HERO, and I aspire to be just like you. THANK YOU for reminding each of us that there are some things more important in this world than ourselves. You truly have touched the lives of this family in such a BIG way with such a generous act.
Old 03-20-09, 05:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commend the action taken, very generous.
Old 03-21-09, 10:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Such a heart warming story and a generous action Josh
There's nothing more rewarding than to see a child smile.

Good karma will definitely take good care of you

Quick Reply: Did a good thing today, but I feel bad...