Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did a good thing today, but I feel bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 04:17 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Did a good thing today, but I feel bad...

So...today, I sold my 1996 Cavalier Coupe. This car was bulletproof. Couldnt be killed, i am convinced. I had not planned on selling it but something kind of fell in my lap.

A soldier I am in charge of has a 3 year old boy. His young boy was diagnosed with Lukeimia (Sp?)about a year ago. I dont know the details, but I can tell you the man offered me $1,500. It was $500 more than I paid. I told him I would sell it to him for $1000 which is what i paid and I have put about $500 in it, so i figured it was a good deal. He INSISTED on giving me $1500. So I took it. he had no car, needed something reliable (which it was). His wife is pregnant with their second (high-risk pregnancy), and with his sons hospital bills (prior to his entrance in the military), his credit was ruined to make way. His car was repoed, he lost his house all prior to coming into the military.

With all this, i offered just to give him the car, as they need it and I do not. They wouldnt have that, and insisted on giving me all but $500 of their savings.

Should I feel bad for accepting? The car is worth $1,300. I accpted $200 more than that, from a family that needs money and prayers in equal amounts right now. Their medical bills from his entry into service on are covered by tricare, however his son's first year of chemo/radiation was not covered. Chemo is alot of money.

Am I a selfish bastard?
Old 03-19-09, 04:25 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to judge and I can only speak for myself. Personally, I couldn't and wouldn't have accepted the money. I'm heartbroken just reading about their story through an internet post.

But it's not over. Now that you've accepted their money...it'd be great if you could get their information and set up a paypal donation site so that CL members can donate money. That would be greater than the $1500 that he gave you and it would only be a joy to help.
Old 03-19-09, 04:26 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you are not selfish, you offered to but they insisted on giving you the money. Nevertheless, I would give him the money back and let him keep the car. Their situation says it all and they need that money. Hopefully his son does well with chemo, and their baby on the way is born healthy despite the high risk.
Old 03-19-09, 04:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I have not delivered the car yet. I will be tomorrow. maybe I should stick the cash in the glovebox and tell him after I drop it off?

They are not the kind of people to take "donations". As much as they appreciate it, they would rather have prayers. With his insurance through the military now, everything is covered, its just that first year they are trying to play catch-up. His attitude would be "thanks guys, but we got it."
Old 03-19-09, 05:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that you are honestly concerned is positive and I'm sure you will do the right thing for the situation. Try to do what you can without making them uncomfortable is all I can suggest.
Old 03-19-09, 05:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were to see them again send them to the Hershey Medical center in central PA. The Four Diamonds Fund covers treatment, drugs, hotel rooms, car expenses, rent if need be for kids fighting cancer. It may be a drive for them, but they wouldn't have to pay anything. We raised $7.5 million this year at Penn State for families like this to benefit from.

And I laud your concern for these people. So many people I encounter today ask "whats in it for me?" when it comes to helping others.
Old 03-19-09, 05:38 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Meh, its not like its alot of money. Its $1500. im not too concerned about that. Even if it was $15,000, the situation would be the same. Their hospital is Currently St. Jude's in Syracuse. Everything is free there too. But I appreciate the offer, if need be we will send them that way.

I have reached an agreement with the guy that we both can live with. I will keep $1,000 of the money he gave, the other $500 I will give back. In addition to that, any problems that come up with the car I will fix for him (saving labor) if he supplies parts. I feel a little better now.
Old 03-19-09, 05:43 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you worked out a good deal for helping this guy out, awesome!
Old 03-19-09, 06:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, since he did pay you extra, maybe you can fix up the car for him. like this-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-be-hatin.html
Old 03-19-09, 06:06 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default You guys are nuts!

Don't feel bad, people come up with some messed up stories all the time so you can feel bad about them and what not....

I am sure they have much more money than you think.
Old 03-19-09, 06:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Don't feel bad, people come up with some messed up stories all the time so you can feel bad about them and what not....

I am sure they have much more money than you think.

Dude, watch what you are saying, please. I have helped them with their finances, I know their situation, I have even driven him, his wife and his son to the hospital for chemo treatments.

If you think this is all a lie, you might oughtta re-read the original post. Its a SOLDIER, and his FAMILY we are talking about.

This was NOT the reason I put this thread up.
Old 03-19-09, 06:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't think you are selfish and you definately did a good thing for the family. Although he insisted on paying you for the car, I would have just given it to them or sold it to them for like $200. You yourself said that they gave you all but $500 of their savings. I would either just give him the car and send the money back later to them, or find out their infomation at the hospital where they are trying to catch that bill up and maybe apply the money he paid for the car to their hospital bill. This way, he feels that he paid for the car, and they also get 1500 knocked off of their hospital bill. This way everyone is happy. By the time he finds out the bill is reduced by $1500, what can he say? You will be helping them with not only a car, so you can smile inside, but also helping them with their overwhelming bill, and most importantly it will not be charity. My hat's off to you sir for your generosity.
Old 03-19-09, 06:35 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You are a kind and generous soul. I commend you.

Heck, we already knew that weren't a pretentious brand wh0re like many of us, seeing you pimp that Civic and Cavalier on this forum.

But seriously dude, I hope karma pays you back for your kindness.
Old 03-19-09, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are for the little boy with lukemia and for his wife to have a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby. I will offer up a Mass intention for them this weekend.

Rosskoss, IMO, had a good idea for setting up a collection site for the family. I don't donate money on-line, but, if I had their address, I might send them a personal check.

Though I don't know him personally, from your description, this man, like you, is serving his country, and, IMO, deserves better than the lot he currently has in life.

As far as the question of you being selfish, it doesn't sound like it to me. You made it clear you were not trying to gouge him in any way. He, graciously, insisted on you taking the money even though it may have been more than he could afford at the moment.

A big question, of course is did you sell him at least a halfway reliable car? From your description of it, the answer seems to be yes....at least for now. I know you are a mechanic/technician and probably took good care of it, although Cavaliers, in general, have not been known for good build quality, and use a lot of cheap parts. I'll take your word for it, though, that yours held up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-09 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 06:42 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I have reached an agreement with the guy that we both can live with. I will keep $1,000 of the money he gave, the other $500 I will give back. In addition to that, any problems that come up with the car I will fix for him (saving labor) if he supplies parts. I feel a little better now.
I think you worked out a perfect agreement. To me his insistence of paying you a fair price speaks to his great pride and integrity. So with your agreement you've given him a hand up not a hand out.

Also IMHO you driving them to appts when needed and your offer for a future repair, should one come up, was also extremely generous and I'm certain is very much appreciated.

Bottom line... Your a good man.

Best wishes and good health to him and his family.

Quick Reply: Did a good thing today, but I feel bad...