Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The e46 M3 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 02:03 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjustable side bolsters:

Were those ever available as an option on this M3?

I was sure they were but then a friend of mine (who seems to rarely be wrong about Bimmer things) said he didn't think it was ever an option on the e46 m3.

Were they? Maybe it was only an option in certain markets?
Old 06-23-09, 07:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a new E46 M3 6-speed for a while (I've also had other BMW's). I liked it, but overall I much preferred my '95 Supra which I owned at the same time and drove back-to-back with the M3 on many occasions. I lost interest in the M3 after a month or so -- I found that I always gravitated to the Supra when I had the opportunity to drive one or the other -- and sold the M3 a few months later. IMO they are good all-around car, but are waay overrated by the general public and magazine readers in terms of actual performance. They'd make a nice daily driver though.

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-23-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 08:16 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Width-adjustable lumbar support was a "separate" option. it's not a typical option you will see from stealer ordered one though. Stealers normally ordered "fully loaded" with power seats but usually not the lumbar support. So generally speaking it would had to be a car the owner specifically optioned with the lumbar support.

Originally Posted by Faymester
Adjustable side bolsters:

Were those ever available as an option on this M3?

I was sure they were but then a friend of mine (who seems to rarely be wrong about Bimmer things) said he didn't think it was ever an option on the e46 m3.

Were they? Maybe it was only an option in certain markets?
Old 06-23-09, 08:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2002 BMW M3 brochure that was on sale in the classifieds here.. It is still available if you want it Fay..

BMW cars are configured by the customer & not the dealers. This includes the old E46 M3..
Old 06-23-09, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Adjustable side bolsters is an option on e46 i believe

and actually, A LOT OF m3 are configured and ordered by dealerships for crying out loud. they don't just "wait" for customers to order
Old 06-23-09, 12:13 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
He's welcome to that silver one; I just can't trust that guy now regardless of how good a shape it seems to be in.
Yeah, seems kinda shady. My co-worker is looking for what I could never find, well close. AW on IR with SMG (I was looking for a manual) and nothing less.

As far as your seat bolsters question, I do remember one of the cars I test drove having that feature. The others I looked at and drove I do not remember for sure - wasn't something I was too concerned with.
Old 06-23-09, 12:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
Adjustable side bolsters is an option on e46 i believe

and actually, A LOT OF m3 are configured and ordered by dealerships for crying out loud. they don't just "wait" for customers to order
Keep your shirt on buddy.. A majority of the cars are customer configured & this is fact. I know mine were..
Old 06-23-09, 12:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Keep your shirt on buddy.. A majority of the cars are customer configured & this is fact. I know mine were..
I didn't know you had an M3 - when did you get one? Post pics!
Old 06-23-09, 12:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I didn't know you had an M3 - when did you get one? Post pics!
I have something coming And I stand by my comment.
Old 06-23-09, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
it's ok, i know what i am talking about. last oct when they were 13 m3 lining up at the dealership, i asked the sales and he said all those cars were dealership order, and that's why since then they limited that. i always see m3, m5, and m6 sitting at dealerships, some for months. yeah, maybe a lot of people order theirs and bail out huh. but then this is since 01-02
Old 06-23-09, 03:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the offer Dashocker, but since I'm looking at ones newer than that, I don't think the 02 brochure would be particularilly helpful; my questions would just turn into things like 'in 02 such-and-such was this way, what about later on?'. Also, I think I'm close to knowing all of what I need to. - - - - - What do you have coming hmm?

I drove a manual e46 m3 today ... LOVE IT ... I had to drive one to be sure that is the car I want AND DO I EVER! The guy at the BMW dealership was super helpful and nice, we drove a lot of stuff to be sure the manual E46 M3 is definitely what I want. It is, I want that one. Unfortunately the particular car I drove was a cab so I'm not buying that one, but my search & research continues with enthusiasm.
Old 06-23-09, 03:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't recall if these were in the ones I sent you before..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1228967300.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1235715302.html
Old 06-23-09, 03:49 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
How do you do that? I look and find MAYBE 1 & there's almost always something immediately wrong with it.
Old 06-23-09, 03:56 PM
Kevlar@BFC
Driver School Candidate

I loved my e46 m3 ... put almost 100,000 miles on it with only one major problem which ended up being covered by the emissions warranty about 72k miles in.
Old 06-24-09, 03:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
it's ok, i know what i am talking about. last oct when they were 13 m3 lining up at the dealership, i asked the sales and he said all those cars were dealership order, and that's why since then they limited that. i always see m3, m5, and m6 sitting at dealerships, some for months. yeah, maybe a lot of people order theirs and bail out huh. but then this is since 01-02
I hope you did not take my post the wrong way. I am not fussing with you. yes you will find some M3's at dealerships that have already been configured. Most of those cars are for display purposes, test drives, & the quick sale... You will be lucky to find a car at the dealership that is configured the way you like as many M3's vary in equipment, color & trim (this is a given we know). The way it usually works is after you configure the car with you CA you will be told that there is a 6 to 8 week wait for your car to arrive due to the build. The CA will call you within the 6 to 8 week period to give you the vin# of your car.. You can use the vin to track your car throughout the build by calling the 800# that will be provided to you or this production status sheet that can be e-mailed to you by your CA.. This is a very unique way of buying a car imo & makes you feel that you are spending your hard earned money on something worthy.
Attached Thumbnails The e46 M3 thread-production-status.jpg  

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-24-09 at 03:13 AM.

Quick Reply: The e46 M3 thread