Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX

By CL member request, a Review of the 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html

In a Nutshell: A relatively nice, small, AWD sport sedan, but the interior and powertrain, despite more HP/torque this year, need work.

Per CL member request, I checked out the new WRX today. I had already written a split-review of the current-generation, 2008 Impreza 2.5i and Outback Sport, but it was one of my older reviews without pictures/images, not particularly well-written or comprehensive, and, in general, I wasn't impressed with the way I had written it (I don't think I did a very good job on that review). So, I decided to start over today and do the new WRX that I had a specific request for. It was probably a good idea, anyway, since Subaru made some changes this year from last year's Impreza/WRX/STI line.

Subaru introduced the WRX line to the American market, after much cajoling from enthusiasts of the previous 165 HP GT version (dropped), about seven years ago. The WRX, a noted semi-rally Impreza version, had been available overseas for years, but Subaru officials stubbornly kept it out of the American market because they thought it wouldn't sell here (rallying is not big in the U.S.). Once they were finally persuaded to bring the WRX here, its popularity, particularly with young men and the caps-on-backward crowd, took off like Friday night free beer at Clancy's Bar....dealers simply couldn't keep them in stock. Unfortunately, the car's image, led by some Hollywood bull-****** movies like "The Fast and the Furious", led to a lot of aggressive driving, accidents, and high insurance rates, particularly with the even spunkier Subaru STi version and the Mitsubushi Evo soon to follow. Clutches and transmissions on early WRX models suffered from hard use and fast launches...the AWD prevented a lot of the normal tire-spin, so the drivetrain took a lot of the punishment instead.

The Impreza line, including the WRX/STi, got several face-lifts and mild redesigns in the intervening years.....Subaru stylists and designers couldn't quite seem to decide what they really wanted the car to look like, but a major redesign did not come until last year.....2008. The 2008 model Impreza line (its dash was shared with the also all-new new 2009 Forester) represented a true, all-new redesign, not just a minor facelift. Many complaints were received by Subaru loyalists about the new hatchback design, especially, with its French-looking, Renault-like rear end and garish taillights. However, the WRX, like the previous version, was also still available as a sedan for those who didn't like the hatchback. Complaints were also received, both from WRX fans and from the auto press, about the WRX going more "mainstream" and being softer and less sport-like in the chassis. Subaru claimed to address that this year.....I'll comment more on the chassis, of course, below.

OK...let's get to the current line-up. For 2009, Subaru has played musical chairs with the whole line-up of its Impreza models. Base, non-turbo 2.5i 4-door sedan and 5-door hatchback models continue as before, with the Outback Sport and its two-tone paint and winter gear continuing to play the upmarket, non-turbo-hatchback role. Last year's WRX, with the 224 HP turbo four and 226 ft-lbs. of torque, has been rebadged as the new Impreza GT model...the GT name was brought back after several years of demise. The new WRX, in both sedan and hatchback form, has been upgraded (probably because of the competing Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart) to a 265 HP turbo four with 244 ft-lbs. of torque.....and claimed chasis/suspension changes. A new Premium WRX series adds some standard equipment. The top-of-the line STi model carries on, in hatchback form only, with the 305 HP turbo four with 290 ft-lbs. of torque and a special, driver-controlled, programmable AWD system. All non-turbo models get a choice of a 5-speed manual and sport-shift 4-speed automatic. The turbo GT model comes only with the automatic (that's right...no manual). The WRX and WRX Premium, conversely, come only with a 5-speed manual. The STi models come only with a 6-speed manual. No vehicles in the Impreza line have yet gotten a 5-speed automatic.....an oversight that Subaru has yet to correct, even with the new 2009 models (However, I basically like the 4-speed automatic, even with its relatively low flexibility...it is smooth, quiet, and slick). Subaru offers 5 different AWD differential systems, each tailored to a specific engine-transmission combination......I won't go into all the details here.

I posted images, above, of a WRX hatchback, as the hatchback generally outsells the sedan, but I actually test-drove a WRX Premium sedan, as there was only one WRX hatchback in stock at that Subaru shop, and it was already spoken for. I sat in both sedan and hatchback models, however, to check for interior room, but my on-the-road comments, below, apply to the sedan, not the hatchback. The dealership requested that I not put a lot of miles on the WRX sedan during the test-drive, as WRX buyers tend to want as few miles on them as possible, so I agreed to hold it down. I did, however, IMO, drive it enough for a general review, though I didn't find quite as many different road surfaces to try as I'd like.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Impreza WRX Premium Sedan.

Base Price: $27,495

Options:

Satellite Radio/NAV Package: $2000

All-Weather Floor mats: $69

Auto-Dimming Compass/Mirror: $192

Destination/Freight: $695

List Price as Reviewed: $30,451

Drivetrain: Symmetrical, viscous-type AWD, horizontally-opposed, DOHC, 2.5L flat-four, 265 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 244 ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM, 5-speed manual transmission with Hill-Start Assist clutch.

EPA Mileage Rating: 18 City, 25 Highway,

Exterior Color: Dark Gray Metallic

Interior: Carbon Black Checkered Cloth

PLUSSES:

Plenty of power....if you can wait for the turbo to spool up.

Slick, smooth-operating clutch with Hill-Holder feature.

Typicically superb Subaru AWD system.

VSC stability system now standard on all Subarus.

OK ride comfort, not too stiff for this type of car.

Good, but not excellent, sport-sedan handling.

Excellent steering feel.

Generally well-done brakes.

Nice underhood gas struts now instead of a prop-rod.

Good layout underhood.

Solid exterior hardware.

Well-shaped, extremely comforable, high-back front seats.

Adequate front and rear headroom.

Attractive-looking dash, despite a lot of plastic.

Comfortable steering wheel.

Well-done controls/***** and interior hardware.

NAV/stereo controls not as complex as on some other vehicles.

New door style adds a frame for the side windows.

Nice, but not superb, paint job.

Some nice paint colors....but a limited choice.

MINUSES:

Too much turbo lag.

Typical Subaru flat-four engine noise.

Noticeable body roll.

Long, wobbly shift lever.

Ugly-looking (IMO) hood scoop.

Too much hard plastic inside.

Ultra-cheap sun visors and headliner.

Poorly-finished trunk.

Body sheet metal not as robust as in previous years.

Relatively low ground clearance with the lower body flares.

Garish-looking (?) L.E.D. taillights on the hatchback model.

Limited cargo room in both sedan and hatchback.

Beige interior from the non-turbo models not available.

Some uncovered interior storage bins.

Weak-feeling glove box lock.

Tight footroom in back.

Temporary spare tire.

Out-of-date ignition switch.

Limited paint color choice.

OK but rather mediocre stereo.

Limited rear vision (hatchback).

Relatively high insurance premiums.

"Fast and Furious" image attracts cops.

EXTERIOR:

The differences between the new 2008-2009 Imprezas and the former models, style-wise, are like night and day. I've already gone into some of the comments above, but I'll add to them here. The WRX (and all the turbo models) add an ugly (IMO) functioning hood scoop that feed the turbo-intake system and intercooler. The controversial wing-like grille and Alfa-Romero snout of the previous Impreza has been changed for a more contemporary look up front.....a major improvement, IMO. Lower-body flares, which cut down on ground clearance, and plastic rear spoilers, on both sedan and hatchback models, complete the turbo from the non-turbo look. The body sheet metal, though generally well-done, feels lighter and thinner than before, but the doos now have window-surround frames in them that should help the windows stay more in their track. The outside hardware is well-done and solid, and the twin outside mirrors have high-quality housings that snap/swivel smoothly and firmly into place. The doors, despite being thinner this year, shut soundly with a fairly solid-sounding "thunk". The paint colors are restricted (only 6 are offfered), but the White Pearl, bright electric blue, and bright red are nice and classy. The paint job itself is well-done (better than on some other Subarus), but does not come quite up to the Lexus-Audi-Acura class. The WRX models use silver and gray alloy wheels, which, even though I don't particularly like the gray, are probably better-looking (IMO) than the garish gold ones on the STi. Of course, opinons differ on that.....I know some people like the gold wheels. Another controversial point, at least on the hatchbacks, is the L.E.D. cluster taillights, with their super-busy look. Some comments have been positive, some negative.....my opinion is about in the middle. The exterior chrome quality, though (there is less chrome on turbo than non-turbo models) is excellent.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the hood, and a major change appears (a nice one)....the twin gas struts replace the old cheap prop-rod. That alone, IMO, is a significant selling-point.......I have always disliked prop-rods. Sorry guys, I forgot to check if there was an underhood insulation pad, but most other Subarus have them. The underhood layout is quite good, with few complaints. The ubiquitous Subaru 2.5L flat-four fits in rather tight, and the turbo plumbing/hardware adds more stuff to it, but the basic design of the engine, and the lack of any plastic engine and component covers (Hooray!) allow access to many upper components, despite the tight fit. The alternator, for example, is right up in front of you, on the front-upper side of the block, although spark-plug changes may take some doing because the cylinders are down low. The battery is uncovered, up front on the left. All dipsticks, filler caps, and reserviors are easy-access and clearly marked. Oil changes are comparatively easy, because both the filter and drain plug hang down right back under the front bumper, but the low ground clearance means the car will probably have to be on a lift for access.

INTERIOR:

I give the interior mixed reviews, but, overall, it doesn't impress me as much as in the larger Legacy/Outback models. I'll start with the good stuff first. The cloth, high-back front seats in the WRX, despite the lack of power-assist, are superb. There is plenty of support, and the side-bolsters fit even a large, heavy person like me just perfectly. There is no separate up-and-down headrest to fool around with....the high-backs cover the necks of even someone my height....6' 2", very well. The black cloth (too bad it is not available in any other color) on the seats is soft yet durable-feeling, and smart, red "WRX" logos are sewn into the upper-seatbacks. Euro-syle pump-levers and flip-handles control the adjustments. The red-orange, electroluminescent primary gauges are clear and easily-read (though I would rather have white lighting instead of red-orange), and all turbo Impreza models include a real coolant-temperature gauge instead of the red/blue light on the base models and Outback Sport. Base models formerly had a temp gauge; that was dropped for 2008 (an oversight that I pointed out, with my comments, in last spring's SUBARU magazine), but only in the American market. Go figure. The leather-wrapped steering wheel is well-designed, has nice-feeling cruise control buttons on it this year, and is comfortable to hold. Headroom, in both sedan and hatchback, is adequate front and rear for moderately tall people. Legroom is fine in front, less so in back, and rear footroom is tight for those like me with big feet. The dash, with its V-shaped swoops, is attractive, and the plastic used is durable-feeling and appears not to be cheap-feeling like in some other vehicles, but there is simply too much of it. EVERYTHING on the dash, door panels, and console is hard, if durable plastic...there are no soft-feeling surfaces anywhere, except for the small, thick, well-padded elbow-rests built into the rear part of the door panels. The sun-visors and the headliner are awful....obvious cost-cutting here. The hard, rough material the visors are made of (with no vanity lights) feel like stucco, or something you would find on the ceiling in a public bathroom.

The interior hardware is generally well-done, except for a rather weak-feeling glove box lock (On some Subarus, they have a hard time catching at cold temperatures until the interior warms up). Another sign of cost-cutting on new Imprezas is the uncovered storage-bins on the console....they formerly had flip-covers. The stereo was OK-sounding, but, even with 10 speakers, not anywhere near the best I've heard....new Legacies and Outbacks have a much better-sounding Harmon-Kardon unit (today, instead of my usual 80s Heavy Metal, James Brown, the King of Soul, did the honors with some good old-fashioned funk/jive music). Brother James (trust me) can liven up even a mediocre stereo....he is one of a kind. The stereo controls themselves were well-integrated into the NAV unit (that is something that escapes a lot of car-makers), and distinctly less complex and frustrating than with some other vehicles, though, of course, more complex than non-NAV models. Also, the whole stereo/NAV unit is integrated into one simple box on the upper-center of the dash; a much better system, IMO, than those with separate split-level readouts. The automatic climate system also had relatively simple and easy-to-use ***** that were solid and slick-feeling, but the black position-indicators on the silver metallic ***** were rather hard to see at a glance. On the hatchback model, the tilt-down of the rear roofline and thick, hour-glass-shaped D-pillars impede some vision out the back.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Both the hatchback and sedan models have a rather small cargo area (by hatchback standards, especially). The hatchback's larger lid, of course, allows bigger, bulkier things to be loaded/unloaded than in the sedan, but the hatchback's new curvier rear-roofline with the redesign impacts a little on the cargo height-limits. The cargo area itself, is not well-finished, with hard plastic on both rear walls and skimpy, thin black carpeting on the floor. Unlike the base-model Impreza 2.5i, however, the floor has a thin but functional, standard, rubber cargo-tray to protect the carpeting. Pull-shade covers on the hatchback model help keep prying eyes off of the contents underneath (this is a standard feature the Forester used to have but now lacks; it is now an $180 accessory on that vehicle). Both the hatchback and the sedan lack an outside, trunk-lock cylinder for the key (I couldn't find one). A temporary spare tire resides under the trunk floor (kind of pushing it in a 30K car), but there is also a nice multi-compartment tray above it to hold things. The 60/40 split-rear seats, of course, in both the sedan and hatchback, drop down for added cargo room.

ON THE ROAD:

with feet on the brakes and clutch, start up the ubiquitous, Old Faithful, 2.5L turbo flat-four with a rather outdated ignition switch on the side of the steering column (many other vehicles have moved it to the dash, even without a push-button), and the engine comes to life with the usual muted gruffy-sounding Subaru idle, although the newer Subaru flat-fours are MUCH quieter than years ago. Back then, many of them sounded and vibrated like old farm tractors...the difference today, though not perfect, is astounding.

The turbo programming, though, IMO, still needs some work....like with former WRX models, there is way too much turbo lag. Warm the turbo and the oil up a little, stomp on it, and the response, hampered a little by the weight and drag of the AWD, starts out like Timmy the Tortise at low RPMs, and then, right around the 3600-4000 RPM range (like the Lexus IS-F), suddenly turns into Harry the Hare and shoots forward like a slingshot, pressing you in the back with those nice comfortable front seats. This engine is peakier than a Witches' hat on Halloween night. While some enthusiasts may like it that way, That is just not my cup of tea...I like either a more linear power-flow or more torque at lower RPM's....the Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe last week was an good example. The regular Impreza 2.5i non-turbo, of course, can't come anywhere the turbo's power figures, but, at least, it is linear, and doesn't come on all at once after a long lag. Having said that, though, the WRX does have plenty of power on hand for passing or hill-climbing if you keep the revs up.

The clutch is quite well-done; smooth, slick, engaging right about where you would want it to, and giving smooth starts. The 5-speed's shift lever, though, is less than impressive...it is long, somewhat wobbly-feeling, and notchy. Subaru offers a dealer-installed, factory-approved, short-shift kit, as an accessory, that offers better travel and feel...my opinion is that it should be standard, especially in a sport-oriented car like this.

Ride comfort, especially considering the low-profile (45 series), aggressive tires, was not bad at all....Subaru is one of the better manufacturers at chassis engineering and ride/handling compromise. Steering feel, though not up to, say, a BMW 3-series, was notably better then average. Handling, helped not only by the chassis but the AWD, was generally responsive, though there was a little body roll. The viscous-coupled center differential, used on many non-STi manual-transmission Subarus, normally routes torque at 50/50 front/rear for optimum grip by all four wheels on dry pavement. On slippery surfaces, it directs torque as needed to each axle to keep traction up (no, it is not as sophisticated as Acura's SH-AWD, but, in most driving situations, it works just as well). Automatic-transmission Subarus, depending on engine, get different AWD center diffrentials, with electronic transfer-clutches instead of viscous or driver-controlled couplings.

Due to the somewhat shorter-than-normal test drive, I didn't get to find as many different road surfaces as I'd like, to determine road/tire noise, but, in general, on regular concrete and asphalt, the road noise was not bad, considering the tires' aggreesiveness (this is the sedan model, of course, not the hatchback, where, on many vehicles, road noise can (?) be more pronounced because of the more-open rear end compartment). wind noise was fairly well-sealed (perhaps due to the new-style doors with full-frame windows), and engine noise, as described before, was typical Subaru gratiness, but also well-muted; much more so than in the distant past.

Brakes, though not Brembos like the STi and on the superb Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track last week, were, nontheless, quite well-done (brake sponginess used to be a problem on some Subaru models). There was little or no sponginess here, the pedal reacted quickly and effectively, and had a smooth feel. The pedal was also well-placed; there was no problem with my big size-15 clodhopper shoes going from gas to brake and getting hung up on the pedals. As is usual with cars of this type, the pedals were covered with sport-style alumunum-trim.

THE VERDICT:

It's no secret, of course, that I am a Subaru fan, but the WRX is not a car that I myself would choose, with my own driving needs, for daily use. Its no-automatic-transmission marketing effectively limits it, IMO, to relatively clear roads without traffic and stop signs, which is not something you see much of in the D.C. area. The interior, despite an attractive dash, well-done controls, and excellent front seats, is generally not my cup of tea. The clutch works smoothly enough, but the short-shift accessory lever should be standard. The turbo is way too peaky for my tastes, and the car, overall, like some other new Impreza and Forester models, just seems to have a cost-cutting feel to it. I could live with the (Impreza) Outback Sport version, though, and it is a consideration for my own next vehicle when the time comes, if I don't go for a larger Subaru.

But, of course, I'm not reviewing this car for myself, but for you guys.....so what would YOU think of it? It is, of course, the natural competitor to the new Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (see my review) and to some of the smaller VW/Audi 2.0T turbo models. VW and Audi offer the superb DGG/S-Tronic gearbox on some of the 2.0T models (unfortunately, a declining number of their American-market ones) something that both Mitsubishi and Subaru sorely lack. Some Turbo Subarus, however, are outside the Impreza line, are available with automatics. The new 2009 Turbo Forester XT model, for example, ONLY comes with an automatic...the 2008 and earlier manual version was dropped for 2009. THe standard summer-only tires, despite the superb Subaru AWD, may not be suitable for slick surfaces. So, if rowing your own gears in heavy traffic, an overly-plastic interior, and long turbo lag is OK with you, then go for it. Otherwise, look somewhere else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-09 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 08:24 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome review.
Old 03-23-09, 08:39 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As much as a KNOWN Subie fan as we know you are, I know that it had to be very hard to write any negative things about this vehicle. Be that as it may, you did a very commendable job in reviewing the car, and remaining completely unbiased in your reviews. That sir, is why you are the true CL professional reviewer, and I wish for you to know that I have passed on your reviews, and most certainly encouraged people to read them, to several friends who were in the market for different car models. Your reviews also helped them ALOT with their decisions and car choices and not only cleared up some questions that they had, but also made them see some points for further consideration. Marshall,,keep up the great work.
Old 03-23-09, 09:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Frankly I am surprised that you like the clutch. My clutch (with 30,000 miles) is awful. It is OEM. At the time (2005) I was told that all new Subaru clutches were like this and I found out that they were. Guess I'll have to test a new one.

I think the new 265 HP WRX will be a success. It should be a good motor too for the new Legacy. I am quite impressed with how quick the WRX is now. Perhaps too quick, as it nips at the heals of the STi. Hmmm....
Old 03-24-09, 04:04 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Good review Mike, and a testament to your review prowness to leave favoritism out and be objective. When I sat in one I too was surprised by the "sub par" interior compared to competitors. OUTSTANDING job as always.

Side note: have you or do you plan a Mercedes Benz GLK350 review?
Old 03-24-09, 04:36 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall, thank you for another very good and detailed review!

As I was enjoying my read I was almost expecting some comparisons to the Cobalt SS you reviewed to pop up. How do you think they compare?

Appreciate your hard work
Larry
Old 03-24-09, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Awesome review.
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into them.
Old 03-24-09, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
As much as a KNOWN Subie fan as we know you are, I know that it had to be very hard to write any negative things about this vehicle. Be that as it may, you did a very commendable job in reviewing the car, and remaining completely unbiased in your reviews. That sir, is why you are the true CL professional reviewer, and I wish for you to know that I have passed on your reviews, and most certainly encouraged people to read them, to several friends who were in the market for different car models. Your reviews also helped them ALOT with their decisions and car choices and not only cleared up some questions that they had, but also made them see some points for further consideration. Marshall,,keep up the great work.
Thanks. Sure, go ahead and pass them on to anyone you like...I hope they are a help.

I indeed am a Subaru fan. I like the way the company integrates the flat-boxer engine with a well-designed AWD system, for a reasonable price. But I'm also, as you note, objective. No car on this planet is perfect, and all have some negative features as well as positive ones, even the superb Lexus LS460. Some of the newer Subies in the last couple of years have, IMO, shown major signs of cost cutting, especially the 2009 Forester, which debuted last spring.
Old 03-24-09, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Frankly I am surprised that you like the clutch. My clutch (with 30,000 miles) is awful. It is OEM. At the time (2005) I was told that all new Subaru clutches were like this and I found out that they were. Guess I'll have to test a new one.
Well, any clutch, of course, will deteriorate with time and mileage. Several factors influence this. The lining wears, increasing the distance off the floor that you have to lift the pedal before it engages, although some self-adjusting clutch mechanisms help compensate for that. The pressure-plate springs wear and become looser. The throwout bearing wears and becomes looser, especially if you sit still at lights for long periods with the pedal pushed all the way down. The bearings and hinges, in the rods and linkage, wear and give everything a looser feel. These are some one of the factors, among many, of the decreasing popularity of three-pedal vs. two-pedal cars.

Some Subaru clutches also have an additional feature that affects their operation and feel. The Hill-Start feature keeps brake pressure up while the clutch is enganed, and releases the brakes when the clutch engages. That is a nice feature that keeps you from rolling back on hills while trying to get going, but can also affect the way the pedal engages. On the WRX I drove, brand new, the feature was virtually seamless.

That feature is not new, BTW......Studebaker had a similiar one on some models back in the 1950's, but it has not proved popular with manufacturers, of course, because of cost and complexity. And, nowadays, manuals become less and less popular each year.

I think the new 265 HP WRX will be a success. It should be a good motor too for the new Legacy. I am quite impressed with how quick the WRX is now. Perhaps too quick, as it nips at the heals of the STi. Hmmm....[/QUOTE]
Old 03-24-09, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Good review Mike, and a testament to your review prowness to leave favoritism out and be objective. When I sat in one I too was surprised by the "sub par" interior compared to competitors. OUTSTANDING job as always.
Thanks, Russ. I've said before that I didn't like some of the things on newer Subarus.....this is not the first time. They still do, though, what IMO are the best inexpensive (under 35K) AWD systems on the planet.

The new Impreza/Forester dash (including the WRX) is not unattractive (it actually has some nice lines and colors), and the plastic appears to be durable and of high quality, not the junk some manufacturers use. The problem, though, is that there is just too MUCH of that hard plastic on the dash. They should have used some other materials as well. And the lack of a coolant-temperature gauge on the new non-turbo models is ludicrous, especially since all older models had one.

Side note: have you or do you plan a Mercedes Benz GLK350 review?
So many CL members have driven the GLK on their own, and come to their own conclusions, that I hadn't planned to, but, I'll consider this a request from you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-09 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshall, thank you for another very good and detailed review!

As I was enjoying my read I was almost expecting some comparisons to the Cobalt SS you reviewed to pop up. How do you think they compare?

Appreciate your hard work
Larry
Thanks.

As far as major differences go, the WRX has the advantage of AWD, although you may (?) need to dump the summer-only tires for slippery roads. The WRX is likely to be more reliable in the long run. The WRX also has a far better clutch......the Cobalt's clutch, and its 260 ft-lbs. of torque, all going to the front wheels, made for wheelspin and awkward starts, especially starting off uphill....I mentioned that in the review.

But the Cobalt had noticeably snappier handling and quicker response, even with the Subie's AWD. And the Cobalt's engine was more responsive at low RPM's....the WRX, IMO, had too much turbo lag. Both engines were rather unrefined, but not bad. Both, as I remember, had well-done brakes.

On a minor comparison, I prefer the Cobalt's exterior paint color choices, the WRX's 4-door versatility and choice of sedan/hatchback models, and the WRX's more varied dash to the Cobalt's all-black, coal-mine interior.
Old 03-24-09, 08:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, any clutch, of course, will deteriorate with time and mileage.
Oh yes, that's too be expected. I was dissapointed from the beginning. I actually took the vehicle back after paying $1400 for the clutch, throw out bearing, and master cylinder. The mechanic took a test drive with me. Apparently numb feeling is normal. The clutch on my dad's 3 series is wonderful (no surprise there). I will miss that car.
Old 03-24-09, 09:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

So, if rowing your own gears in heavy traffic, an overly-plastic interior, and long turbo lag is OK with you, then go for it. Otherwise, look somewhere else.
Hehe. I do! You forgot to mention that the STi has an upcoming 5 speed auto (WHY?!?) that will surely grab some ricer boys who cant do the rowing (my roomate). I predict that the GT model won't be around long. Subaru has been known to upgrade an engine and only have time to affix one transmission before putting it to the market. I could see a 5EAT 2010 Impreza WRX.

Furthermore, I'd be keen on seeing the 6MT replace the aging 5MT. I know a couple of fellas who have swapped the 6 into their Legacies and have found that shifting is pretty nice and driving in stop and go traffic is enjoyable.
Old 03-24-09, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yes, that's too be expected. I was dissapointed from the beginning. I actually took the vehicle back after paying $1400 for the clutch, throw out bearing, and master cylinder. The mechanic took a test drive with me. Apparently numb feeling is normal. The clutch on my dad's 3 series is wonderful (no surprise there). I will miss that car.
The numb sensation sometimes adds to the smoothness of the clutch operation itself, by absorbing vibrations. Many clutches, in today's vehicles, are helped along these lines by hydraulic power-assist. The clutch actually has a small master-cylinder with fluid in it, similiar to the brakes. In fact, the two can be confused at first if you are not careful to read the markings on the caps.
Old 03-24-09, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hehe. I do! You forgot to mention that the STi has an upcoming 5 speed auto (WHY?!?)
Partly because I'm not familiar with exactly what kind of "automatic" transmission it will be.....a conventional full-torque-converter automatic, an automated manual (SMG), a multi-clutch automated manual like the superb VW/Audi DSG, or a CVT with 5 imitation "speeds" in it to simulate a conventional autmatic. It could be any of those above...or something else.

that will surely grab some ricer boys who cant do the rowing (my roomate). I predict that the GT model won't be around long. Subaru has been known to upgrade an engine and only have time to affix one transmission before putting it to the market. I could see a 5EAT 2010 Impreza WRX.

Furthermore, I'd be keen on seeing the 6MT replace the aging 5MT. I know a couple of fellas who have swapped the 6 into their Legacies and have found that shifting is pretty nice and driving in stop and go traffic is enjoyable.
The STi already has a stock 6-speed manual.

Rowing your own gears is no big deal (I learned to do it in only about 15-20 minutes, when I started driving, about 40 years ago). And that was back when some manual transmissions were not fully-synchronized either, and had lousy shift linkage compared to what we have today. And some muscle-car clutches and shifting took some real WORK.

But traffic and stop/go conditions, for the most part, back then, was not what it is today either. Conditions in and around major cities, today, can make manual transmissions a pain in the a**. That is why they get less and less popular every year, except in some die-hard traditional sports cars.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX