Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroit Muscle Smackdown: Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 07:18 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
its spelled camaro its like me saying leksus
looool thats all u had to say about my post :P......ok camero......crap i did it again
Old 03-27-09, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMW has a "Leatherette" interior (see my X5 review yesterday). It's very difficult to tell exactly what it is (leather, vinyl, or synthetic)...It's thick and durable for sure, but it is certainly not what I would call traditional, smooth, high-quality automotive leather.
fyi - "Leatherette" to everybody in the know considers this to be vinyl, and it is not sold as leather. Obviously better versions of it are easily confused with leather.

For example I personally know a 25+ year Mercedes salesperson in Silicon Valley who has been in many friendly disagreements with customers trading in Benz's that insisted their car was equipped with leather, when in fact it was equipped with MB-Tex/leatherette.
Old 03-27-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
If you aren't a fan of Detroit muscle that's fine but many people are, as with the Camaro two versions of the Challenger were built, retro and modern, the retro design won hands down, no one car will please everyone, as for sales the Mustang will outsell the other two because it has been built nonstop in some form since 1964, so let's compare the other two, to say the Camaro has some catching up to do is an understatement, the Challenger debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in 2007, a year later it was on dealer lots, the Camaro debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in 2006 and began production 10 days ago, in this economy a two year head start will be hard to overcome.
1. Retro is fine, but Camaro and Mustang have appeal beyond the customers that are old enough to appreciate old retro pony cars. Especially the Camaro which is a very nice sports coupe in a competitive market.

2. Of course when you talk sales, past sales are not brought it into the picture, so of course catching up on sales doesn't come into play. I will restate: Mustang and Camaro sales on a full month basis will exceed Challenger sales for the same period(s).
Old 03-27-09, 09:04 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think the point that rosskoss was trying to make is that, nowhere, can you find 426 HP and that kind of performance for 32k, it just doesn't exist, at least until now. So what if the car doesn't have leather, it is still a very well equipped car for the money, and nothing it competes with even comes close.

Originally Posted by tsavo
The Camaro had a great price to performance ratio before, and it was dropped from GM because of low sales. Apparently people want more than just performance when they're shelling out over 30 grand for a car.
Old 03-28-09, 09:32 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never been a fan of muscle cars. i always liked japanese imports over muscle cars, but these new breed of muscle cars are very sexy IMO. maybe it's just me, but i love the look of the challenger the most.
Old 03-29-09, 05:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joe80
maybe it's just me, but i love the look of the challenger the most.
Me too.
Old 03-29-09, 11:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
i've never been a fan of muscle cars. i always liked japanese imports over muscle cars, but these new breed of muscle cars are very sexy IMO. maybe it's just me, but i love the look of the challenger the most.
I do see your point on the Challenger, and it certainly seems to be the most retro of the 3 with styling that is closest to it's original version. At a glance the Challenger can be confused at a distance with the original version.

The Mustang and Camaro are more contemporary versions of the past cars.
Old 03-29-09, 11:35 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With that kind of power and price...I better get off the freeway. Watch out for youngsters on wheels!
Old 03-31-09, 12:10 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I do see your point on the Challenger, and it certainly seems to be the most retro of the 3 with styling that is closest to it's original version. At a glance the Challenger can be confused at a distance with the original version.

That was the idea behind bringing it back, only built from 70-74 the Challenger is one of the most popular musclecars in history, modern electronics, drivetrain and suspension combined with retro styling equals the best of both worlds.
Old 03-31-09, 08:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
That was the idea behind bringing it back, only built from 70-74 the Challenger is one of the most popular musclecars in history, modern electronics, drivetrain and suspension combined with retro styling equals the best of both worlds.
Yes agreed, the Challenger does have more of the traditional muscle car/pony car appeal with a modern drivetrain underneath.

The Mustang and Camaro should have more crossover appeal for those shopping contemporary sports coupes.

Per article in Autoweek recently: "By Chevrolet's admission, the new Camaro must do more than compete with so-called pony cars--a.k.a Ford's Mustang and Dodge's Challenger. It must reach past aging muscle-car enthusiasts to thrive. Chevrolet insists that it will do that by chasing buyers who might otherwise choose a Honda Civic Si, a Scion tC or even a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. But most of that work must be done by the Camaro LS and LT."

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-31-09 at 06:50 PM. Reason: inserted recent quote from Autoweek