Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Great video say no to carfax

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:40 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great video say no to carfax

I'm searching for a commuter and was told by a buddy of mine to use auto check instead of carfax. Man was he right. I have found at least 20 or so cars with damage from big to small dealers.

Then I came across this video online from a Canadian news organization called Marketplace. Its a great video and note what the carfax guy says toward the end of the video. I will defiantly be taking my next vehicle not only to a dealer for inspection but to a body shop. Carfax should be sued. Experian Auto check for life!!!
Old 03-24-09, 10:07 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

In so cal many cars come from Mexico and their history isn't covered in CarFax. The civic I bought was used to smuggle drugs into the country and has obvious accident damage and all the panels were removed by the DEA, yet its got a clean US title....
Old 03-24-09, 10:19 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
In so cal many cars come from Mexico and their history isn't covered in CarFax. The civic I bought was used to smuggle drugs into the country and has obvious accident damage and all the panels were removed by the DEA, yet its got a clean US title....
Ohhh crap I wonder how auto check doesn't advertise this fact. They could put carfax out of business.
Old 03-24-09, 11:30 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Woww, this is huge. Now you have to go thru the big three when buying a used car. Carfax, Autocheck, and Carproof to get as close to a complete pic as possible to a cars history.
Old 03-24-09, 11:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow. That guy from Carfax was unbelievable.

Very informative video, thanks for posting.
Old 03-24-09, 12:15 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Amazing!!!!
Old 03-24-09, 12:30 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

This is serious guys. I was just playing around at work and just checked 8 cars in a row on Auto Trader that had auction reported frame damage. These cars are in the 18 to 19k range. These dealers are SHADY AS HELL!!!!!
Old 03-24-09, 01:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Holy cow. That guy from Carfax was unbelievable.

Very informative video, thanks for posting.
hahaha

hahahhhhh

that guy was so annoying. that fake grin, bobbing eyebrows, and head nodding like a bobblehead...... was driving me nuts! i couldn't watch that crap anymore.

i don't know if i wanted to punch him in the face, or tap his head and make it bobble some more.
Old 03-24-09, 01:14 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good video. It just boils my blood to see what dealers and Carfax is getting away with. Looks like I'm buying my next car brand new only.
Old 03-24-09, 01:15 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Yeah this was pretty shocking to me when I found out last year. I was talking to my very reputable and expensive lexus recomended body shop, and they were telling me that no one reports accidents to carfax.

He was baffled as to what this company actually does. He said that body shops don't have any system to report things to carfax, and insurance companies do not report the accidents because it would decrease the resale of the vehicles. Even when they are totaled. Pretty spooky stuff.

In other words, there is no incentive for anyone i.e. auto body shops, police departments and insurance companies to report these items, because it would cost them time, effort, and more imporantly money!

This is the current state of the global economy these days. Not suprising with our current banking situation.
Old 03-24-09, 01:29 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Yeah this was pretty shocking to me when I found out last year. I was talking to my very reputable and expensive lexus recomended body shop, and they were telling me that no one reports accidents to carfax.

He was baffled as to what this company actually does. He said that body shops don't have any system to report things to carfax, and insurance companies do not report the accidents because it would decrease the resale of the vehicles. Even when they are totaled. Pretty spooky stuff.

In other words, there is no incentive for anyone i.e. auto body shops, police departments and insurance companies to report these items, because it would cost them time, effort, and more imporantly money!

This is the current state of the global economy these days. Not suprising with our current banking situation.
My dealer friend told me that the only thing that's good about auto check is that all the auto auctions use them. The dealers what to know what there getting so they are checked at the auctions. If frame damage is found boom its reported. That's why they show up so good on auto check.
Old 03-24-09, 01:41 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it how she cornered him and he said "What I think your question is......" Like really, really?

Informative video, definitely saving it for future viewing and providing to folks who i intend to sell my cars to.
Old 03-24-09, 02:14 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

wouldn't ppl be eligible for the CarFax 50,000 garuntee? Seems like a pretty open and shut case. I'm sure CarFax has some loophole "we garuntee only that the data we get from the DMV/ Insurance is good, not that the car is legit".
Old 03-24-09, 04:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like the best way in most cases is to go to the source- the insurance company

i don't understand how an insurance company would lose out if they reported an accident.????

ideal imaginary scenario:
I am a buyer. i want to buy a car from John Doe. I call John's insurance company and ask him if he's ever been in an accident.
Insurance company says yes. I say ok, and I lower my offering price to buy the used car from John Doe.
The insurance company loses nothing, right? because the insurance compnay is not involved!
Old 03-24-09, 04:30 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coolzz ; good to know

Quick Reply: Great video say no to carfax