Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius (reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This car is amazing. I am so impressed with the advancements as well as the styling. I think they are trying to spice up the prius. Its a good move
Old 04-09-09, 08:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was listening to a podcast today (CNET Car Tech) that mentioned Toyota had declared a 'price war' on Honda with the pricing for the 2010 Prius.

They said while the US pricing has not yet been announced, if you did the math, it would translate to roughly a $20,750 sticker for the base US Prius, as opposed to the current Prius which starts at $23,000, and also as opposed to the expected $24,000 base price most people in the know have been speculating for the new Prius.

I have to say, there's a lot I don't love about the Prius, but if they really do come to market for $20,750, and if dealers don't take advantage of this pricing by refusing to budge off sticker price, then I may have to take a serious look at one.

I'd also compare it to the 2010 Ford Fusion which comes in quite a bit more expensive ($27k) but has some better tax credits, and plus it's American, so I'd prefer to keep my money in the US.
Old 04-09-09, 11:52 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
70 MPG is impressive but I still don't like hypermilers
Whats not to like?

More here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3189225

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm going to check out the 2010 Prius myself, for a full review, by CL request. I'm waiting for the first unsold ones to come into the D.C area.
I'm looking forward to reading it, as I look forward to all your reviews.
Old 04-10-09, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I really think that new design may attract some new drivers. It doesnt look like a car that one would feel feminized while driving. Much better aesthetically than the last generation. Its a welcome refresh to a great car, and it seems like we as consumers may be able to pick one up at a bargain price.
Old 04-12-09, 08:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
its interesting it has lane keep assist and the parking feature from the LS460 lol I was hoping it would have the radar thing, just incase ur speeding and some car comes up in front of u, it slows down for u
It does have a radar cruise control and PCS. It's packaged with the IPA and LKA.

I'm going to check out the 2010 Prius myself, for a full review, by CL request. I'm waiting for the first unsold ones to come into the D.C area.
Again, I can't wait to see what you have to say (esp. the negative bits as so far, most reviews have been talking about the mpg and handling but I know yours will be more critical and more in-depth)

Originally Posted by Threxx
I was listening to a podcast today (CNET Car Tech) that mentioned Toyota had declared a 'price war' on Honda with the pricing for the 2010 Prius.

They said while the US pricing has not yet been announced, if you did the math, it would translate to roughly a $20,750 sticker for the base US Prius, as opposed to the current Prius which starts at $23,000, and also as opposed to the expected $24,000 base price most people in the know have been speculating for the new Prius.

I have to say, there's a lot I don't love about the Prius, but if they really do come to market for $20,750, and if dealers don't take advantage of this pricing by refusing to budge off sticker price, then I may have to take a serious look at one.

I'd also compare it to the 2010 Ford Fusion which comes in quite a bit more expensive ($27k) but has some better tax credits, and plus it's American, so I'd prefer to keep my money in the US.
The base "L" Prius model in Japan doesn't have cruise control or a stereo so I wouldn't use its base US$20k price as a comparison. I'd start with the "S" model which is closer to US$23k in price.

Keep in mind that TMS is launching the Prius with a "II" designation which means it's very possible that there's a "I" in the works.
Old 04-13-09, 09:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This car is amazing. I am so impressed with the advancements as well as the styling. I think they are trying to spice up the prius. Its a good move
+1

I have to say, there's a lot I don't love about the Prius
like what?
Old 04-13-09, 09:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
like what?
I think it's embarrassingly ugly on the outside, and that's saying a LOT coming from me because I almost never get hung up on the looks of a car.

I also hate the centered layout of all the stuff on the dash, rather than in front of the driver. It looks cheap.

I wasn't a fan of the way the old one drove. Felt so appliance-like and depressing.

I also am not a fan of the fact that it's sending almost all your $$ outside of the country as it's a Toyota made in Japan.
Old 04-13-09, 09:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Whats not to like?
They slow down my commute
Old 04-13-09, 12:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's embarrassingly ugly on the outside, and that's saying a LOT coming from me because I almost never get hung up on the looks of a car.

I also hate the centered layout of all the stuff on the dash, rather than in front of the driver. It looks cheap.

I wasn't a fan of the way the old one drove. Felt so appliance-like and depressing.

I also am not a fan of the fact that it's sending almost all your $$ outside of the country as it's a Toyota made in Japan.
looks are subjective...I love the '10

I love the techno dash

I had an 06 and it drove fine (keep in mind, its not supposed to be or trying to be a sports car).

it is definitely made in Japan. is the Fusion Hybrid made here or Canada or Mexico?

There's many reasons why over a million of them have been sold. MPG/reliability/etc.
Old 04-13-09, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I really think that new design may attract some new drivers. It doesnt look like a car that one would feel feminized while driving.
Yes, and one does not have to be female (or gay) to want a high-mileage vehicle either. High gas prices can bite at male and female alike.
Old 04-13-09, 12:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Yes, and one does not have to be female (or gay) to want a high-mileage vehicle either. High gas prices can bite at male and female alike.
High mileage isn't what makes it a feminine car. The looks of the car is the primary feminine (or at least emasculating) attribute of the car.

I know second to scratch off endorsements for people's new cars, your favorite thing to talk about is how a car should never be associated with a gender or sexual orientation... and regardless of whether or not it should be, it just is. I'm sure a psychologist could give a lot more insight into why this happens (haha, I just said insight)

If you are a male and drive a Prius, many people will tend to assume you're either a greenie, or fairly effeminate, or both. Priuses are generally regarded as statement cars. Cars people drive to represent themselves or to be trendy. It's actually one thing I don't care for with them.
Old 04-13-09, 01:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I saw it mentioned elsewhere that a plug-in version of the Prius with Lithium Ion batteries would be available sometime later this year. I suspect they will charge a hefty premium for the LiIon batteries though... so much so that it may not even be cost-effective to pay for the upgrade.

I wonder if in using LiIon they will keep capacity fairly similar but reduce weight, or keep weight fairly similar but increase energy capacity?

I would assume they will be increasing energy capacity if they're making it plugin. I think this new 2010 model with NiMh will only drive half a mile in EV mode, right? If so that's not a whole lot of benefit for plugging the car in.

On a side note, I find it strange that Toyota went with DVD Nav in such a tech-centric car. HDD based or flash based nav is the way of the future... not DVD.
Old 04-13-09, 02:34 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Whats not to like?

More here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3189225
This car is off the hook!!!

Back to topic, I quite like the way the new Prius looks. I drove an old one and it was pretty depressing to drive, very soulless and appliance-like... hopefully the new one is more lively and interesting.
Old 04-13-09, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The looks of the car is the primary feminine (or at least emasculating) attribute of the car.
I'm not sure I agree. Sports cars are usually associated with the macho, male image, yet look at the large number of women that drive Miatas and S2000s. Minivans, conversely, have a so-called "soccer-mom" image, yet plenty of men run around in them, simply because it is often the best vehicle for their their families.

I know second to scratch off endorsements for people's new cars, your favorite thing to talk about is how a car should never be associated with a gender or sexual orientation... and regardless of whether or not it should be, it just is. I'm sure a psychologist could give a lot more insight into why this happens (haha, I just said insight)
My "thing", if you want to call it that, at least as far as CL is concerned, is auto consulting and car reviews, usually by request. Though I do, of course, give my opinions in the reviews, I strongly believe in being objective and forgetting "image". I describe the car itself, not what some artist or car journalist sees the car in his/her fantasies.

One does not have to be a psychologist to see why some people get caught up in the "image" nonsense. There are several obvious reasons. A huge amount of money is spent on auto advertising, trying to promote vehicles as ego, power, glamour, and freedom machines. Auto enthusiast magazines and much of the auto press glamorize speed, power, handling, and the general idea that street cars should acccelerate, brake, and handle like track/racing cars. The wise person, however, looks past all that nonsense and judges a vehicle for what it is, not what they think it should be in their fantasies.

Mike (1SICKLEX) is a good example of someone who has learned to look past a lot of that "image" nonsense and review a car objectively , for what it actually is.

If you are a male and drive a Prius, many people will tend to assume you're either a greenie, or fairly effeminate, or both. Priuses are generally regarded as statement cars. Cars people drive to represent themselves or to be trendy. It's actually one thing I don't care for with them.
Being effeminate has little or nothing to do with driving a Prius. Being a Greenie does, to some extent, both because of the Prius's high gas mileage and extremely low emissions. It's one of the least-polluting cars on the planet, as far as its basic operation is concerned, but what is sometimes forgotten is that there are sometimes environmental issues with the production and disposal of the battery packs. Plug-in hybrids, extended-range hybrids, and pure-electric cars, depending on how the local power-plants generate their electricity to start with, may also add to the pollution that the plants themselves cause......the electricity that recharges their batteries isn't free.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 04:13 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the looks of the new Prius I have to look it over good Friday in New York. Now I drove a 2004 Prius for 3 1/2 years got about 47 MPG overall in that time frame. I had no complaints about the brakes at all and the handling was pretty good in my book. I am a volunteer had a call that I went out on did not know where I was going that good (quick look at a map). I was doing about 40 maybe 45 MPH when I sighted the skid marks of a fire truck slammed on the brakes booked a full left turn (almost past the street) at about 25 MPH with no problem at all.

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota Prius (reviews)