Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius (reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 10:52 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I saw it mentioned elsewhere that a plug-in version of the Prius with Lithium Ion batteries would be available sometime later this year. I suspect they will charge a hefty premium for the LiIon batteries though... so much so that it may not even be cost-effective to pay for the upgrade.

I wonder if in using LiIon they will keep capacity fairly similar but reduce weight, or keep weight fairly similar but increase energy capacity?

I would assume they will be increasing energy capacity if they're making it plugin. I think this new 2010 model with NiMh will only drive half a mile in EV mode, right? If so that's not a whole lot of benefit for plugging the car in.

On a side note, I find it strange that Toyota went with DVD Nav in such a tech-centric car. HDD based or flash based nav is the way of the future... not DVD.
Cost. The same reason the US-Spec won't get side mirror indicators. The Prius has had HDD nav since 2006 but only in Japan. Europe will get HDD for the 2010 Prius. They also get a standard HUD whereas it's not even available in the US. On the flipside, US so far seems to be the only country getting LKA.
Old 04-14-09, 08:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if in using LiIon they will keep capacity fairly similar but reduce weight, or keep weight fairly similar but increase energy capacity?

I would assume they will be increasing energy capacity if they're making it plugin. I think this new 2010 model with NiMh will only drive half a mile in EV mode, right? If so that's not a whole lot of benefit for plugging the car in.
I had this same thought -- why even bother with the plug-in capabilty if the battery has the same lame EV range? aftermarket companies that have offered plug-in capability ($10K!!) do so in conjunction with additional and/or higher capacity batteries for a greatly increased EV range.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-15-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 12:04 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet it has a pre-collision system and lane-keep assist

this car getting better and better for me.
Old 04-19-09, 01:36 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's embarrassingly ugly on the outside, and that's saying a LOT coming from me because I almost never get hung up on the looks of a car.

I also hate the centered layout of all the stuff on the dash, rather than in front of the driver. It looks cheap.

I wasn't a fan of the way the old one drove. Felt so appliance-like and depressing.

I also am not a fan of the fact that it's sending almost all your $$ outside of the country as it's a Toyota made in Japan.
Looks like only one of your vehicle is maybe made in the US, so I don't see how you can have a problem with the Prius being made in Japan
Old 04-19-09, 01:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Looks like only one of your vehicle is maybe made in the US, so I don't see how you can have a problem with the Prius being made in Japan
It's just one of many factors I consider when buying a car. I prefer to keep my money in the country. Sure the last 4 vehicles I've bought have failed horribly at that objective, but that's because they succeeded well enough at other considerations to make up for that fact.

I won't buy what I feel is an inferior product just because it's made in the US. But if I'm looking at two products that I like somewhat close to the same and one is made in the US by a US-owned company then I'll tend to lean toward that one.

Especially with the amount of distress US auto companies are in these days, and especially relative to the home run designs they've been putting out recently (sans Chrysler, IMO).
Old 04-19-09, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

It's just one of many factors I consider when buying a car. I prefer to keep my money in the country. Sure the last 4 vehicles I've bought have failed horribly at that objective, but that's because they succeeded well enough at other considerations to make up for that fact.
i hear ya! after 4 Japanese cars i bought an American Ford Explorer (06 V8 2WD Limited). my only complaint is that the ride is overly stiff but otherwise the vehicle is VERY quiet and ROCK solid in build. not a single squeak, creak, nothing. the nav is very good and the vehicle is comfortable and practical. most front legroom i've EVER experienced.

fuel economy could be better, but then i see real world ratings on other vehicles and it's not so bad. i get 17 around town and about 20 on the highway.

after a year of an SUV (and end of 06) i couldn't take the lack of fun any longer and bought, yes, a japanese second car, the 07 MX-5 Miata, which is hands down the most fun car i've owned. besides paper thin floor mats (which dealer replaced once for free and after that i put a heavier rubber one in), the car has been 100% reliable and glitch free, oh, and a hoot. american brands have nothing close (sorry solstice, aura, etc.) - there's a reason the miata continues to win award after award.
Old 04-20-09, 07:51 AM
LexFather

High mileage isn't what makes it a feminine car. The looks of the car is the primary feminine (or at least emasculating) attribute of the car.

I know second to scratch off endorsements for people's new cars, your favorite thing to talk about is how a car should never be associated with a gender or sexual orientation... and regardless of whether or not it should be, it just is. I'm sure a psychologist could give a lot more insight into why this happens (haha, I just said insight)

If you are a male and drive a Prius, many people will tend to assume you're either a greenie, or fairly effeminate, or both. Priuses are generally regarded as statement cars. Cars people drive to represent themselves or to be trendy. It's actually one thing I don't care for with them.
I think thats mostly your opinion as I've yet to hear/see anyone call it "feminine'. Its always reffered to as odd or maybe ugly and "green" but not a car for the ladies.

Research has shown people that buy hybrids want to "advertise" to others it is a greenmobile.

Old 04-20-09, 08:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think thats mostly your opinion as I've yet to hear/see anyone call it "feminine'. Its always reffered to as odd or maybe ugly and "green" but not a car for the ladies.

Research has shown people that buy hybrids want to "advertise" to others it is a greenmobile.
Can you at least agree it's emasculating? In other words... can you not see a 'manly man' having problems being seen driving that car?
Old 04-20-09, 08:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you at least agree it's emasculating? In other words... can you not see a 'manly man' having problems being seen driving that car?
nope.....I have no idea where you are coming from --- I would have no problems driving a Prius or Insight -- I would love one -- I feel 100% confident in my own manhood and .....now a VW Beetle....hummmm....I wouldn't love it, but if it was a diesel getting 50mpg, I could deal with it as long as it wasn't yellow

perhaps you should stick to a F350 dually (just kidding)
Old 04-20-09, 08:32 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
nope.....I have no idea where you are coming from --- I would have no problems driving a Prius or Insight -- I would love one -- I feel 100% confident in my own manhood and .....now a VW Beetle....hummmm....I wouldn't love it, but if it was a diesel getting 50mpg, I could deal with it as long as it wasn't yellow

perhaps you should stick to a F350 dually (just kidding)
I'm actually not one to get hung up on image. I'd probably drive a Prius if everything else about it appealed to me, but I also can't help but seeing the obvious hangup a lot of other manly men would have getting in and out of one on a daily basis.
Old 04-20-09, 08:21 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't the the Prius is gender specific one way or the other. It is certainly not macho, but it's certainly not feminine. Kind of like a Honda Accord.

I've had a chance to make brief conversation with over 20 Prius owners in the last year and they have all told me they "LOVE" their car. Many even say it is the best car they have owned. I imagine there will be a lot of current owners who will want to trade in their old Prius' for a new one.

I am considering a hybrid as my next car and am having a hard time deciding whether I want to give up a "fun" car for a more practical one. People buy hybrids for their own personal reasons, and I have a list of that is getting longer each day. Environmental. Socially responsible. Who knows. I would rather be part of the solution than contribute to the problem.
Old 04-22-09, 07:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
sweet it has a pre-collision system and lane-keep assist

this car getting better and better for me.
no LKA for Canada.