Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 06:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He may (?) have a hard time, though not impossible, getting a lease on another one. A lot of manufacturers have cut WAY back on the number of cars they will lease....and for how much. BMW, especially, has had a lot of leases in the past, and lost money on a lot of them as well.
He was supposed to get a discount of about $4k on the sale price, or so his salesman told him a few times at BMW. They only would take $1k off, making the price $26k. He went and got a newer car, an IS, with Nav, cooled seats, etc. with less miles for about the same price. I guess Lexus is more motivated to move cars in my area.

But $600 a month for an '06 330xi with MT is pretty steep I think. My mom pays $400 a month on her RX. Though she did put down more money, the RX is far more expensive and has more goodies.
Old 03-25-09, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
At least up here, BMW, MB and Lexus are all interested in offering competitive lease rates. The rates have dropped significantly and I imagine will continue to be aggressive for the next few months.

We were quite shocked that Lexus was offering 3.9% on the brand new '10 RX and that MB had matched that with their new ML Bluetec.

The sales guys are eager to move vehicles and leasing doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment.
Sounds like you may have some good financing up there in Canada, but, in general, base and list prices are higher there (in equivalent American dollars) than they are in America. I don't know why....it's basically the same cars, with (maybe) minor differences in safety/emission gear. For instance, a Chevy Cobalt that costs maybe 14 or 15K here, in American dollars, can run 20K north of the border.
Old 03-25-09, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
He was supposed to get a discount of about $4k on the sale price, or so his salesman told him a few times at BMW. They only would take $1k off, making the price $26k. He went and got a newer car, an IS, with Nav, cooled seats, etc. with less miles for about the same price. I guess Lexus is more motivated to move cars in my area.

But $600 a month for an '06 330xi with MT is pretty steep I think. My mom pays $400 a month on her RX. Though she did put down more money, the RX is far more expensive and has more goodies.
This gets back to what I was saying, previously, about BMW being able to drive a somewhat harder bargain with their customers and get it, although, in the past, many new BMWs went out the door by leasing instead. Lexus discounts their vehicles more because they have to to move them; BMW, not quite as much.
Old 03-26-09, 06:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to say but there are a lot of inconsistencies in this thread I just don't know where to begin. Great entertainment value & read none the less.. Carry on
Old 03-26-09, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Sorry to say but there are a lot of inconsistencies in this thread
Such as?

Are the inconsistancies with my review itself or just with the discussion and posts?

I'd be glad to discuss one if you'd point it out.

Great entertainment value & read none the less.. Carry on
Thanks, but my reviews, Like Mike's (1SICKLEX) are not done to entertain, but to inform.
Old 03-26-09, 07:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Such as?

Are the inconsistancies with my review itself or just with the discussion and posts?

I'd be glad to discuss one if you'd point it out.

Thanks, but my reviews, Like Mike's (1SICKLEX) are not done to entertain, but to inform.
Well I am one who is not into typing long winded internet commentary so I will point out just a few inconsistencies that I've noticed in your review. The other posts regarding mom & dads vehicles I will not touch..

For one, the steering wheel in leatherette equpped X5's are made of 100% leather.

Stereo & climate can be controlled w/o the use of the I-Drive controller. The ***** and dials to controll these functions are right on the dashboard for one to control like any typical vehicle. This would be difficult for one who has been in an X5 to miss.

"Cheap & flimsy stalks that will break in your hands"......
The stalks in BMW's are made of a heavy grade plastic and are rather thick. I find it hard pressed for anyone who has been in a BMW to say that these stalks are flimsy & will break in your hands

There is more but I will leave it at that..
Old 03-26-09, 07:23 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The stalks in BMW's are made of a heavy grade plastic and are rather thick. I find it hard pressed for anyone who has been in a BMW to say that these stalks are flimsy & will break in your hands
I dunno. I agree with Marshall here. I feel like the stalks in my pop's 3 series are pretty weak when comparing them to the one's in my daily driver.

I also think some of the materials on the door of the 3 are cheap...as they flake apart. I wouldn't give the class leading interior award to BMW.
Old 03-26-09, 07:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Cheap & Flimsy...
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel-1.jpg  
Old 03-26-09, 07:38 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Cheap & Flimsy...
See how much they thin out.
Old 03-26-09, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well I am one who is not into typing long winded internet commentary so I will point out just a few inconsistencies that I've noticed in your review. The other posts regarding mom & dads vehicles I will not touch..

For one, the steering wheel in leatherette equpped X5's are made of 100% leather.
BMW calls it "Leatherette", as I pointed out in my review. The stitching used on the wheel, like that on the newer Acura MDX models, feels hard, rough, and uncomfortable to my fingers. I wasn't impressed with the look or feel of the "Leatherette" on the seats either, but I DID point out that it was thick material and appeared to be durable. I don't think there's any unfairness or inconsistancy in that...that's just calling it like I see it.

Stereo & climate can be controlled w/o the use of the I-Drive controller. The ***** and dials to controll these functions are right on the dashboard for one to control like any typical vehicle. This would be difficult for one who has been in an X5 to miss.
Correct....but, even without I-Drive, they are still more complex than in many American and Asian competitors. And it's not just me.....Consumer Reports and some of the auto enthusiast mags have also come up with the same conclusion with many BMW and Mercedes products.

I was not using the term "break apart" literally, but as a metaphor, to illustrate a point....sorry if you misinterpreted it. But they ARE flimsy-feeling, as in many, if not most German-designed cars I look at. I stand by my statement. When German automakers start using better-grade plastic for their stalks, I'll mention it.

There is more but I will leave it at that..
I'll freely discuss any issues you have, anytime.
Old 03-26-09, 01:40 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I don't need to read the review to know that BMW got it right by offering a diesel in America.

Mercedes has the M
Volkswagen has the Toureg
BMW has the X5

Why does Toyota not have a Lexus GX, Prado or Land Cruiser diesel in America?
Old 03-26-09, 01:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

Because Toyota doesn't do diesel in the States, they do hybrids.
Old 03-26-09, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I don't need to read the review to know that BMW got it right by offering a diesel in America.
Go drive it, and you're correct....you won't have to read anything. One minute with that diesel is worth a thousand words. Same with the Mercedes Bluetec, although, to my senses, the BMW 3.0 diesel felt even torquier at low RPMs.

Why does Toyota not have a Lexus GX, Prado or Land Cruiser diesel in America?
Simple. As Allen K pointed out, the company's American branch is hung up on hybrids.
Old 03-26-09, 07:29 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Nice review... Thank you.

One thing I wanted to comment on is the up-down shift on the tranny. You mentioned that it is different in BMW from other cars with a similar feature. If I understand the picture correctly, one downshifts by pushing the lever forward and upshifts by pulling the lever back. If that is correct, than it makes perfect sense to me - I believe that it comes from sequential transmissions used in racing where the driver would be downshifting under heavy braking a lot of the time and the natural tendency for the hand is to slide forward under deceleration and to slide back under hard acceleration. So, I would think the BMW has it right on this one.
Old 03-26-09, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Nice review... Thank you.
Sure...anytime.

One thing I wanted to comment on is the up-down shift on the tranny. You mentioned that it is different in BMW from other cars with a similar feature. If I understand the picture correctly, one downshifts by pushing the lever forward and upshifts by pulling the lever back. If that is correct, than it makes perfect sense to me - I believe that it comes from sequential transmissions used in racing where the driver would be downshifting under heavy braking a lot of the time and the natural tendency for the hand is to slide forward under deceleration and to slide back under hard acceleration. So, I would think the BMW has it right on this one.
BMWs and Mazdas are the only mass-produced cars in the American market (that I know of) that bump the lever forward to downshift and back for upshifts. While you are correct that a lot of racing cars do it that way, most drivers, in America, are used to doing the opposite, so they (and, yes, me too) have to be careful when we get in a BMW or Mazda that we don't downshift accidently at high RPMs and get a big jolt.....and possible drivetrain damage. The computer probably won't let the engine red-line or over-rev from an accidental downshift, but, notheless, you may get quite a jolt and place a lot of stress on the drivetrain. Some newer auto-manual transmissions have automatic rev-matching on downshifts to keep from getting a big jolt like that.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel