Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 BMW X5 35d Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 10:27 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Because Toyota doesn't do diesel in the States, they do hybrids.
Diesel and hybrids co-exist in overseas markets like New Zealand/Africa and Australia...the diesels do not overlap the hybrids at all.

There is no reason that Toyota could not offer the GX and the Land Cruiser in diesel form...
Old 03-27-09, 08:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There is no reason that Toyota could not offer the GX and the Land Cruiser in diesel form...
Cost of making a clean diesel.
Old 03-27-09, 08:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Diesel and hybrids co-exist in overseas markets like New Zealand/Africa and Australia...the diesels do not overlap the hybrids at all.

True, but overseas Diesels aren't seen as "dirty" like they are in the states. Personally, I'm pro-diesel, and if the clean diesels were available when I was shopping for my IS, I probably would have gotten one.
Old 03-27-09, 08:28 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Clean diesels are still dirty unfortunately.
Old 03-28-09, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Clean diesels are still dirty unfortunately.

No. Thanks largely to the urea-injection systems and the extreme precision of the high-pressure, common-rail injection, they are clean enough to pass CA and NY emissions....currently the toughest in the country.
Old 03-28-09, 03:52 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice review, but i have a question. Lexus and Merc suv's are traditionally the luxurious ones with bmw being the sporty one, but if people want something sporty, why don't they just buy a bmw wagon or sedan since a sports suv is sort of pointless......at least in my mind
Old 03-28-09, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Very nice review
Thanks.

but i have a question. Lexus and Merc suv's are traditionally the luxurious ones with bmw being the sporty one
The Porsche Cayenne, not the BMW X3/X5, is probably the "sportiest" SUV.
But you are partly right...the average BMW is "sportier" than the average Mercedes, though the AMG Mercedes models sometime give them good competition.

I would consider the 2010 Lexus RX350 more "luxurious" than any Mercedes SUV I've driven....even the GL. The RX350's ultra-smooth smooth drivetrain, overall refinement, and quietness are superb, though the ride on the all-new 2010 model, with the new wishbone suspension, is a little stiffer than I'd like.

but if people want something sporty, why don't they just buy a bmw wagon or sedan since a sports suv is sort of pointless......at least in my mind
In general, the best answer I can give you is that low-stance AWD BMW sedan/wagons won't go through a foot of snow or do mild off-roading like a higher-stance X3/X5. That, for example, is why Subaru makes the higher-stance Outback version of the Legacy sedan (I own an Outback myself). I've been through stuff with my Outback (snow as much as 9", and 5-6" of solid sleet/ice pellets) that would leave a regular Legacy, even with AWD, almost helpless.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-09 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 10:38 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks MMarshall! I absolutely value and love your reviews. One of the big deterrents for the RX450h is that it is just a little too small for my family. Hence why we are interested in the X5.

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Very nice review, but i have a question. Lexus and Merc suv's are traditionally the luxurious ones with bmw being the sporty one, but if people want something sporty, why don't they just buy a bmw wagon or sedan since a sports suv is sort of pointless......at least in my mind
I absolutely love wagons. I actually test drove the X5 35d and the 535xi Wagon back to back. What ultimately steered me away from the 535 is that I do some off roading and that 535 sits basically as high as a standard 535. I also tow about 3500 lbs several times a year and the BMW Salesman himself was against the idea. We even talked to the Service Tech and he thought we shouldn't do that.
Old 03-29-09, 11:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall

No. Thanks largely to the urea-injection systems and the extreme precision of the high-pressure, common-rail injection, they are clean enough to pass CA and NY emissions....currently the toughest in the country.
So they emit less CO2. They still produce toxins and have a very poor rating on the air pollution scale. I believe the Jetta TDI had a 1 (out of 10), the new one is a 3, where your average passenger vehicle is rated at 6.
Old 03-29-09, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
So they emit less CO2. They still produce toxins and have a very poor rating on the air pollution scale. I believe the Jetta TDI had a 1 (out of 10), the new one is a 3, where your average passenger vehicle is rated at 6.
OK...maybe so. But they are infinitely better then the dirty, smelly diesels of the 70's and 80's, and still pass emissions in all 50 states and the EPA....those standards regulate PPMs of both hydrocarbons and NOx.

And, since you are a Subaru fan like me......Subie diesels may be on the way here shortly.
Old 03-29-09, 06:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is an informative general video review of the X5 for potential shoppers.. Not taking anything away from you Marshall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXob5...om=PL&index=22

As far as it being "sportier" than the Cayenne, I beg to differ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s7-eEqn6VI

I can't wait for the battle between the Cayenne Turbo S vs. the BMW X5M..
Old 03-29-09, 07:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is true but they're rated at Tier 2 Bin 5 which is what the majority of the gasoline engines meet (ULEV-II).

Hybrids are in the SULEV range (Tier 2 Bin 3) with certain California-emission-standard vehicles meeting the Tier 2 Bin 3 rating too with zero evaporative emissions which make them PZEV (e.g. certain Subaru models, Focus, Camry etc). The Civic Hybrid is currently the leader at Tier 2 Bin 2.
Old 03-30-09, 06:07 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent write-up! My wife has a X5 and it has been a very good car, no real issues so far, only a few small ones – it is a 2005. We do have the extended warranty just to be safe. I think the new design drives very nice compared to the previous design – more refined and not as harsh. The only real issue I have with them is their service and how they do maintenance – oil changes every 12-15K miles is way too high in my book. What they do not tell you with their “Free” maintenance is if you want things replaced sooner or service done sooner than what they say you pay for it out of your own pocket. When I look at the oil in her X5 is jet black and getting thick at 12K miles but they keep telling me that is “normal” . Most of the service replacement intervals they specify are way too long in my opinion. They are fine if you are not going to keep the car past its original warranty, you probably will not see any problems till after that point.
Old 03-30-09, 06:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

OK...maybe so. But they are infinitely better then the dirty, smelly diesels of the 70's and 80's, and still pass emissions in all 50 states and the EPA....those standards regulate PPMs of both hydrocarbons and NOx.

And, since you are a Subaru fan like me......Subie diesels may be on the way here shortly.
Yes, I do laud Subaru's first attempt at a diesel. The mileage of a Jetta TDI in an AWD sedan/wagon. Good work. Though, my understanding is that it too will require some work before it can be 50 state legal.