Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I have these Scuffs on my bumper - $1250 --Yikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 05:03 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I have these Scuffs on my bumper - $1250 --Yikes

I have a few scuffs on the corner of my front bumper. I go see the Lexus 'endorsed' body shop and the guy sits down with his computer and calculator and says that it will be $1250 to fix. I say "you've got to be kidding me, my first car cost more than that and I had the complete car painted for $350" - He says "Those bumpers are tricky to paint" - IOW - Our profit margin is so high, that it is hard to tell you the price with a straight face.

I come home and ask my neighbor, who I know had an accident and was very pleased with his body shop, for their name and number. I call the gentleman and he tells me that they fix these plastic scuffed bumpers all the time and gives me quote over the phone for $200.

I think the same thing that has happened to Body Work that has happened to Health care. The insurance company is paying, so I don't care what it costs.

Bottom Line : You don't have to be ripped off for body work.
Old 03-25-09, 05:33 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exact same scenario is playing out with me. Some unsavoury person hit my rear bumper and took off. I went to the stealership and they quoted me $750 to repaint the bumper. After thanking them for their time, I went to a few independent body shops in the area and found another quote for $300. I can't see the $750 job being 2.5 times better than the $300 job so that's where I plan to go to get my bumper painted.

P.S. Health care up here is "free" (paid for by the government) so it definitely happens here (i.e. people have absolutely no idea what the true cost of health care is).
Old 03-25-09, 05:37 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
P.S. Health care up here is "free" (paid for by the government) so it definitely happens here (i.e. people have absolutely no idea what the true cost of health care is).
Well, at least the government is non-profit there. Our local insurance company exec walked away with $2 Billion, before the shareholders finally threw him out! You do know that the U.S. pays about twice what you guys pay! - So, yes we know what it costs, and ours will be going the government route soon, because the middle class can no longer afford it.
Old 03-25-09, 09:48 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

If the plastic bumper was not torn, etc., and the little shocks that hold it out were not blown, and had to be replaced, all they do is sand the old one, maybe even the entire bumper, prime it, block it, spray flex agent and paint, and then clear and its done. Some little hispanic guy will do it for couple hundred and that would be everything.. Holy profit margin !! They are not "tricky" to paint if you are a journeyman painter or even an apprentice with a couple years experience.
Glad you guys didnt fall for the big price people.. They need to go read the internet news or the newspaper and see what is happening to the economy..
If this was a solid color, its even easier, because you probably dont have to blend it with the rest of the car, and even if you had to blend it, it is still really easy work..
Good luck with your repair; do not pay for it, until you look at it first, feel it, for smoothness, look at it in good light, make sure the inside of your vehicle is not full of overspray, dust, etc., and you are incredibly happy with the result..
If you are not happy, they have to keep it and fix it until you are - then you pay for it..
Blame the economy for your being a little concerned about it...

Good luck !
DanF
Old 03-25-09, 11:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
Little off topic but I have to clarify; it's not the health care that's gov't paid for (aka 'free'), it's the health insurrance. This amounts to essentially the same thing for most people most of the time, until you run into something that isn't covered under the gov't paid for insurrance or your extended health (usually an employer program)
Old 03-26-09, 12:11 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus dealer quoted my friend $850 for a whole new bumper installed. $1,250 to repair sounds a bit much IMO.
Old 03-26-09, 04:35 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Lexus dealer quoted my friend $850 for a whole new bumper installed. $1,250 to repair sounds a bit much IMO.
I just looked at the estimate aagain is was $1,294.00
Old 03-26-09, 05:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I just looked at the estimate aagain is was $1,294.00
I had my rear bumper replaced for under $800. The shop was certified by my insurance company. If this shop is consistently charging 50%-100% more than other reputable body shops, they are going to lose insurance co certifications. Insurance companies know exactly how much a repair should cost.
Old 03-26-09, 07:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my bumper costed $2300 at the dealer when I got rear ended by someone. Dealer did a good job and other guy paid.
Old 03-26-09, 07:29 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Go somewhere else and ask for a basic paint job. I realize your car is a bit newer than mine. But I had some deep grooves in my bumper cover and flaking paint. I asked a joe smoe body shop to sand and paint the bumper and that I didn't need it to be perfect by any means. $300 later I had an immaculate bumper. As you know red paint is prone to fading. They matched my paint on the car with the new paint on the bumper. One body shop wanted $700 for the same work.
Old 03-26-09, 09:50 AM
beercity
Rookie

Just had my rear bumper (small scratch) fixed 3 weeks ago. $865. Not my insurance, so I didn't mind the price. It's fixed and looks good... $865 good.
Old 03-26-09, 10:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My car had a little damage caused by some idiot uninsured pickup driver that did not secure particle board in his bed that flew out and hit my car. Just to repaint my hood and bumper on my black car from the Lexus recommended shop was going to be like $2400 which I thought was insane, I was expecting maybe $500-700 as I don't see why it would cost so much to do. I think it has everything to do with insurance overpaying for paintwork as to why they can get away with charging so much.

Not sure about your position but you may want to ask them if you could prep it yourself(take the bumper off and sand it) how much they would knock off. $1250 just to repaint a front bumper sounds too high, you could probably get a new bumper for that. I would look elsewhere or look into doing it yourself.
Old 03-26-09, 12:28 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
That's installed and painted. Igot my bumper painted for $200 from a guy who visits used car dealers and makes his living touching up high end cars. That $1250 estimate was the WALLET FLUSH, so the dealer could make his next boat payment !!
Old 03-26-09, 01:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hahah

look who'se starving.....
Old 03-26-09, 05:16 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
My car had a little damage caused by some idiot uninsured pickup driver that did not secure particle board in his bed that flew out and hit my car. Just to repaint my hood and bumper on my black car from the Lexus recommended shop was going to be like $2400 which I thought was insane, I was expecting maybe $500-700 as I don't see why it would cost so much to do. I think it has everything to do with insurance overpaying for paintwork as to why they can get away with charging so much.

Not sure about your position but you may want to ask them if you could prep it yourself(take the bumper off and sand it) how much they would knock off. $1250 just to repaint a front bumper sounds too high, you could probably get a new bumper for that. I would look elsewhere or look into doing it yourself.
I am getting it fixed for $200. - This was in my first post.

Quick Reply: So I have these Scuffs on my bumper - $1250 --Yikes