Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering a used 2004 Acura TSX: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 10:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

These TSX are great commuter cars for those who are looking for something more upscale than the usual Honda Civics. A friend of mine bought a 2004 TSX and it's still going strong. Honda makes awesome 4 cylinder engines.
Old 03-28-09, 11:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
from a dealer or private individual? with navi? if from a dealer and with navi, see if you can get an updated navi. how many miles? hondas/acuras have notorious batteries, if its still the original battery, it will need a new one. Check for rattles, drive over some rough terrain. Listen to loud music.

oh. you should be asking questions over on acurazine as well.
Honda's "premium" sound systems use Alpine, Panasonic or Pioneer components - Bose and ELS systems get a different Bose or Panny amp and speakers. Ditto on the battery comment, although my friend was able to get 4 years out of the OEM battery in his 2000 Accord.
Old 03-29-09, 08:26 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Private party, 1 owner.

No NAV, about 80k miles

Will do on the test drives and acurazine
Its due for some service items then. Find out if/when they've been taken care of (and if not, knock the price down some)

Off the top of my head: Transmission fluid change (3x drain & refill), spark plugs, cabin filter, engine filter, break fluid change.
Old 03-29-09, 08:28 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
Honda's "premium" sound systems use Alpine, Panasonic or Pioneer components - Bose and ELS systems get a different Bose or Panny amp and speakers. Ditto on the battery comment, although my friend was able to get 4 years out of the OEM battery in his 2000 Accord.
regarding my 'listen to the sound loud' comment, that was more to check for rattles than sound quality.
Old 03-29-09, 03:24 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
for how much? around 15k? it's a great car with a surprisingly roomy backseat.
Asking 9-10k, seems low
Old 03-29-09, 04:56 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meowCat
He doesn't mind this model and year. He likes the 3rd gen TL's as well. They are great looking cars. What he does not like is the new, redesigned TL and RL ... and the way Acura is heading, which I totally agree with. I support him 1000%.
Are you sure it's not 10000%?

Anyway, the TSX is a nice car, but honestly, it's not a luxury car. Acuras feel way too much like Hondas, IMO. Having owned several Lexuses and then going to Acura was a night and day difference for me. While the Acura is a "nice" car, it doesn't have the quality or luxury feel of a Lexus in the same class. Just my opinion, of course. As far as reliability is concerned though, you can't go wrong with any Acura. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 03-29-09, 07:27 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with that as well. The TSX is still essentially a Euro-market Accord, loaded with every feature. It's a great, solid, dependable commuter, and the k024 is a great motor. But as far as an all out competitior to the german stalwarts or Lexus, it isn't.
Old 03-29-09, 09:02 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

luxury is relative.
Old 03-29-09, 11:16 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
for how much? around 15k? it's a great car with a surprisingly roomy backseat.
for that price i'd rather get this car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...3A1|240%3A1308

I think used TL is better value than used TSX....
Old 03-30-09, 12:37 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
for that price i'd rather get this car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...3A1|240%3A1308

I think used TL is better value than used TSX....
TLs have tranny issues before 2006/2007 but boy are those beasts.
Old 03-30-09, 12:40 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

What a black beauty. TSX looks great in black as well, with the chrome around the bodywork. So classy, and this the last gen you're looking at has a superbly sculpted body.
Old 03-30-09, 08:28 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

You maybe correct. The sources will probably indicate the TL having better value than the TSX, but in reality, according to the owners (including myself), it's not so great. I love this quote.. "You Get What You Pay For.." The build quality and fit and finish isn't that good. It uses cheap plastics on the interior i.e. driver's console, dashboard, door panels, etc. You can't expect to get good out of a car for cheap. What's even worse is that they have tranny synchro problems on the manual tranny version.
When I got in the TSX, wow, boy did it feel QUALITY. It felt more like a Lexus. The *good stuff* from Acura in terms of fit/finish are the TSX and RL. The TL feels more like American car Mustang or the like. Before I got rid of my TL I was thinking of trading it in for a TSX.... but it was a downgrade in power so I got the Lexus.

The 3rd gen TL has a great design. It's one of the sexiest looking sedans. The handling is great too. Mine had LSD, 6MT. I liked the gear ratios too. I can do some damage at high speeds 120+ mph. I whupped a Cadillac CTS in high speed from a roll. I also beat a few late model 5 series BMW's as well. Gave em good spanky. After they got beat they backed off like a chicken.... But the build quality, kind of sucks. Sorry.

easy.
TL made in USA
TSX made in japan
Old 03-30-09, 09:42 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

sub-par side impact crash score if you didn't already know or care, I'm thinking about picking up an '08 TL myself.
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=554
Old 03-30-09, 09:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

TSX = bullet proof. research the motor. The K20 motors are world famous for reliability
Old 03-31-09, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is why we cannot simply assume Honda Accord cars are equal to the TSX in terms of build quality. Did you know....Honda Accord's (late models) are made in USA too?

Honda Accords, and some of their derivitives, have been built at Marysville, OH for years. From what I have seen (and Consumer Reports), their build quality and reliability is as good or better than Honda/Acuras produced anywhere else....including Japan.

You may probably know this, but the TSX, in the American market, is actually
a re-badged version of the smaller, overseas-market Accord that is not sold in the U.S. The American-market Accord is larger than the overseas-market version, primarily to cater to the average American tastes.

Quick Reply: Considering a used 2004 Acura TSX: opinions?