Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering a used 2004 Acura TSX: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 10:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
You maybe correct. The sources will probably indicate the TL having better value than the TSX, but in reality, according to the owners (including myself), it's not so great. I love this quote.. "You Get What You Pay For.." The build quality and fit and finish isn't that good. It uses cheap plastics on the interior i.e. driver's console, dashboard, door panels, etc. You can't expect to get good out of a car for cheap. What's even worse is that they have tranny synchro problems on the manual tranny version.
When I got in the TSX, wow, boy did it feel QUALITY. It felt more like a Lexus. The *good stuff* from Acura in terms of fit/finish are the TSX and RL. The TL feels more like American car Mustang or the like. Before I got rid of my TL I was thinking of trading it in for a TSX.... but it was a downgrade in power so I got the Lexus.

The 3rd gen TL has a great design. It's one of the sexiest looking sedans. The handling is great too. Mine had LSD, 6MT. I liked the gear ratios too. I can do some damage at high speeds 120+ mph. I whupped a Cadillac CTS in high speed from a roll. I also beat a few late model 5 series BMW's as well. Gave em good spanky. After they got beat they backed off like a chicken.... But the build quality, kind of sucks. Sorry.

My parents have a 08 TL and I have been in quite a few of them over the years and did not find that the build quality sucks or was bad, it is very good and as good if not better then my GS430. The materials are also good/high quality and I have never heard of any issues with them. Maybe your car was
just one of the few bad ones out of the bunch but they are generally known to be very good cars inside and out. I did not feel this big difference in quality from the first gen TSX compared to the 08 TL. Yes there is a pretty big difference between the RL and the TSX/TL but then again the RL is significantly more expensive and on a whole other level and many argue has the nicest interior in its class.

As far as the IS being such a step up from the TL in interior build quality/materials like you keep saying I did not find that to be the case at all(have you seen all the threads in the IS section about issues with the interior). Many of the interior bits in the IS felt hollow and thin and not very high quality. They look nice and it is a nice design but they don't feel that solid or as nice as previous Lexus models. I sat and drove an IS350 a few months ago that was only 2 years old that I was possibly considering buying and the wear and tear and how it was holding up was really disappointing. Paint was wearing off the edges of some of the ***** and switches, the silver painted plastic trim near the doors was flaking off and fading pretty bad, "wood" trim in the shifter area had all kinds of little scratches, the leather showed noticeable wear on the drivers/passenger side and was cracking and losing the top part of the leather, when you touched the front plastic dash area and pressed the buttons it made that cheap squeaking cracking sound like it was loose and did not fit right, the fitment around the glovebox area and center dash was noticeably off. I noticed poor wear in another used IS250 but it was not as bad as the IS350. Not saying I think the interior is bad, I was just disappointed especially after reading how some were going on and on how the interior was so great.

The things I don't like about the 08 TL are the lip of the rear bumper design is a magnet for water drops, pollen, dust. The leather is more grained and not as soft/smooth as the previous generation, and I would rather the top dash area to match the beige leather instead of it being black which does not look as nice and I wish the steering wheel was just a little thicker to go with the sportier ride/feel. I am impressed by the fit/finish and materials and I am very picky about that stuff.

As far as the TSX it is a fantastic car and I would highly recommend it. The 4 cylinder is fun and power is decent but it could use more like pretty much every car. I never talked to anyone who owned one that did not love the car and they are extremely reliable and well built. As far as the new model TSX I did not find the materials to be a step down from the older one. It was definitely more plush and did not look or feel as sporty and some of the plastics/trim felt a little different but I would not say they felt cost cut, just a little different. I am seeing more and more new TSX on the road and it is a very sharp looking car, I like the way the rings around the gauges lights up but I still wish it got the turbo powerplant from the RDX as an option.

Last edited by UDel; 03-31-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 06:41 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove an '06 TSX for 15000 miles and loved it. The car is super classy and I commuted to work in it everyday with no complaints. I would not go back to a TSX after owning a TL, I think my one of my favorite cars as far as looks goes is a black 04 TL with camel leather (wait...that is what I drive). I HATE the rattles at times...but I get over it because I can get 35 mpg in my TL and never got more than 23 in my GS400 (average based on calculations). I say go for the TL...you can get great gas mileage and the interior is SOO much nicer IMO...the leather seats are so much more comfortable and just look better, plus, you get a cheap subwoofer in the rear deck that will rattle lots for you!
Old 03-31-09, 07:29 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions. The deal fell apart so I am still in the market for a commuter ride

1) sub 10K price
2) sub 80k miles used
3) auto tranny
4) gas mileage is a concern

Thanks
Old 03-31-09, 07:33 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question <10k

w/ those requirements the old standy by choices of Civic/Corolla seem like a good fit.
Old 03-31-09, 10:56 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to be picky on little stuff. Is something bothering you lately?

10000% is 1000%. 1000% is 100%. It's called an exaggeration. I'm surprised you couldn't even figure that out.
There's never been a single time when you haven't agreed with 1Sick 1000% of the time, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't at the 10,000 mark at this point.

What does this have anything to do with a guy who's shopping for a TSX? Did someone say TSX trounces the Lexus in terms of build quality? Nobody was saying it's better than the Lexus. We are talking about TSX and the rest of the Acura line here. You want to compare between two brands then go create a new thread and talk about it there.
Because if he has that kind of money to spend on a pre-owned TSX, I am trying to convey my opinion that perhaps that money might be better spent on a pre-owned Lexus instead. Having owned several models from both brands, I think I can say that IMO Lexus is the better buy and you will get more for your money. So it doesn't matter what model it is, in general I prefer Lexus and I sometimes regret my Acura purchases (as apparently you do as well, no?). I'm simply trying to help out another board member before he makes a purchase that he may end up regretting, especially if he is used to Lexus quality.

Again, read my previous paragraph above. Get out, and create a new thread. You can talk about it all you want there. Are you trying to get attention or something? Voicing an opinion is fine, but what you say here doesn't really have much to do with the thread topic discussion. This ain't Acura Vs. Lexus thread..... get out of it.
Honestly, I really don't give a crap what you have to say. In fact I usually just skip over your posts, because they generally seem to consist of only agreeing with other posters' opinions and/or sucking up to a particular member. You did not start this thread and you are not a moderator. So go check yourself and have a nice day.

Now I can see you are definitely a new guy. How do you know that he can't go wrong with any Acura?.. Just because they are Acura doesn't mean they all have great reliability. THIS is where you should have said "In my opinion..", or something like "I think.... blah blah blah". You don't seem to know much about these cars. Be more careful before you make statements.
Well, gee, not EVERY SINGLE Acura produced is a gem, but Acura routinely receives above average reliability ratings year after year after year. So no, it would not be "my opinion" that they are reliable. In fact, it would be a pretty stupid thing to say in general.

You don't seem to know much about these cars. Be more careful before you make statements.
I don't need to be more careful about making statements in regards to my opinion and what is generally accepted throughout the automotive world as fact. I think you need to be more careful about the statements you make, considering your opinions and your facts all seem to be regurgitated posts from other members of this board. Of course, that is just my opinion. And please do not wink at me, you're not my type. Thanks.
Old 04-01-09, 09:23 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda Accords, and some of their derivitives, have been built at Marysville, OH for years. From what I have seen (and Consumer Reports), their build quality and reliability is as good or better than Honda/Acuras produced anywhere else....including Japan.

You may probably know this, but the TSX, in the American market, is actually
a re-badged version of the smaller, overseas-market Accord that is not sold in the U.S. The American-market Accord is larger than the overseas-market version, primarily to cater to the average American tastes.
Most Accords are made in the USA - but some, mostly 4-cylinder models are made in Japan, and on the 6th gen 1998-2002 models a few DX/LX models were made in Honda's then new plant in Mexico. The Accord Coupes are exclusively made in Ohio.

And the US Accord is sold in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia with few modifications, while also being sold as the Inspire in Japan and the V6 model is available in New Zealand and Australia.