Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dustin spots the new Mercedes E class!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 03:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
But I really want to see Mercedes reliability come up for me to look at them seriously.
I agree a pattern of improved reliability needs to be established by MB. The new C-class has improved reliability as a result of correct engineering up front. After owning a 2008 C-class for over a year I can really see and feel the difference vs. prior models. Hopefully the new E-class is the same or better.

IMHO Mercedes will only accomplish better reliability with their new design releases, not just bandaiding current/older models.
Old 03-28-09, 04:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If mercedes and bmw become reliable, there will be no reason to buy lexus for a lot of people. As to the new e class, it's nice but not anything to gawk at. When the thrid gen. gs came out, that was something to gawk at, it was and is beautiful. I just wish cars like lexus, mercedes, and bmw, more so mercedes and bmw, had real strong presence. Like back in the day if you saw someone in an s class, you knew what was up, now its sort of like, o another big car.....anyone else get what i'm saying?
Old 03-28-09, 05:33 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
If mercedes and bmw become reliable, there will be no reason to buy lexus for a lot of people. As to the new e class, it's nice but not anything to gawk at. When the thrid gen. gs came out, that was something to gawk at, it was and is beautiful. I just wish cars like lexus, mercedes, and bmw, more so mercedes and bmw, had real strong presence. Like back in the day if you saw someone in an s class, you knew what was up, now its sort of like, o another big car.....anyone else get what i'm saying?
Yup, nobody seems to want to push the envelope anymore and it's too bad. When you have Hyundais looking like MBs, something is seriously wrong with things on top. These designs and this particular design is way too conservative looking to be a new model, IMO. It is the same ole same ole from MB and it isn't unique in any way when compared to other cars in its class or in any class for that matter. If you own a Mercedes, you want people to be able to instantly recognize that it's a Mercedes, and not be able to compare it to a Hyundai or some other vehicles with similar styling. Of any of them, it seems Infiniti is the only luxury brand willing to take some risks in the styling department these days. Audi/MB/BMW/Lexus are all starting to look alike And you can now add Hyundai to that list as well.
Old 03-28-09, 05:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I have an idea I know exactly what you are talking about. The new GS is amazing in its looks that it desperately needs a water pill but then on the inside it isn't that roomy.
that is the 3GS paradox.

on the outside, it is merely 1" shorter than an ES,
but on the inside, it is smaller in all dimensions; head, shoulder, leg, waist room.

the space just disappeared
Old 03-28-09, 07:55 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

When I was a youngin when some one said they had a s class, that had the same effect as some one saying they drive around a bentley maybach or rolls royce.
Old 03-28-09, 09:27 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
When I was a youngin when some one said they had a s class, that had the same effect as some one saying they drive around a bentley maybach or rolls royce.
Yeah back in the days (early 90's) when people roll in S class, the car had like a dictator status.

Now its just another expensive car.
Old 03-28-09, 09:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

rear definitely looks like a japanese car to me. but i guess it's growing on me.
Old 03-28-09, 10:20 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just cause rear tail lights are "rectangular" and has a white strip in the middle doesn't mean it looks same as Hyundai and Q45... It's all about the DETAILS, cars/sedans "in general" all look similar; case and point Toyota vs Lexus, but it’s the attention to detail that separate the design from decent, good, to excellent. This forum is too critical sometimes… 2010 E-Class two thumbs up!!!
Old 03-28-09, 11:15 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like the next gen E. It looks dated (1980s) inside. It looks ugly outside with the LED DRL, Japanese style tail lights, and wrong side profile. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-09, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i still think the rear is very weak. will see the car in person later, but first impression definitely hasn't been too pleasant
Old 03-28-09, 11:55 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss the old Teutonic days - but the new E ain't bad, but how's the quality?
Old 03-29-09, 12:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

not feeling it. The rear looks weak and the front is also to mild in styling for my liking. The interior is not bad, but its not that great either
Old 03-29-09, 12:37 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Just cause rear tail lights are "rectangular" and has a white strip in the middle doesn't mean it looks same as Hyundai and Q45... It's all about the DETAILS,

preach it.

that q45 comparo was way off. not even close.
Old 03-31-09, 03:02 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

If mercedes and bmw become reliable, there will be no reason to buy lexus for a lot of people.

Not quite. Every brand has their loyal customers. Every brand has customers who've experienced the good side and the bad side of their products and service (including Lexus).

And moreover (what is often overlooked), there are a lot of folks out there who jump from brand to brand with no real brand loyalty (at least not yet). These guys are willing to try different cars and may eventually settle (or not) for a particular brand.

In terms of visual quality, the new E cockpit made a good impression on me. I'm very happy with my E230 (last generation E class) which has been very reilable and good to me. Given the great rankings the new C class is achieving in quality reports, I have no doubt that the new E class is going to be a very good car.

Still, I'm definitely going for the Citroen C5 HDi as my next car once the company lease on the E230 is up!
Old 03-31-09, 03:03 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac
I don't like the next gen E. It looks dated (1980s) inside. It looks ugly outside with the LED DRL, Japanese style tail lights, and wrong side profile. Just my 2 cents.

So the Japanese have a copyright on those types of taillights? Interesting...

Quick Reply: Dustin spots the new Mercedes E class!