Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dustin spots the new Mercedes E class!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 07:14 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dustin spots the new Mercedes E class!

Hi guys,

Sorry for not being a regular, but I am just very busy these days!

I brought my E230 to the Mercedes dealer for a scheduled maintenance check-up. To my surprise, they had the new E class on display inside the workshop, probably because one section of the dealer is currently being renovated and they don't have enough showroom space at the moment. I was told that on Monday the car will be moved inside the showroom, but people can get first glances of it here.

My impressions of the vehicle were very positive. The new E class makes the last generation model, which I drive, look and feel old. The design is very pleasant. Dynamic, yet with a strong mark of elegance. The vehicle appears nothing like in the press photos. As always, seeing something like this in real life is much better than seeing it in pictures.

The cabin made a solid impression on me. The materials used were definitely of a high standard and the build quality, from a visual point of view, looked highly impressive. The seats were soft and comfortable and there was ample space inside the cabin, too. Generally, it looks like a winner for Mercedes. It's a beautiful car, inside and out.

I happened to have my digital camera along with me and snapped a few pictures. I apologize if the pictures aren't that good, but I am not much of a photographer.

Old 03-28-09, 07:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

Nice! I'm still not a fan of the rear, but the front and the interior look fantastic.
Old 03-28-09, 07:26 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Oh, and on the way home I spotted this old Benz in traffic. Looks like a 300SL Roadster! Nice!

Notice the license plate which is registered in Munich. These guys have a long journey home, but it must be fun and enjoyable in such a car.

Old 03-28-09, 07:41 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice mid-size c-class.Well done! Rear still stinks. AMG will be hot & luv those LED fogs. It will be another hit for MB. Worried that the next GS will suck. It sure would be nice to have 400hp + for the next gen. GS.
Old 03-28-09, 08:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It really looks great, and especially in that color

I still feel like the rear end ruined what could have been a fantastic looking sedan. As others have said, it looks way too generic and a lot like a Hyundai Sonata.

Aside from that the whole car looks fantastic.
Old 03-28-09, 08:39 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Dustin,
Where in Europe are you located? It's obvious these weren't taken in Maryland.
Old 03-28-09, 08:55 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
Dustin,
Where in Europe are you located? It's obvious these weren't taken in Maryland.
Ah, I need to change my location (keep forgetting to do that). I live and work in Stuttgart in Germany.
Old 03-28-09, 09:12 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the next GS can't offer as much, for less money, it will be DOA

might as well scrap the whole car and downsize the product line
Old 03-28-09, 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice sneak peek photos.
Old 03-28-09, 10:31 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Very nice!!!
Old 03-28-09, 12:41 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

love the color, very much like the truffle mica. i like the rear...especially with that mini spoiler. front and interior look top notch though.
Old 03-28-09, 01:08 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

That interior design is atrocious. It looks dated and cheap for this class of car. Why oh why can't MB (and BMW for that matter) design interiors as nice as Audi, Lexus, Acura, Cadillac (CTS), and Infiniti?

I'm sure the materials are high quality, but that boxy, plain, boring design is just not modern looking at all. This is 2009, not 1999.
Old 03-28-09, 02:43 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
That interior design is atrocious. It looks dated and cheap for this class of car. Why oh why can't MB (and BMW for that matter) design interiors as nice as Audi, Lexus, Acura, Cadillac (CTS), and Infiniti?

I'm sure the materials are high quality, but that boxy, plain, boring design is just not modern looking at all. This is 2009, not 1999.
I have no problems with the interior, which looks modern with a touch of retro. Nothing wrong with that, it suits the vehicle. Once you see the vehicle in real life the exterior and interior design aspects will harmonize well with each other (and hopefully in your mind).

By the way, I find the new E class interior to be better than that of the Lexus GS in many ways. It feels more homely and inviting (not to mention more spacious) and the design fits right in with the new C class and GLK class. Mercedes is clearly showing what their new styling direction will be in regards to interiors: a mixture of boxy and curvy forms.

I'd also like to know what exactly classifies boxy shapes as "cheap / outdated"? Last time I checked Bauhaus was still considered "in" in this day and age.
Old 03-28-09, 02:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
I have no problems with the interior, which looks modern with a touch of retro. Nothing wrong with that, it suits the vehicle. Once you see the vehicle in real life the exterior and interior design aspects will harmonize well with each other (and hopefully in your mind).

By the way, I find the new E class interior to be better than that of the Lexus GS in many ways. It feels more homely and inviting (not to mention more spacious) and the design fits right in with the new C class and GLK class. Mercedes is clearly showing what their new styling direction will be in regards to interiors: a mixture of boxy and curvy forms.

I'd also like to know what exactly classifies boxy shapes as "cheap / outdated"? Last time I checked Bauhaus was still considered "in" in this day and age.
I have an idea I know exactly what you are talking about. The new GS is amazing in its looks that it desperately needs a water pill but then on the inside it isn't that roomy. Especially compared to my second GS. Homey, inviting, and spacious are not words you see applied to car interiors for a long time.

But I really want to see Mercedes reliability come up for me to look at them seriously.
Old 03-28-09, 02:57 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

I dig the new E and Mercedes overall new designs across the lineup. But I think the rear looks too much like this old Infiniti Q45

Quick Reply: Dustin spots the new Mercedes E class!