Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Move over Lexus...there are some nicer cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 11:32 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC4
The LS still looks like an overweight camry to me. Very bland compared to the competition.
I agree. The big problem with the current LS460 is that it lacks any sense of elegance. Where the LS430 had elegance written all over it. The LS430 did not lead with hp or tq, rear seat leg room etc. It lead with refinement and elegance.

Lack of any sense of elegance or being trendy is what the Lexus lineup or cars is.

I will give Lexus credit, their Suvs lead the pack.

Old 03-29-09, 11:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree the new Maxima is improved over the old one, but compared to some interiors by Lexus and Audi, it follows. There's still room for improvement.
Old 03-29-09, 11:40 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
The Audi A/S8 has got to have the blandest styling between the LS/S/7, all it looks like is a longer A6, which isn't bad looking but not great looking and at best average looking. I'd say the A6 and A8 rank last in terms of looks in their classes and are the worst looking vehicles in Audi's entire lineup.

And man, as for the TL, it might turn heads but probably not in a good way...
man the a8/s8 is one beautiful car. unparalleled even. Just the right hint of arrogance with timless styling. I cannot say the same thing for the lexus ls, which is just a mix of corporate toyota lines. same holds true for the interior. The wood is tacky and overdone and the layout is too close to that of lower Lexus models. There's just no real old world elegance in the current product. This doesn't matter on the GS (which I think gets unfairly treated, it's a beautiful car) and IS, but in this class, the styling at least doesn't lend itself as a credible competitor to the a8.

there is such a thing as amg-overdone...

vs.

the current a8 styling is beautiful. I just don't know what else to say. It blends form, art, and time like no large sedan I've really seen outside of a RR/Bentley.

Last edited by FKL; 03-29-09 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 11:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

yes the maxima is a nice looking sedan, but its far from exotic. The LS460 ****s on the maxima, and yes I bought my lexus because it has a much better reputation than infiniti ( amongst other things). To each his own but I am sticking with my over priced Lexus and overpriced G37 over the Genesis
Old 03-29-09, 11:42 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree the new Maxima is improved over the old one, but compared to some interiors by Lexus and Audi, it follows. There's still room for improvement.
Well, except that the Maxima does not compete with models by Lexus or Audi. That's why we have Infiniti. If the Maxima is even being mentioned alongside models from luxury brands, then Nissan is obviously doing something right with their flagship.
Old 03-29-09, 11:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
man the a8/s8 is one beautiful car. unparalleled even. Just the right hint of arrogance with timless styling. I cannot say the same thing for the lexus ls, which is just a mix of corporate toyota lines. same holds true for the interior. The wood is tacky and overdone in my opinion. There's just no real old world elegance in the current product.

there is such a thing as amg-overdone...

vs.

Couldnt' agree more. The A8 is stately, clean, modern, and artistic. It doesn't need fru-fru lines and bling body jewlry like the BMW and Mercedes to make it's presence felt. Cars like that make people think, "dang... who's inside that thing?"
Old 03-29-09, 11:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
the current a8 styling is beautiful. I just don't know what else to say. It blends form, art, and time like no large sedan I've really seen outside of a RR/Bentley.
I agree with you. S8 is one of the most beautiful large sedans you can buy today.

And OP is on crack.
Old 03-30-09, 12:01 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
jury has reached a verdict

this whole thread is guilty of bias to the 3rd degree

some of us like fat chicks, some skinny chicks, and some just juicy in between chicks
The OP's a VAG fanboy. When I think VW, I think Roxy-stickered Jettas, not luxury cars.
Old 03-30-09, 12:13 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VS.

WTF? Seriously...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 03-30-09 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 12:26 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
yeah wtf is right. are we supposed to believe those cars are similar becuase you spent ten minutes trying to find them with similar color shades? LOL....you realize you are not teaching a pre-school class, right?......NEEEXTT!!
Oh yeah? Let's try that again...

VS.

WTF? Seriously...

The point is that you VW/Audi fanboys feel free to call the LS a XL-Camry but when other people start calling the A8 as a XL-Passat, DON'T B***H!

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 03-30-09 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 12:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Oh yeah? Let's try that again...

nein. THIS is a true German car, not a inspiration for Honda:

Old 03-30-09, 12:49 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

The point is that you VW/Audi fanboys feel free to call the LS a XL-Camry but when other people start calling the A8 as a XL-Passat, DON'T B***H!
No, you have no point. This statement doesn't even make any logical sense and sounds like an angry rant more than anything. The fact that all this makes you so "angry" is beyond anything I can comprehend. It's just a discussion forum for cars, I'm not insulting your mother.

If you want to discuss this, the comparison of the styling of a fifth generation Passat designed in 1996 to the current Audi A8 is pretty baseless. Notice I never labeled the LS as a bloated Camry, so perhaps I am owed an apology.

again, I see no comparison, though I know in reality you know there's none either (just as there isn't any real one between a Camry / LS). Trying to make either argument is simply a cheap shot.

Last edited by FKL; 03-30-09 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-30-09, 04:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 03-30-09, 05:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

OK guys, this thread seems to have run its course. I expect that the replies are everything the OP hoped for based on his wording of the starting post and subsequent replies.