Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks for the review! I've driven the 2010 Prius and I'm still waiting for the Insight (it'll be launched in Canada on Apr 22).
You're welcome.....anytime.

What did you think of the new Prius?
Old 03-30-09, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I think he means that these Honda's are well constructed, which they are, even given the fact that cost cutting materials are being used. You can have precise assembly with hard plastics and bad assembly with expensive materials.

Bottom line, the cheaper materials used in Japanese cars will last longer and have less problems than the finer materials in a VW.
Yes. Exactly.
Old 03-30-09, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Says who? Why is the color flaking away from the leather wrapped wheel on both of my Hondas? Why does the leather discolor and start showing wear after only a year of owning the car? How about the flaking weather stripping around the window on my Accord, due to cheap plastic being used? After a years of ownership, you start noticing how cost cutting "cuts" in. Bottom line, I don't think that's a reality.
You're In CA, I see. Does your car spend any time outdoors in the CA desert areas? In summer, the CA sun can be absolutely brutal, and enough to attack almost any automotive trim or finish.

I agree the plastic trim on a lot of new cars is cheap.....Hondas are often no exception. But, IMO, you won't find better-assembled vehicles from any other manufacturer, except possibly Lexus.
Old 03-30-09, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
The only interior part of my VW Passat that wore too quickly is the steering wheel leather. A small piece of door grab wood trim wasn't fitted well. Everything else is top-notch quality in terms of materials and fitment.
I find the steering-column stalks in VWs to feel flimsy and cheap, but, yes, most of the rest of their interiors uses good parts. The new Passat's dash, however, is a little on the light/cheap side, despite wood-tone and metallic trim.

The electronics and the engine, on the other hand... epic fail. That's why I drive a Lexus (current model ES) now.

Yep. VW is notorious for electrical problems. Even fairly new ones, quite often, have bulb, socket, connector, and wiring problems.

The Insight's rear seat can be troublesome even for average-sized adults, but not so with the Fit. It passed my "sitting behind myself" test with almost 2 inches of knee room to spare, and I'm just over 6' tall. That is impressive for a subcompact. The Insight's cargo area is also severely limited by the sweeping roofline.
Yes.....totally correct. I made an issue of pointing all of that out in the review. The Fit, however, is not designed for aerodynamics like the Insight.....it has a very tall roof.

Prius? I feel that it's a step backwards, although the cheesy wheel covers on the base Insight don't impress either.
The main problem with the Prius, as I see it, is the quirky dash and controls. Other than that, it is a great little hybrid.
Old 03-30-09, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
I drove the Insight at work over the weekend. I still say the Prius is the superior car.

Also mmmarshall - while the OEM tires will be filled with nitrogen at the factory, it will be vented out at the dealer during PDI - Honda's TPMS system goes into "sleep" above 30PSI. It wakes up when it detects a moderate pressure loss.

The Prius IS a better car in some ways.....mostly under the hood, and in a slightly better ride.

I always check tire PSI manually with my gauge before a review or purchase anyway. The Insight recommends 32 front, 32 rear, with the LX-model tires.
Old 03-30-09, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Mike, another outstanding review from you as always.
Thanks.

I agree with a JLSC4 the Civic is still a better buy IMO. On a side note one thing I wish Honda would bring to the states is a Yaris 4 door sedan fighter a.k.a the Asian marketed Honda City.
The Honda currently fights the Yaris with the Fit. Both seem to be successful in the American market. The Fit (known as the "Jazz" overseas), with its tall hatch lid, is actually a lot more practical than a sedan.
Old 03-30-09, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice review, but you should have tested the EX model....MSRP is only $1500 more and you get the aluminum wheels, full iPod integration, paddle shiftes (useless IMO), CRUISE CONTROL, 6 speakers audio system (versus 4), map lights, vanity mirrors, Heated side mirrors with Integrated Turn Indicators.
I felt the LX model would appeal to those seeking the cheapest possible new hybrid with 4 doors, which was the whole point of the car's marketing in the first place. The EX model also starts to overlap with the slightly larger Civic Hybrid.

dull colors?? doesn't look so dull to me....

That wasn't a particularly accurate color chip. Google images are not always the best. Most of the U.S.-market colors are duller than that particular blue, anyway.
Old 03-30-09, 07:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall, can't wait until you get your hands on a 2010 Prius The newer Honda interiors have been a bit too busy for me. It makes it easier to activate certain features without going through a touchscreen/iDrive setup, but it's not so easy on the eyes.
Old 03-30-09, 08:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I forgot to thank you for the review ----

and to request the 2010 Prius review.....REALLY interested in this one (2G Prius will be cheaper to buy now when the 3G comes out...might get a CPO).
Old 03-30-09, 08:48 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall, can't wait until you get your hands on a 2010 Prius The newer Honda interiors have been a bit too busy for me. It makes it easier to activate certain features without going through a touchscreen/iDrive setup, but it's not so easy on the eyes.
I still think Honda interiors still keep their user friendliness, I actually like the arrangement on the new Accord.
Old 03-30-09, 08:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

No doubt they're easy to use and very functional. I just don't mind the additional menus to keep things clean on the center stack.
Old 03-30-09, 10:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That wasn't a particularly accurate color chip. Google images are not always the best. Most of the U.S.-market colors are duller than that particular blue, anyway.
they're "safe" color choices IMO (no low volume choices)

Old 03-30-09, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall, can't wait until you get your hands on a 2010 Prius
You're welcome .....and the new Prius is on my list.

I really hope the new Prius goes to a more conventional dash/control setup like on the Insight and Civic Hybrids, with the primary gauges in front of the driver, and a conventional transmission shifter instead of that little stub that sticks out of the dash. The Prius has a better hybrid powertrain than the Hondas, but I've never liked its dash.
Old 03-30-09, 11:42 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The new Prius now has a more "conventional" dash layout. I like the Prius dash myself - it's easy on the eyes and concise. I don't like the Scion/Mini/Saturn ones though - too busy or too diminutive.
Old 03-30-09, 01:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're welcome .....and the new Prius is on my list.

I really hope the new Prius goes to a more conventional dash/control setup like on the Insight and Civic Hybrids, with the primary gauges in front of the driver, and a conventional transmission shifter instead of that little stub that sticks out of the dash. The Prius has a better hybrid powertrain than the Hondas, but I've never liked its dash.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-30-09 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Honda Insight