Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia VG Flagship (now updated with new pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 08:27 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
i just noticed it looks like they copied Audi's headlights lol

honestly i find it looks more like a VW Passat CC then anything Lexus came out with. Maybe there is a few GS cues.
it's because Kia's new head designer is the guy who designed Audi for 20 years. he is turning things around. all it takes is a good design and quality.
Old 03-30-09, 08:58 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ho0n
I don't know if that is a fair statement to make. Hyundai-Kia has been on the rise as of only a half-decade or so ago, but Toyota/Honda have had maintained reputation for reliability for far longer than that. A more accurate trial would be to compare late-model representative cars from Hyundai-Kia, Toyota-Lexus, and Honda-Acura and take those 10 years subject to as similar conditions as possible.
Well, but that's my point. I don't doubt that they're making better products now then they were 10-15 years ago, but they don't have a long enough track record to actually prove this in the long term. There's short term and long term reliability. I believe their short term reliability is at the industry average or slightly above average on the most recent surveys taken. How that translates into Toyota-Honda-Nissan quality though is beyond me (let alone models from those makes on the long term scale).
Old 03-30-09, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its good for us as consumers that the korean comoanies have Lexus in the cross ahirs. It will keep Lexus on its toes and will only benefit the consumer. Lexus will nee to give us more for our money. The prestige isnt worth 20K
Old 03-30-09, 10:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
it's because Kia's new head designer is the guy who designed Audi for 20 years. he is turning things around. all it takes is a good design and quality.

it's more about design than quality.

you could take the best looking crappiest german car, and it would still sell millions.

they always say, the design is what sells the car.
with that in mind, i don't know why these car companies aren't doing more radical crap with the sheet metal.....

i didn't know the audi guy was at kia. so that's why the rear end of this kia looks so much like an audi in the spy pics. even the LED pattern is similar

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-30-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Try comparing a 10 year old Hyundai with a 10 year old Toyota or Lexus with the same mileage and see which one has held up better.
you can do that but it will have no bearing or value on buying a car made today. basically buying a new car from ANY brand is a crap shoot because reliability DOES change for ALL brands and models constantly.

mercedes made 'tank-like' cars before the mid 90s, then they built the ML junk in Alabama and seemingly all their models went down hill FAST. NOW their quality is apparently MUCH better, but if you buy a 10 year old mercedes now... good luck with that!

on reliability, at best one can only use data around the age of the vehicle being considered AND if it's the same model.

and i would never buy any vehicle model in its first year of production.
Old 03-31-09, 07:16 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and i would never buy any vehicle model in its first year of production.
Agreed. I got the 04 RX330 before I knew about the tranny issues and all those little kinks. I should have done more shopping.

Back on topic, though, Kia's design, even if it has copycat elements, is still very noteworthy. I think it's safe to say we all used to equate Hyundai-Kia design to a lot of plastic paneling and vinyl interior. If it can maintain its rising build quality with its new direction in design, then this is a vehicle that should outsell a lot of today's incumbents.

I actually want to try out a Kia Soul. Seems like a great commuter car.
Old 04-02-09, 09:09 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

The Kia VG Concept has been unveiled at the Seoul Auto Show and it looks... good. Nice for a concept? No, it's a veiled version of a V6-powered FWD flagship replacement for the Amanti.

The Kia VG will be going on sale later this year in Korea with international distribution following thereafter, including the US. The possibility of production is revealed in its believable powertrain. The VG starts off with a 194.6 inch overall length over a front-wheel-drive platform motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 good for 277 HP, which is backed up by a manumatic six speed transmission. The car wears the now-familiar Kia grille flanked by some slightly surprised-looking headlights and and surprisingly sleek bodywork. Inside, there's a mix of concept car doo-dads and actual hardware. We're expecting the general layout to be the same in the production version, but the high tech center console and gauge cluster are not likely. Kia needs to start being more careful or they'll become a respectable car maker.
*source
http://jalopnik.com/5195399/kia-vg-c...flagship-sedan
Old 04-02-09, 09:48 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

IT'S A FRICKIN AUDI!!!!!!!

FOR A KIA PRICE

omg. the world has turned upside down
Old 04-02-09, 09:57 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Seize

and some mixed TT+A# headlights:

sheet metal doesn't cost anything.
They should build the production exactly like this concept.

a slap in audi's face

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-02-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 06:07 PM
Epik151
Driver

Default Kia VG: Surprisingly Attractive

http://jalopnik.com/5195399/kia-vg-c...flagship-sedan

Old 04-02-09, 06:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a great looking car and has a much nicer shape than the little bubble cars that we usually see from KIA
Old 04-02-09, 06:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice body style, a little Jag/Lexus/BMW in the some of the design elements.
Old 04-02-09, 06:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i am surprised, looks good! not sure about the interior, but the cockpit gauges are the most intriguing (but useful) function i've seen in a car.
Old 04-02-09, 07:03 PM
Epik151
Driver

Old 04-02-09, 07:23 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-inside-2.html

Quick Reply: Kia VG Flagship (now updated with new pics)