Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia VG Flagship (now updated with new pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 07:23 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bunch of ideas inside and out cribbed from other cars but altogether still a pretty decent looking vehicle.
Old 04-02-09, 07:45 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it looks very nice. One thing for sure, it doesnt look like a typical Kia.
Old 04-02-09, 07:49 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the gauges and headunit!
Old 04-02-09, 08:10 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meowCat
All these Kia pics look like Audi R8 especially the front.

Looks like that Audi designer only knows how to design Audi cars. Kia hired the wrong person. I don't like the fact that the designer is from Audi. I want the Koreans to do the designing. They need to work on creativity. When I used to go to CCS (Center for Creative Studies, Detroit, MI) it's the creativity that counted the most, bringing lots of ideas.

i disagree. Kia can't afford to design something too original. i think Soul is enough for their attempt for originality in design.
it is too risky for them especially for their flagship. let them grow first then when they have luxury to be original than go for it. consumers won't care if their Kias looks similar to audi. it's a good thing for them, at least for now.

this will outsell current amanti by 3-4 times. it will be a home run if they stick with this design. it does look almost production ready.
Old 04-02-09, 08:20 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

wow it looks pretty good. nice job KIA
Old 04-02-09, 08:29 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Not suprisingly at all....OUTSTANDING!
Old 04-02-09, 08:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
i disagree. Kia can't afford to design something too original. i think Soul is enough for their attempt for originality in design.
it is too risky for them especially for their flagship. let them grow first then when they have luxury to be original than go for it. consumers won't care if their Kias looks similar to audi. it's a good thing for them, at least for now.

this will outsell current amanti by 3-4 times. it will be a home run if they stick with this design. it does look almost production ready.

kia's originality has sucked every since day 1

This however, is a smart move.

i wouldn't consider this car as copying other brands, since the audi guy designed it. plus, audi is now going another direction with their tail lights.

it is interesting how much emphasis there is on the console computer. They probably have the most integrated OEM mp3/digital audio player, with usb port and all.

does ANY lexus model have a usb port?
Old 04-03-09, 12:29 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

kia managed to pass mazda with their boring lineups. i don't know how much they sold Soul, but it probably didn't help them much yet. imagine kia offering an german like 'amanti' or whatever they call this. it would sell ALOT and kia will keep eating pies. with a new sorrento, and upcoming Forte coupe, Kia will make noise again and again. our perception of Kia is still cheap, value oriented, 'poorman's hyundai, but it will quickly change within 2-3 years. just like how our perception of hyundai has drastically changed in last 2-3 years.

anyway, i honestly think being original is overrated. just look at acura. their grill really is original, but it's not doing them any good. we are making fun of them everyday.
Old 04-03-09, 12:34 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

How a car looks is only part of what makes the car luxury or not.

A Kia/Hyundai is not a substitute for a Lexus (at least not at this point in the game)
Old 04-03-09, 06:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
our perception of Kia is still cheap, value oriented, 'poorman's hyundai, but it will quickly change within 2-3 years.
" poorman's hyundai " thats a good one since Hyundai is already a poorman's Toyota, what does that make Kia
Old 04-03-09, 08:44 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking vehicle.

My dad owns 08 Kia sorento that's a solid SUV. He only paid $16K for a new one after rebate and all. And it's not stripped down version either, it's an LX model.
Old 04-03-09, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Actually, I'm from north Texas.

I'm not saying these cars won't be reliable, but they will have to establish a record of reliability. I don't doubt that there are other manufactures besides Toyota and Lexus that can deliver high reliability.

Also, they will need to build a luxury dealer network to compete with the established luxury brands. Many people who drive luxury cars expect upscale dealerships with service above and beyond the norm. They expect nice loaners when their cars are in for service and comfortable and luxurious waiting areas. These things cost money. Competing brands will have to allow profit margins high enough to allow their dealers to provide this.

I welcome the competition. It will be the end users who will benefit.
They have clearly opted not to do this. But--I don't see why they "need" a seaparte dealer network.

As was debated with the Genesis, I do not think that the true target of this car is other luxury brands. I think the biggest source of new customers will be people looking at cars at our around the same price point, that see they can get much more "bang for the buck" with the Kia or Hyundai. For the price of an Avalon XLS Limited, if you can have a Genesis with more features, I think a lot of people will buy it. Same with this Kia. I just don't think it's realistic that LS and GS buyers are suddenly getting thrifty and buying a Kia or Hyundai.

And if you are coming from a Honda, Nissan, Toyota, or other non-lux brand, the Kia or Hyundai dealer network is not much of a change from what you had already.
Old 04-03-09, 10:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Whoa!!! Looks awesome. Love everything about it, maybe except for that fat shift ****

Has anyone done the PRND indictator on a **** before?
Old 04-03-09, 11:00 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

since kia is using the hyundai parts bin, i'd assume kia is now pretty reliable.

hyundai and kia finally got smart and realized that a car's sales has 90% to do with exterior styling, and 10% everything else.

a hot looking car will sell itself.

in the past, hyundai and kia were unreliable AND ugly..
Old 04-05-09, 05:44 AM
ConceptVBS

Originally Posted by JessePS
i just noticed it looks like they copied Audi's headlights lol

honestly i find it looks more like a VW Passat CC then anything Lexus came out with. Maybe there is a few GS cues.
Kia's chief designer, Peter Schreyer, used to work for VW/Audi Group before he joined Kia. He designed the Audi TT.

Quick Reply: Kia VG Flagship (now updated with new pics)