Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroits Biggest Lemons of all Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

that Pinto is da bomb....

That's because Ford management, to keep the car's empty weight below 2000 lbs and costs down, ordered it into production (against the warnings of Ford engineers), without an added frame cross-brace behind the gas tank, leaving very little, besides the thin rear bumper and some rather flimsy sheet metal, to protect the gas tank in a collision. The rest, of course, is history. Trial lawyers had a field day with this car, much of it deserved. Ford paid through the nose in damage awards.

I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits by any means, and I'm firmly opposed to excessive damage awards being slapped on corporations for questionable or frivolous reasons, but, with the Pinto's gas tank, Ford management brought most of it on themselves....they pretty much deserved what they got.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-09 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 03:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

...His Edsel was a thing of beauty in turquoise and white ....
LOL!!! 2 things that I thought I would never see in the same sentence when referring to the EDSEL!
Old 04-01-09, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
LOL!!! 2 things that I thought I would never see in the same sentence when referring to the EDSEL!
Though perhaps ugly-looking today by our standards, Edsels actually WERE considered fairly good-looking cars for their time, and more or less in tune with the typical ornate late-50's styling, except for the awkward, quirky grilles. They failed for two main reasons. First, their quirky dash and transmission controls, and, Second, the public (correctly) perceived them as little more than mildly restyled/rebadged Mercurys, and not necessarily meriting the added price. It was more or less the same thing that killed off Chrysler's De Soto a couple of years later.....the De Sotos, for more money, offered little that upmarket Plymouth and Dodge models didn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 03:36 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family's Previa made it to 250,000 miles. I guess lemon isn't the word I should be using to describe the Previa and MRS, both were reliable.

The Previa was ugly IMHO, and the MRS was just such a failure considering the MR2 MKII Turbo I used to own, I was part of the petition to bring it back and there was so much demand for a comparable car. Many in the MR2 community were very disappointed and I think that is why it didn't sell well. I couldn't test drive it because I couldn't even get my knees into the car thats how small they made it, they got rid of the trunk, they got rid of the turbos, they got rid of so much and came away with a really disappointment to MKII owners.

The RX7 = lemon speaks for itself...

my real point is, there have been tons of US lemons, and very few true Japaneese lemons (zero?)
Old 04-01-09, 03:52 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My mom has a 98 Town & Country, bought it brand new, it hasn't had many problems other then poor fuel efficiency.
Old 04-01-09, 04:20 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
tell this guy his car is a P.O.S.

haha, I saw that episode of Rob and Big when they gave away the car in a skate competition...
Old 04-01-09, 04:53 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toy4two
My family's Previa made it to 250,000 miles. I guess lemon isn't the word I should be using to describe the Previa
We had ours for 13 years, 105,000 miles. Subaru gave us $3000 for it as it had AWD. My Legacy has a 108,000 on the clock and has been a bit more reliable.
Old 04-01-09, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
My mom has a 98 Town & Country, bought it brand new, it hasn't had many problems other then poor fuel efficiency.
Keep a close eye and feel for how the transmission engages and shifts. At the first sign of delay, sluggishness or trouble, take it in ASAP, even if it is 11 years old and out of warranty. Chrysler minivans are notorious for transmission problems and premature failure of the clutches, especially if the wrong fluid is used.
Old 04-01-09, 06:16 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
These cars were around when I was a kid and thats why I HATE American cars as an adult. The list is just the worse. Believe me that there were hunders more that barely missed the list. American cars of that era ( 70's -80's) are mostly ugly, inefficient, unreliable trash.
I believe more accurately it began in 1973 when our government forced the automakers to install 5 mph bumpers & pollution control devices prior to 1973 GM cars were the standard of the world
Old 04-01-09, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I believe more accurately it began in 1973 when our government forced the automakers to install 5 mph bumpers & pollution control devices prior to 1973 GM cars were the standard of the world
Significant emission controls (retarded timing, hotter thermostats, hotter-range spark plugs, low-lead gas, etc...) started in 1971, although the air-pumps first were installed in 1968. By 1975, catalytic converters and totally lead-free gas were the norm.

The 5-MPH bumpers, though somewhat ugly and awkward-looking, were pretty effective in minimizing low-speed impact damage.....I'd say it was one of the better things to come out of that decade. The standard was rolled back to 2 1/2 MPH in the 1980's....I was opposed to that.
Old 04-01-09, 07:34 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I was going down the list and I was hoping he had not forgotten the all might Pontiac Aztek..... Then there it was!!

I would like to add a few...

1) Buick Reatta.... what a POS!! It actually has a light that stated 'Halogen Light on' when you turned the headlights on!!
2) Cadillac Alante.... Not bad looking but certainly not a worthy competitor to the Benz SL at that time!!
3)Chevy Uplander, Buick Terranaza, Saturn look alike..... Ohh boy, what the hell was GM thinking when they actually gave it the go ahead for production!!
- #3 was rated the worst family mover in the entire automotive history!!

Now they blame it on the economy for not doing good!!
Old 04-02-09, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
I was going down the list and I was hoping he had not forgotten the all might Pontiac Aztek..... Then there it was!!
The Aztek, under the skin, was actually not that bad a vehicle. It was somewhat unreliable, like many other GM vehicles, but it was the Aztek's ugly front and rear ends that killed it, not the mechanicals.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 08:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I'm not fan of Chrysler, or its minivans. Anywhere you read, the Odyssey and Sienna are currently head and shoulders above it.

But--Chrysler's been spitting those things out for a quarter of a century, and for the bulk of the 90s, who produced a minivan that was definitively better? Chevy Venture APV? Ford Windstar? Mazda MPV? The Sienna didn't come around in the late 90s, and I can't believe the original Odyssey without the sliding doors was a better mini van.

You can't just put the Chrysler minivan on this list solely due to that legendary Chrysler reliability and quality--it just does not belong on that list.
Old 04-02-09, 08:45 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

GM Executive leadership 2000-???= EPIC FAIL
Old 04-02-09, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GM Executive leadership 2000-???= EPIC FAIL
Agreed, this disaster of a corporate meltdown did not happen overnight, it took years of mismanagement and repeated bad decisions.

Quick Reply: Detroits Biggest Lemons of all Time