Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroits Biggest Lemons of all Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I honestly wonder if there's really any hope for American car companies for 20 years of their mistakes.

Detroit is producing some nice, well-built, competitive products today, particularly in the Ford and GM mid-size sedan lines, but they have been a long time in coming.....too long, IMO.
Old 04-04-09, 08:06 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen a Japanese named vehicle whether built in Japan or America function poorly or get labelled a lemon but I was around a few American ones 1976 AMC Pacer 1) Engine stalled due to power steering loading the engine which locked the wheel in a turned position. 2) very hard to get parts for. 1974 Chevy Nova 1) Brakes were an afterthought dry day 55 MPH needed 2000 foot to stop wet day instantanious lockup and sliding around. Recalled for brakes after I wrecked it. 2) Rear wheels steered vehicle on occasion 3) Unsafe on a windy day. The wind picked up the rear of car dropped in next lane with me facing bridge gaurd rail. 4) Steering was horrible. 5) when foot was on brake you had no steering control at all.6) Tuned it up three times in the year I had it in 7,000 miles. 7) engine was rebuilt also in that time.
The Pacer was my wifes car in 1982 Will add parts were hard to get Pacer took months to get a fly wheel. Nova six weeks to get parts out of GM.
Old 04-04-09, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I have never seen a Japanese named vehicle whether built in Japan or America function poorly or get labelled a lemon

Don't kid yourself. There have been some very unreliable Japanese vehicles, too. The 80's-vintage Mitsubishi Precis, Japanese-designed and built, was one of the most classic examples.....it was rebadged as the terrible Hyundai Excel. The rotary engine in the Mazda RX-7 was troublesome during the same period. Some Nissan products between 2000 and 2005 were also poorly-built and unreliable.