Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of ZR1 & GM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 04:36 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V6 Corvette, I think hell will freeze over before that happens. The Corvette history is not like other cars, were engines can flip flop, like the mustang. The first Corvette built in 1953 had a V8, all Corvettes will have V8's, anything else being big(V!2, V10, or smaller(V6), is unacceptable. What may happen is a lower horspower V8, like the Vettes in the late 70's and early 80's, but it will non the less be a V8.
Old 04-02-09, 05:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The '53 Corvette had a straight 6 cylinder engine.

I believe the '54 did too, with a V8 coming in '55
Old 04-02-09, 05:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The '53 Corvette had a straight 6 cylinder engine.

I believe the '54 did too, with a V8 coming in '55
yep BLUE FLAME...

When introduced in 1953, the Corvette featured the "Blue Flame" six cylinder engine. This is not as the Chevrolet engineering team wanted things, but they had no choice. Although other GM marques featured V8 motors they were not willing to share; a very different situation compared to years later when various divisions would feature the same powerplants. It was renowned for reliability but with a rating of 105 HP, performance and sportiness was not included. The engineering staff responded with the usual engine upgrade methods. A more radical camshaft rubbing on solid lifters, dual valve springs, and a higher compression ratio cylinder head (8.0:1; previous was 7.5:1) all contributed to the effort. The largest gain was achieved via an upgrade to the induction system (right). Three Carter type YH sidedraft carburetors featuring "bullet" air cleaners with an aluminum manifold were incorporated and the output soared to 150 bhp at 4,500 RPM.

Old 04-02-09, 05:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the Blue Flame info.

For the life of me I couldn't remember what they called it. A very 50's sounding name, kinda like the Rocket 88 in Oldsmobiles.
Old 04-02-09, 05:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
V6 Corvette, I think hell will freeze over before that happens. The Corvette history is not like other cars, were engines can flip flop, like the mustang. The first Corvette built in 1953 had a V8, all Corvettes will have V8's, anything else being big(V!2, V10, or smaller(V6), is unacceptable. What may happen is a lower horspower V8, like the Vettes in the late 70's and early 80's, but it will non the less be a V8.

as stated above it all began with a 6 cyliner motor....

and BTW the 911 seems to do just fine with a 6 cylinder powerplant...

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- 3,596 cc 3.6 liters horizontal 6 rear engine with 96.0 mm bore, 82.8 mm stroke, 11.3 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
- Premium unleaded fuel 91
- Gasoline direct injection fuel system
- 16.9 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank 14.1
- Power: 257 kW , 345 HP SAE and 288 ft lb , 390 Nm
Old 04-02-09, 05:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

OOOOOHHH poor GM they will have to make power the smart way instead of using stupid brute strength and size that the american car companies know so well . Its the only way they know how to make sports cars..... not for long. In stead of the lame " add a liter" attitude they will need to turn to tubos with direct injection. I love the Z06 and the ZR1 for what they are.... pure sports car monsters that resemble big stupid oafish football players. Porsche and Nissan make almost the same power with half the engine size and/or turbo. They remind me more of olympic atheletes/ track stars. Lean and fast.
Old 04-02-09, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
OOOOOHHH poor GM they will have to make power the smart way instead of using stupid brute strength and size that the american car companies know so well . Its the only way they know how to make sports cars..... not for long. In stead of the lame " add a liter" attitude they will need to turn to tubos with direct injection. I love the Z06 and the ZR1 for what they are.... pure sports car monsters that resemble big stupid oafish football players. Porsche and Nissan make almost the same power with half the engine size and/or turbo. They remind me more of olympic atheletes/ track stars. Lean and fast.
True, but how long will those smaller, turbo engines run without problems? Making 400-600 ft-lbs. of torque, they have far more stress, per cylinder, put on them than a big Chevy 6 or 7-liter V8 block. Even with supercharging, like on the ZR-1, the big Chevy V8s probably have far less stress on them than the much smaller Porsche turbo flat-sixes, which typically don't go much over 4 liters.
Old 04-02-09, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep BLUE FLAME...

When introduced in 1953, the Corvette featured the "Blue Flame" six cylinder engine. This is not as the Chevrolet engineering team wanted things, but they had no choice. Although other GM marques featured V8 motors they were not willing to share; a very different situation compared to years later when various divisions would feature the same powerplants. It was renowned for reliability but with a rating of 105 HP, performance and sportiness was not included. The engineering staff responded with the usual engine upgrade methods. A more radical camshaft rubbing on solid lifters, dual valve springs, and a higher compression ratio cylinder head (8.0:1; previous was 7.5:1) all contributed to the effort. The largest gain was achieved via an upgrade to the induction system (right). Three Carter type YH sidedraft carburetors featuring "bullet" air cleaners with an aluminum manifold were incorporated and the output soared to 150 bhp at 4,500 RPM.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the early Vettes used only a two-speed automatic, with no manual (no, I'm not kidding). Three and four-speed manuals didn't come till later in the 50s.
Old 04-02-09, 07:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And if that wasn't bad enough, the early Vettes used only a two-speed automatic, with no manual (no, I'm not kidding). Three and four-speed manuals didn't come till later in the 50s.
The good old Power Glide...
Old 04-03-09, 07:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good old Power Glide...
Did that have push buttons on the dash?
Old 04-03-09, 08:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Did that have push buttons on the dash?
No, that was Chrysler Corp's Torque Flite (or something like that) with the push buttons on the dash. Edsel had the push buttons on the steering wheel hub. Sadly, I remember those things.
Old 04-03-09, 09:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that was Chrysler Corp's Torque Flite (or something like that) with the push buttons on the dash. Edsel had the push buttons on the steering wheel hub. Sadly, I remember those things.
Oh, sadly I also remember seeing those pushbuttons.......
Old 04-03-09, 09:30 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
3. Corvette WILL remain but drastically different.. can you say V-6?
A V6 is possible as a base motor.. 300+ horsepower, light weight, not a bad idea at all, really, other than for image.
But there's no way they're going to go without a V8 at all for the next gen.

8. 669 2009 ZR-1s have been built, unknown if remaining 331 will EVER be built
It seems very strange to me that they wouldn't build 331 cars that they're already tooled up to build and know they can sell for a huge profit with no effort at all.

Last edited by Threxx; 04-03-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 09:34 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Can they get the weight below 3000 lbs.?
Perhaps with a smaller V8.
Old 04-03-09, 09:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Please explain to me why higher displacement OHV is such a bad thing... using facts, not just generalizations and adjectives.

The Vette offers huge amounts of power, an extremely usable/flat/monsterous torque curve, great reliability, very good fuel mileage, low engine weight, low engine cost of production, it can be opened up and repaired or modified without a degree in rocket science, it has fairly compact dimensions, etc...

If anything I think the LSx series of V8s from GM makes all of these complicated small displacement motors look kinda silly for trying to hard and ending up almost right back where they left off.

Quick Reply: Future of ZR1 & GM