Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of ZR1 & GM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 08:42 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future of ZR1 & GM

First of all, this is STRICTLY opinion coming from my GM dealership General Manager et al. BUT the guy does have 20+years w/ GM, predicted Camaro WOULD come to market and sells the second highest volume of Corvettes for any dealer in the US. In my conversation(s) with he and others this morning:

1. ZR-1 prices are NOT coming down, still $140K-$150K... because...
2. It is a collector's item... BO is almost certain to kill it shortly
3. Corvette WILL remain but drastically different.. can you say V-6?
3. GM WILL go into Chapter 11
4. "Large" dealerships will operate as same, whether sales or service
5. They got KILLED in March on sales
6. Rick HAD to go, but was done VERY poorly
7. NO plans to build 2010 ZR-1
8. 669 2009 ZR-1s have been built, unknown if remaining 331 will EVER be built

All in all, about what I expected, just more confirmation and expectations, albeit better placed...
Old 04-02-09, 09:25 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think Corvette should retain its V8, but a smaller V8 could get the job done. A well engineered 5.0L could reduce fuel consumption without sacraficing the elements that make a Corvette a Corvette.
Old 04-02-09, 10:41 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the power that they put out, LSx are not gas guzzlers. GM is not in this position b/c Corvette is/was not more fuel efficient. Leave the Corvettes alone. It's one of the cars that GM make that people actually will buy even without stupid employee discounts. It's gonna be more costly - and frankly GM doesn't have any money left - to design/engineer smaller displacement V8 vs leaving current LSx engines where they belong. Now go fix the executive compensation/bonuses, union contracts, and discounts to bond/preferred shareholders.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think Corvette should retain its V8, but a smaller V8 could get the job done. A well engineered 5.0L could reduce fuel consumption without sacraficing the elements that make a Corvette a Corvette.
Old 04-02-09, 10:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If GM goes under, I will surely grab a Z06 or CTS-V.. I must have a Vette in my driveway before I leave this planet.
Old 04-02-09, 10:57 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $ per performance, C6-Z06 is definitely on a league on its own.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
If GM goes under, I will surely grab a Z06 or CTS-V.. I must have a Vette in my driveway before I leave this planet.
Old 04-02-09, 11:14 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I agree. I fully planned on picking up a Camaro, but was holding out for the Z28. I may just have to buy an SS with the modified corvette V8 and hold on to it, as it may not be around for much longer.

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
For $ per performance, C6-Z06 is definitely on a league on its own.
The Z06 is in a league of its own as far as under $100K sports cars are concerned and driving/owning one is simply marvelous! [Eh hem...DAWG]
Old 04-02-09, 11:30 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
....The Z06 is in a league of its own as far as under $100K sports cars are concerned and driving/owning one is simply marvelous! [Eh hem...DAWG]
Oh YEAH BABY!!!!

I'm putting the "O" back in Z06!!!
Old 04-02-09, 12:16 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They need to focus on smaller and efficient cars. That is all.
Old 04-02-09, 12:32 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I was wondering about the collectability of the ZR-1.. Sounds like the value of the car has only one way to go. especially with under 1k being built. Sounds like the American Enzo formula.

If you check out Jay Leno's garage online, he claims to have chasis # 00001. So it sounds like he may have made a very good use of his connections to get his ZR-1.
Old 04-02-09, 12:38 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
I was wondering about the collectability of the ZR-1.. Sounds like the value of the car has only one way to go. especially with under 1k being built. Sounds like the American Enzo formula.

If you check out Jay Leno's garage online, he claims to have chasis # 00001. So it sounds like he may have made a very good use of his connections to get his ZR-1.
I saw #0006, was Velocity Red, "pre-production" with 9,600 miles a guy about 25 miles away bought sight unseen for $150K back in January. They had it in service for inspection, my guy fired it up... standing to the side, my pants were vibrating!! If I had the $$$, I would POUNCE on one...
Old 04-02-09, 12:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

buy your C6 / Z06 / ZR1 now!! the warranty will be covered no matter what happens to GM, so what do you have to lose (except about $50K+). Dealers are taking $10K off 1LT's and $13K off Z06's.

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep mine (hopefully forever!), but it is the best driving/handling/quickest/most fun car I've ever owned.
Old 04-02-09, 12:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
For the power that they put out, LSx are not gas guzzlers. GM is not in this position b/c Corvette is/was not more fuel efficient. Leave the Corvettes alone. It's one of the cars that GM make that people actually will buy even without stupid employee discounts. It's gonna be more costly - and frankly GM doesn't have any money left - to design/engineer smaller displacement V8 vs leaving current LSx engines where they belong. Now go fix the executive compensation/bonuses, union contracts, and discounts to bond/preferred shareholders.
Like it or not they have been discussing plans to reduce the size of the Corvette engines as it will benefit other vehicles, the CTS-V for example. Just because it is smaller it doesn't mean it will be less potent. Furthermore, GM already said that they plan to reduce the weight of the Corvette. Where you take it from I don't know. But more power to them for doing so.
Old 04-02-09, 12:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Like it or not they have been discussing plans to reduce the size of the Corvette engines as it will benefit other vehicles, the CTS-V for example. Just because it is smaller it doesn't mean it will be less potent. Furthermore, GM already said that they plan to reduce the weight of the Corvette. Where you take it from I don't know. But more power to them for doing so.

I'm all for a more lean vette

I would even go for a GS450h type drivetrain.
Old 04-02-09, 01:20 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'm all for a more lean vette

I would even go for a GS450h type drivetrain.
Can they get the weight below 3000 lbs.?
Old 04-02-09, 01:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Can they get the weight below 3000 lbs.?
not with the GS450h powertrain, but I think it could easily come in under 3000 lbs if you took the existing car and downsized it (its not a small car now)

I believe the Z06 is about 3250 lbs, right?

Quick Reply: Future of ZR1 & GM