Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 Cars That Need Makeovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 01:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO many of these cars are so ugly, that a refresh or makeover won't do the job.
Old 04-02-09, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Too much, IMO, here is being made of "image" and styling. I personally don't think that any of the vehicles on that list are truly ugly. And, as for the phrase that automotive experts determined what the cars on this list would be...just WHO are these so-called "Experts", and what makes them worthy of the title? Tell us. Article after article, in the automotive press, talks about "experts". Well, then, tell us who these experts ARE and why (?) their opinion is more important than anyone else's. We've got people, right here on CAR CHAT, (1SICKLEX and IS-SV are good examples) with more automotive knowledge than some of the auto journalists who write stuff in newspapers and magazines. Of course, Consumer Reports IS considered a true expert, with reason, on auto reliability, but that's a long way from just general styling.

But, then, back to the issue of styling. The way I see it, what is under a vehicle's skin, and how a vehicle performs, is far more important than how the skin itself looks. It is this obsession with so-called "up to date", "contemporary", and "trendy" styling that throws so many people off from what is really important in a vehcle.....and keeps them trying to keep up with the Joneses.

BTW....I consider the Kia Amanti a nice, classy, comfortable, smooth-riding sedan at a good price. I happen to like its looks as well as its mechanicals. More cars need to be built like that today....too many sedans today are now sport/handling-obsessed, with little thought to smooth ride comfort.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 08:04 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they forgot to include the Acura TL and RL. I think the 1-Series and WRX should not be included as their styling looks fine to me. The new Toyota Sequoia and Land Cruisers are not a very attractive cars either imo. The whole Lincoln line excluding the MKS can be redone, none of their cars are attractive at all.
Old 04-02-09, 08:34 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The whole Acura line needs to be redesigned.

The Kia Amanti looks like it was designed by the old Soviet Union; it makes the Acura TL look beautiful.
Old 04-03-09, 12:16 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Source: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...NtYWtlb3ZlcnM-

ffpowerLN says: Umm... Where's the Acura TL?
'Makeover' implies there's something usable to work with ... there's nothing worth saving on the current TL
Old 04-03-09, 05:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
The whole Acura line needs to be redesigned.

The Kia Amanti looks like it was designed by the old Soviet Union; it makes the Acura TL look beautiful.
I agree. Before the recent freshening it looked even worse.
Old 04-03-09, 06:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Mercury Grand Marquis needs a bit more than a makeover--how about a scrapping?
Old 04-03-09, 06:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
'Makeover' implies there's something usable to work with ... there's nothing worth saving on the current TL
Now that I've seen a few in person, I totally disagree (at least as to exterior). Put a normal grill on it, and remove all the britework "do-dads" from the trunk and front end and it will be as inoffensive as it ever was before.
Old 04-03-09, 06:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When will BMW learn, they already tried a small compact design years ago and fail. The 1 series is a joke.
Old 04-03-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
When will BMW learn, they already tried a small compact design years ago and fail. The 1 series is a joke.
Yeah they've made some even uglier than the 1 series.
Old 04-03-09, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1

What's ugly about it? It's got a classy-looking, Jag/Mercedes-type front end and a Town Car-esque rear end. While it may be somewhat copycat, I'll admit, I don't see anything ugly about it. Of course, styling is a matter of individual taste.

The Amanti also has something that is increasingly difficult to come by these days....ride comfort.
Old 04-03-09, 11:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's ugly about it? It's got a classy-looking, Jag/Mercedes-type front end and a Town Car-esque rear end. While it may be somewhat copycat, I'll admit, I don't see anything ugly about it. Of course, styling is a matter of individual taste.

The Amanti also has something that is increasingly difficult to come by these days....ride comfort.
I'm with madmax on this one--I don't see one thing that's attractive about the Amanti.
Old 04-03-09, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm with madmax on this one--I don't see one thing that's attractive about the Amanti.
Although I liked Max Max and Road Warrior movies, I do not like the way the Amanti looks. IMHO it's not attractive.
Old 04-03-09, 01:17 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Really? Let's hear some good reasons why this car is a "joke".
Old 04-03-09, 01:23 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 series is okay, 3 series needs the makeover.

Quick Reply: 6 Cars That Need Makeovers