Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 Cars That Need Makeovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 01:29 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When BMW sold the 316ti Compact in North America, the market first of all wasn't ripe and ready enough to accept it and the vehicle was also marketed in the wrong way. Furthermore that 4 cylinder engine was unresponsive, slow and gutless. The car, according to most reviews, did handle like a BMW should, but where's the fun when the engine isn't up to BMW standards?

I agree that the Compact should have been kept in Europe, but the 1 series coupe is a completely different car and concept from the Compact and far from a joke in my book. Everytime I see one I turn my head and give it a long glance, because I do find it attractive and most reviews praise its driving dynamics. It's a true BMW at heart, unlike the 316ti Compact - that car was the joke.
Old 04-03-09, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd say the new Acura sedan lineup needs a make over. The large chrome bar makes them look like Saturns.
Old 04-03-09, 02:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's ugly about it? It's got a classy-looking, Jag/Mercedes-type front end and a Town Car-esque rear end. While it may be somewhat copycat, I'll admit, I don't see anything ugly about it. Of course, styling is a matter of individual taste.

The Amanti also has something that is increasingly difficult to come by these days....ride comfort.
Yes, styling is a very subjective area. I prefer the looks of the Amanti's cousin the Azera. Neither one is setting the world on fire from a sales perspective. Which makes you wonder if either will be around much longer as Hyundai and Kia expand their model lineups.
Old 04-03-09, 04:11 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV
When BMW sold the 316ti Compact in North America, the market first of all wasn't ripe and ready enough to accept it and the vehicle was also marketed in the wrong way. Furthermore that 4 cylinder engine was unresponsive, slow and gutless. The car, according to most reviews, did handle like a BMW should, but where's the fun when the engine isn't up to BMW standards?

I agree that the Compact should have been kept in Europe, but the 1 series coupe is a completely different car and concept from the Compact and far from a joke in my book. Everytime I see one I turn my head and give it a long glance, because I do find it attractive and most reviews praise its driving dynamics. It's a true BMW at heart, unlike the 316ti Compact - that car was the joke.
Do you mean the 318ti? If so, then it shared the same 1.8-9 engine as the 318i, which was also being sold in coupe and sedan form at the time. This means that the engine was no slower or less responsive than its counterparts. In fact, since the ti was smaller, you can argue that it was more agile and responsive. My family owned both the 318i and the 318ti.

Nevertheless, IMO the 1 series is not a completely different concept than the ti. The idea is quite the same, actually. Take a 3 series, make it smaller, keep the same dynamics, and charge an arm and a leg for it. This time they called it a 1 instead of the Ti. It's more attractive because they brought the coupe instead of a semi-hatchback.

Every time I see one I also glance at it, but for different reasons. The proportions on that car is just totally out of whack, and it's one of the ugliest BMWs I've ever seen, far worse than the 318ti. It's like they stuck with a e46 and made it more bubbly. For it's size, it's also not noticeably lighter nor a significantly better performer, which is really the only reason you would overlook its ugliness and price point.
Old 04-03-09, 09:56 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I think the current WRX is the best looking WRX.
Old 04-03-09, 10:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
The Mercury Grand Marquis needs a bit more than a makeover--how about a scrapping?
Noooooo...if they scrap it, how do we pick out the cops from a distance.

Originally Posted by The G Man
When will BMW learn, they already tried a small compact design years ago and fail. The 1 series is a joke.
Originally Posted by Rashoodz
1 series is okay, 3 series needs the makeover.
I agree. The 1 series isn't that bad. With 14 different 3 series available, including the M up here, why not maybe differentiate them a bit more?

Even if they made just the 335's and M's a bit more aggressive you could still cater to your conservative 323/328 drivers and appease the true enthusiasts.
Old 04-04-09, 06:48 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

So we've determined what we've always known. That everyone sees a car's styling with a different opinion.

All the cars that have been determined to be ugly have found tens of thousands of buyers who liked or even loved the design. Those designs were loved by it's designer and the company that approved the huge investment.

We can continue to offer our opinions about car design, but in the end they're just opinions.

And these so called auto experts opinions aren't worth more than anyone else's because styling is completely subjective and you don't get trained to judge how a car looks.

Design tastes also vary greatly depending on culture/country. Most Americans would probably say that many of the cars available in some European or other eastern areas (not US) are as ugly as sin but apparently they like them.

In the end I think we argue back and forth about design too much and it doesn't conclude anything. That said, let the debate live on, that's what Car Chat is for. Let's just understand that we'll never agree.

Old 04-04-09, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's new, styling is subjective, unlike instrumented testing for example.

But leading automotive companies know from experience that an attractive design enhances sales volume.
Old 04-04-09, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
So we've determined what we've always known. That everyone sees a car's styling with a different opinion.

All the cars that have been determined to be ugly have found tens of thousands of buyers who liked or even loved the design. Those designs were loved by it's designer and the company that approved the huge investment.
Yep.....and don't forget, if you think a car is ugly, someone else may find it attractive.

I remember several years ago (2003 or 2004, I think), at a Pontiac-GMC dealership, I was helping my ex-supervisor shop for a new GMC Yukon XL (a big, Chevy Suburban twin)...he and his family tow a fairly heavy trailer and need a vehicle like that.

While I was outside looking over/inspecting the vehicle for him and making sure it had no problems, I saw a young couple drive in, get out, start looking at some Azteks, and appear to fall in love with them. After I had finished test-driving the Yukon XL (which my ex-supervisor bought, BTW), we came back in and found the young couple with a salesman in the booth right next to ours.....yep, doing the paperwork for a white Aztek. They took it home a short time later. When the couple were gone and out of earshot, I looked at the salesman who just sold them the Aztek and said to him "You sure lucked out today.....making a sale like that. How often does THAT happen......somebody fall in love with an Aztek?" He chuckled, winked an eye at me , and said "You're right".
Old 04-05-09, 01:44 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
ffpowerLN says: Umm... Where's the Acura TL?
i believe the judges gave up on the TL already and just didnt bother to count it in

LOL
Old 04-05-09, 09:27 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i believe the judges gave up on the TL already and just didnt bother to count it in

LOL
No, it's because the TL is a brilliant design. Many people just don't know it yet, "but your kid's are gonna love it"! ("Back to the Future" ).

Seriously though, I think the TL is one of the better looking car's available. I'd kill for and AWD Tech!
Old 04-05-09, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Seriously though, I think the TL is one of the better looking car's available. I'd kill for and AWD Tech!
Not that there is anything really wrong with the TL, but look at the RL, especially the fit/finish, interior, hardware, and door solidness, and, notwithstanding the silly-looking grilles on both cars, you probably won't be so thrilled with the TL in comparison.
Old 04-05-09, 03:34 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's ugly about it? It's got a classy-looking, Jag/Mercedes-type front end and a Town Car-esque rear end. While it may be somewhat copycat, I'll admit, I don't see anything ugly about it. Of course, styling is a matter of individual taste.

The Amanti also has something that is increasingly difficult to come by these days....ride comfort.
This one ugly car

Its a mish mash of styling cues from the mentioned brands, mixed into this strange looking thing...

I never drove one, but styling wise its just bad.
Old 04-05-09, 05:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Lexus SC needs a refresh as bad as the economy. The 1 seies I have to admit I was never a big fan of
Old 04-05-09, 05:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IsraelRX
This one ugly car

Its a mish mash of styling cues from the mentioned brands, mixed into this strange looking thing...

I never drove one, but styling wise its just bad.
The car buying public agrees. They sell just a handful of them each month, although sales have increased (to a larger handful) since the refresh.

Quick Reply: 6 Cars That Need Makeovers