Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German Brands, Japanese Parts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 01:00 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default German Brands, Japanese Parts!

I was Googling for factory Denso or NGK spark plugs for our RX and found some interesting hits below.

I guess when it comes to REAL performance and reliability, the same parts that make up our Lexus are silently making their way over to the German marquees.

'Nuff said.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...-2001-e55.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...ou-prefer.html

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-11005.html

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/vendor...ark-plugs.html

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/c32...ik16-ik20.html

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=561041

http://www.bmwpsi.com/article7/feature.php

Last edited by whitels; 04-06-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 02:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

??

It depends on the part. You have Japanese manufacturers using German parts also, and some of them are damn reliable and are geared for performance.
Old 04-06-09, 04:00 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denso has always been a supplier for German manufactures...I don't see what's the big deal. Bosch make stuff for American cars too...
Old 04-06-09, 04:52 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
??

It depends on the part. You have Japanese manufacturers using German parts also, and some of them are damn reliable and are geared for performance.
Of course! But just for the heck of it, can you give an example?
Old 04-06-09, 04:58 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Denso has always been a supplier for German manufactures...I don't see what's the big deal. Bosch make stuff for American cars too...
You don't see the big deal? Well there's really no big deal. And that's how we Lexus owners generally seem to think. Except that there's quite a few German car owners that have this notion that Japanese cars are not "up to" their "legendary German engineering".

The parts make up the car. And so next time I hear another bimmer or benz owner put down my "Toyota", I'll say, "what's under your hood, sir?"
Old 04-06-09, 05:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a spark plug?

that's it?

until the japanese can come with a dual clutch transmission, there's no contest.
denso, aisin, whatever.
Old 04-06-09, 05:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by whitels
Of course! But just for the heck of it, can you give an example?
V160 Getrag 6spd transmission from the Toyota Supra TT. It is one of the most indestructible manual transmission in this day and age. It'll man-handle anything Toyota/Aisin has ever offered for their production cars.
Old 04-06-09, 05:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't even know why toyota bothers with aisin anymore
just look at the junk in the ES350...

the german transmissions are clearly superior. If lexus put dual clutch with paddle shifters in all its cars, win for everybody

so let's put it this way. the japanese have better electrical? engineering.
and the germans have better mechanical engineering

although lexus is less prone to electrical failure, lexus suffers from breakage of simple parts like side view mirror gears, like in the current GS. those stupid mirrors seem to break a lot for gs owners here

germans and japanese should work together. Lexus + pdk = ownage

Last edited by GFerg; 04-06-09 at 10:18 PM. Reason: derogatory term used
Old 04-06-09, 05:43 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
a spark plug?

that's it?

until the japanese can come with a dual clutch transmission, there's no contest.
denso, aisin, whatever.
Yes, a better spark plug. As simple as that. Don't leave home without it, or you'll have engine misfire

Dual clutch trans? The 2009 Dodge Avenger overseas is already equipped with this, built here in Indiana. It was co-developed with Getrag.

What about the Aisin-built 8-speed auto trans with less moving parts than a 5-speed, more compact, and 17% more efficient?

We can go on and on and on and it won't end. The whole point of this is simply to address the German car purists who like to bash our "Toyotas". Get the point?
Old 04-06-09, 06:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

What about the Aisin-built 8-speed auto trans with less moving parts than a 5-speed, more compact, and 17% more efficient?

That's not Aisin-exclusive...That's just engineering. There will always be an improvement to designs.
Old 04-06-09, 11:38 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a better spark plug. As simple as that. Don't leave home without it, or you'll have engine misfire

Dual clutch trans? The 2009 Dodge Avenger overseas is already equipped with this, built here in Indiana. It was co-developed with Getrag.

We can go on and on and on and it won't end. The whole point of this is simply to address the German car purists who like to bash our "Toyotas". Get the point?
...So you're admitting that there is no basis to what you're trying to sell....ok, whatever helps you feel better against those "rude European Snobs".
Old 04-07-09, 06:07 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the engineering and fine detail put into the Japanese engineering is insane. then again, the Germans sure make a helluva car.

I'm Japanese but I'm not biased. Both make wonderful cars, just different.

and to contradict the OP's point, the Mazda Atenza used Bosch direct injectors on their diesel engines IIRC. I mean, in this world of economy, you really can't make a point like that...Ford owns Mazda, Daimler has an alliance with MMC, Germans use Denso, Japanese use Bosch.
Old 04-07-09, 06:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Checked the factory HIDs in your Lexus lately? Philips/Osram is a German company.. Funny thread by the way
Old 04-07-09, 07:58 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i don't even know why toyota bothers with aisin anymore
just look at the junk in the ES350...

the german transmissions are clearly superior. If lexus put dual clutch with paddle shifters in all its cars, win for everybody

so let's put it this way. the japanese have better electrical? engineering.
and the germans have better mechanical engineering

although lexus is less prone to electrical failure, lexus suffers from breakage of simple parts like side view mirror gears, like in the current GS. those stupid mirrors seem to break a lot for gs owners here

germans and japanese should work together. Lexus + pdk = ownage
I'd still trust a Aisin tranny than a Honda tranny that can barely handle the torque from a K24 or J30/J32/J35 any day. I believe they've fixed the issues in the newer ones. ZF can't make a tranny to save their lives - the ones in BMW and VWs fail thanks to their "sealed for life" design, the Ford and Chevy truck guys had to replace ones that are bolted behind a Power Stroke or Duramax Diesel.

Bosch supplies Toyota with braking systems parts - they bought out Bendix's OEM division from Honeywell a few years ago. Ditto with ATE. Toyota also buys hood shocks from Stabilus, a German firm. Honda is using ATE and Bosch parts in their braking systems too - the Accord, Civic, Pilot/RidgeLine and Odyssey use Valeo or Siemens VDO key/remotes and immobilizers as well. Valeo is a French company.

Mercedes has been using Denso parts for years - they've been using Denso smog pumps in the 80s instead of the American-made Delco ones in the 70s. They've also used Denso AC compressors in the mid-80s from GM Harrison ones.

Last edited by nthach; 04-07-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 08:02 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Checked the factory HIDs in your Lexus lately? Philips/Osram is a German company.. Funny thread by the way
Philips and Osram/Sylvania are different - Philips is in the Netherlands

Quick Reply: German Brands, Japanese Parts!