Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the "daily beater" appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 11:57 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Celsior (LS430) is my beater, but I drive the LS600 most days.
Old 04-09-09, 08:20 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

let me contribute to the beater.....
Old 04-09-09, 08:32 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The OP suggested that "most" of us don't drive our Lexus daily. Why wouldn't we, and why have a Lexus? [...]
I think the reality is that most people use their Lexus either exclusively as their only car or at least most of the time.
Agreed, the topic got me, too. I specifically bought the IS because it would be a comfortable 'beater', versus my other car. Its not completely detached from performance, but its an obvious nod towards something more practical for my daily driving needs.
Old 04-09-09, 09:59 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 accord for the winter...Chicago winter would rape my GS Plus the potholes here are ridiculous!!!!!! If I lived in Cali it would probably be a different story. Most of my friends here have a beater and garage their beauties for the winter.
Old 04-09-09, 10:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My SC430 is my daily beater...
When I had my Infiniti G35 coupe, that was my daily beater, and the SC430 the garage queen.

Since I traded the G35 coupe for the LS460L, the SC430 became my daily beater ...
Old 04-09-09, 03:00 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Just yesterday my beater brought another smile to my face, you see when I merge onto traffic during rush hour and no one will let me in, in my nice cars I would never risk it, but with my beater it goes down like this:

1. I inch up, turn on blinker, every other car rule merge.
2. Some jerk decides he doesn't want to let me merge and speeds up to close the gap with the car in front
3. I see this, accelerate and cut the wheel HARD to get my fender/nose just enough room in there where he will have to hit me (and I pray every day I can get someone to hit me, especially rear end me so I can collect the insurance money and not fix the beater of course)
4. Success! I am a pro at cutting people off in my beater, my other technique is if I'm in a slow moving lane and I see the guy behind me is about to jump over a lane, I immediatley turn on the turn signal and cut him off so if anyone gets hit it will be him by traffic behind him, or if I'm lucky he will ram into my car which got in front of him before.

Being in 3 accidents where Ive gotten people to rear end me I've pretty much mastered this art of beater use. The insurance companies always seem to pay out and find the other drive at fault if he/she rear ends you. I love my beater!

Another thing I like is having limo tinted windows all around the car and XM radio, XM radio makes any beater bearable.

Another thing I like is if I go to downtown San Diego and all the lots are full, there is always at least one spot where two cars are over the line and no one in their right mind would squeeze between them to park, well I would and do, then jump out the window to get out. Whats the worst that can happen, someone keys my beater, OH NO don't do that, ahaha

Last edited by toy4two; 04-09-09 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 09:27 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I see no point in a beater unless its a high end car with numerous safety equipments. I bought a Lexus for one main reason, yes it is nice inside and out; its realiable as heck; but what matters most to me is how well i'm protected if i get into a crash. What is a clean, showroom condition, brand new Lexus parked in the garage if you get crushed in a beater Civic or Integra (no offense to owners) during a crash??

For a quick example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-sympathy.html

Where an Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart was among three people killed in a DUI hit and run crash. Although he might not own a Lexus but he received a signing bonus of $710,000. I sure will not be riding in an Eclipse if I had that type of cash.

What I'm trying to say is if you can pay for a Lexus($30k-90K) and all the amenities that came with it, then use it fully. I for one will never park my IS with 8 airbags in the garage and drive a 2500 pounds Civic just to perserve the Lexus.
Old 04-09-09, 09:59 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

this is my daily beater
Old 04-09-09, 10:23 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Daily beater... bought it new one year ago and it now has 19,000 miles!

20s, H&Rs, HIDs, clear bra front & rear, all Boston speakers/Pioneer head/Alpine amp.

Apparently, it is invisible to the local po-po. This is a good thing!
Old 04-10-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I see no point in a beater unless its a high end car with numerous safety equipments. I bought a Lexus for one main reason, yes it is nice inside and out; its realiable as heck; but what matters most to me is how well i'm protected if i get into a crash. What is a clean, showroom condition, brand new Lexus parked in the garage if you get crushed in a beater Civic or Integra (no offense to owners) during a crash??
btw, why the motorcycle, given the safety concerns?
Old 04-10-09, 09:31 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, why the motorcycle, given the safety concerns?
the motorcycle is a hobby, not a daily beater.

yes it could be dangerous under the wrong/immature rider, but there are lots of hobbies/activities far more dangerous....skydiving, parachuting, or even riding in an airplane.... Heck, i even witnessed a car running over a pedestrian.

What my main point is, death is inevitable. But given the daily circumstances with most frequency, i like to take my chance in my IS instead of a beater
Old 04-10-09, 09:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your right.. Here are my daily drivers

Old 04-10-09, 09:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the motorcycle is a hobby, not a daily beater.

yes it could be dangerous under the wrong/immature rider, but there are lots of hobbies/activities far more dangerous....skydiving, parachuting, or even riding in an airplane.... Heck, i even witnessed a car running over a pedestrian.

What my main point is, death is inevitable. But given the daily circumstances with most frequency, i like to take my chance in my IS instead of a beater
Got it, a dangerous hobby with a much higher death rate per mile than any car. The danger with motorcycles is not usually caused by the rider, more likely to be other drivers in cars. Yes peds die, especially in the US which is not ped-friendly.

My preference for a beater is a truck. Agreed best dd is a Lexus because it's luxurious, sporty and safe. I typically use Lexus and Mercedes as dd's and Jeep as a rain/snow car.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-10-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-10-09, 12:58 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Got it, a dangerous hobby with a much higher death rate per mile than any car. The danger with motorcycles is not usually caused by the rider, more likely to be other drivers in cars. Yes peds die, especially in the US which is not ped-friendly.

My preference for a beater is a truck. Agreed best dd is a Lexus because it's luxurious, sporty and safe. I typically use Lexus and Mercedes as dd's and Jeep as a rain/snow car.
i see your point and i've been riding for 8 years with no accident, knock on wood. but the bottom line is i am not forced to ride my motorcycle in rush hour when i dont want to during the week just to keep my Lex in shape or miles off.
everything comes with a price right? i am pretty sure i can poke plenty holes in your actities.

hey if you want to buy a car and let its sit and depreciate, by all means go for it. to each his own

Last edited by ssmoked; 04-10-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 01:04 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Your right.. Here are my daily drivers

where is the Rav4?

Quick Reply: the "daily beater" appreciation thread