Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW devises smart car door

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 05:36 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW devises smart car door

BMW has already clearly shown that it wants to make its cars as smart as possible, and it looks like that extends right down to the doors, which have now been smartened up with a little help from the Technical University of Munich. According to New Scientist, the pair have developed a prototype door that uses a range of sensors to detect any oncoming dangers, and work in concert with an accelerometer in the door to prevent it from being opened. What's more, the sensors are apparently also able to detect the proximity of the object and adjust the resistance of the door accordingly -- for instance, slowing the door down if you're about to slam it into a lamp post. The current prototype does apparently have a bit of a problem when it comes to field of view, however, although BMW says that can be remedied with some added cameras in future versions, which could possibly be in actual cars in as little as a year -- though it's quick to point out that it hasn't made a final decision just yet.
(Courtesy of Crave)
Old 04-07-09, 05:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Listen,” said Ford, who was still engrossed in the sales brochure, “they make a big thing of the ship's cybernetics. A new generation of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation robots and computers, with the new GPP feature.”
“GPP feature?” said Arthur. “What's that?”

“Oh, it says Genuine People Personalities.”

“Oh,” said Arthur, “sounds ghastly.”

A voice behind them said, “It is.” The voice was low and hopeless and accompanied by a slight clanking sound. They span round and saw an abject steel man standing hunched in the doorway.

“What?” they said.

“Ghastly,” continued Marvin, “it all is. Absolutely ghastly. Just don't even talk about it. Look at this door,” he said, stepping through it. The irony circuits cut into his voice modulator as he mimicked the style of the sales brochure. “All the doors in this spaceship have a cheerful and sunny disposition. It is their pleasure to open for you, and their satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done.”

As the door closed behind them it became apparent that it did indeed have a satisfied sigh-like quality to it. “Hummmmmmmyummmmmmm ah!” it said.
(Courtesy of Douglas Adams)
Old 04-07-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Anybody want to volunteer their car to park next to it and and see if tests on this so-called "Smart" door will prevent parking-lot dings?
Old 04-07-09, 05:55 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anybody want to volunteer their car to park next to it and and see if tests on this so-called "Smart" door will prevent parking-lot dings?
I'm not worried about me door dinging someone else, I'm worried about someone door dinging me. If they can solve that one, I'll buy your smart door BMW.
Old 04-07-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm not worried about me door dinging someone else, I'm worried about someone door dinging me. If they can solve that one, I'll buy your smart door BMW.
Yes, that is what I actually meant. I did that post, of course, as a joke.
Old 04-07-09, 08:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

seems like another invention from the Germans that is infinitely uneeded and will only result in further loss of reliability in the vehicles that carry this feature. No thanks BMW but I can open my own door