Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to reorganize its U.S. operations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
sorry mmarshall. You are wrong. The first gen Tundra was competitive. Even though it did not match the domestics in size and towing...(this was intentional, Toyota matched the domestics in size with the 1st gen Sequioa but mechanicals where not as strong) it was competitive for payload, price, durability and offered American buyers something different than GMC/Ford/Dodge.

The competitively poor sales of the first-generation Tundra proved that it was not competitive. That is why F-150, Silverado, and Ram owners generally refused to give up their domestic trucks for first-gen Tundras....it was simply not a full-size truck. It had a marginally full-size V8, but, like the previous T-100/150, was only 3/4 size on the outside. It also could not match the domestics in towing capacity, as the Nissan Titan could.

You can give whatever reasons you want (as you did) for why Toyota did not produce a TRUE full-size truck from the start, back in the mid-90's, like it should have, but the fact is that they did not, and, at the time, it hurt them, even considering that Toyota in general grew enormously.

Toyota dealers in America saw, years ago, that the T-100/150 and first-generation Tundra would not be competitive, and warned Toyota headquarters in Japan that they needed bigger trucks. ( I mentioned it myself to the Toyota people at the auto shows). The management heads, in Japan, foolishly, didn't pay attantion. They simply didn't understand the American truck market.....and, like I said above, it cost them. Now, finally, they do understand.

Now....you mentioned the first-gen Sequoia. It DID (roughly) match the Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition in size, but its frame lacked the beefiness for towing and substantial off-road activity that the domestics had.

Toyota, any way you look at it, simply did not understand the American truck market for many years. They let Nissan (who DID understand it) get a big head-start on them with the Titan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 11:44 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;4427823]The competitively poor sales of the first-generation Tundra proved that it was not competitive. QUOTE]

I am not sure you understand the full size truck market or what you are talking about. The firt generation Tundra was a huge success. Toyota showed sales growth year over year up until the redesign in 2007. Toyota forcasted 100,000 units per year and was selling up 125,000 units a year2005/2006. These buyers didn't just come out of thin air.
That is why F-150, Silverado, and Ram owners generally refused to give up their domestic trucks for first-gen Tundras.....[/
Are you kidding me? The first gen Tundra found 100,000 buyers in its second year on the market. 50,000 units in 99 as manufacturing was not up to speed. These buyers must of come from somewhere. And they whether or not these buyers traded in their Sierra or Rams is not the point. The point is that they bought a Toyota. Whether it was a exsisting Toyota owner or a first time truck buyer. The second gen Tundras are all about conquest sales. First gen was not.

To date Toyota built some 700,000+/- Tundras from 99-2006. This was with a truck that was not the same size as the domestics. Had a smaller engine and limited frame/box choices. Just like when the LS400 entered the luxury market, Lexus did have diesels, v12s, long wheelbases....the same goes with the Tundra. Now the LS460 is the same size as the competition just like the Tundra is with the domestics trucks.

mmarshall...most of your posts seem educated and knowledgable. Also, its seems you do understand the car market when you do review your cars. But to say the first gen Tundra was not a success or had poor sales....you are simply wrong.

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-12-09 at 11:48 AM.