Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Air Suspension report

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 05:26 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should've made a vid of you doing the presentation then show it to us. lol
Old 04-14-09, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

With a typical air suspension, an air pump supplies compressed air to bladders in the suspension to keep the car (particularly the rear end) at a pre-determined level, regardless of vehicle load. In other words, the vehicle is kept from sagging.

In general, though, I don't recommend air suspensions, for two main reasons. First, since they don't allow the car to sag with a heavy load, they can (and do) tempt drivers to load up the car past safe limits.....or what the manufacturer rates the car for. Second, they often are not as reliable as conventional suspensions (especially the Cadillac and Lincoln air suspensions), and the components are quite expensive to replace when they do fail (sometimes several thousand dollars). What some owners do when they fail is simply replace them with conventional struts and shocks, which are much cheaper and will often fit.
Old 04-15-09, 04:36 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
woohoo, thanks to Emeralds help, i got a 85 .

THATS AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!
Old 04-15-09, 07:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
should've made a vid of you doing the presentation then show it to us. lol
lol ooo no. reason i got a 85 was cuz i talked for like 5 mins then showed 2 clips. ill take that for a 1 credit class!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With a typical air suspension, an air pump supplies compressed air to bladders in the suspension to keep the car (particularly the rear end) at a pre-determined level, regardless of vehicle load. In other words, the vehicle is kept from sagging.

In general, though, I don't recommend air suspensions, for two main reasons. First, since they don't allow the car to sag with a heavy load, they can (and do) tempt drivers to load up the car past safe limits.....or what the manufacturer rates the car for. Second, they often are not as reliable as conventional suspensions (especially the Cadillac and Lincoln air suspensions), and the components are quite expensive to replace when they do fail (sometimes several thousand dollars). What some owners do when they fail is simply replace them with conventional struts and shocks, which are much cheaper and will often fit.
yep i talked about the pros and cons of using air suspension systems.

Originally Posted by Emerald
THATS AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!
thanks to you .
Old 04-15-09, 08:44 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrads Joe.