Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward’s Auto announces 2009 Interior of the Year winners

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 10:40 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised about the TL. Maybe the value portion of the evaluation carries more weight than it should? I find the older TL to have a much nicer interior, and I agree with other posts that Acura's materials have taken a step down (At least in the TSX/TL... I didn't sit inside their other models.)

I suppose that judging interior is purely subjective, just like the exterior. You'd think that materials and fit/finish would be pretty straightforward, yet evaluations always vary from one extreme to another.
Old 04-11-09, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Now that Lent is over tomorrow, Mike (1SICKLEX) should be back with us, and I'll bet he's going to have some things to say about this.
Old 04-11-09, 03:06 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leedogg
I think its pretty impressive that the TL managed to capture this spot. Its a tribute to the design that they did this in spite of using cheaper materials. Acura could have easily used higher quality materials (as they do in the RL) but their strategy is to make these cars as value packed as possible and by using cheaper materials they can pass the savings down to the consumer. I think they managed to pull off the perfect blend of excellent design and choose the right blend of materials that would provide cost savings without adversely affecting the appearance of quality. This is the primary goal for a lot of manufacturers, but Honda and Acura appear to lead the pack in accomplishing this
This is probably true, and probably why they won this top spot. From photos, it's easy to see how the design of the current TL is a great one, but from an objective standpoint of the actual construction of the interior, it's very difficult, even impossible, to say is bests all of it's closest competitors.

It's a pretty fringe opinion that cars like the Audi A4 have poor quality interiors, but the simple reality is, the TL, but in this current generation and last, have never had the interior quality of that car, let alone the second generation Lexus IS. I still completely stand by my statement of the Accord interior resemblance. The buttons appear almost lifted from that car and have the same tactile feedback (which isn't up to Lexus/BMW/audi levels), even the same chintzy feeling door pulls.

So a nice design that is augmented with a mix of material choices that don't scream, "best in class".

Last edited by FKL; 04-11-09 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 06:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of comments seem to forget that the award goes only to newly redesigned cars just like any COTY award. Yet arguments for older models are being made.

Also, it's seems that people are wondering why the TL's interior uses cheaper materials than the RL's. Umm, because it's 10 grand less. Since when does a brands mid-level model expected to match the flagship's?
Old 04-11-09, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Also, it's seems that people are wondering why the TL's interior uses cheaper materials than the RL's. Umm, because it's 10 grand less. Since when does a brands mid-level model expected to match the flagship's?
You're putting the cart before the horse. The problem is not so much that the TL's new interior doesn't match the RL's; as you note, that's to be expected. The problem is that the new TL interior, at least IMO, doesn't even match the OLD TL's. It uses cheaper, less-plush, hard-surface materials, and does not have a wood-tone option any more. That, though, is a problem with new cars from a number of manufacturers, not just Acura. Plastic interiors, often with hard surfaces, seem to be the norm now for cost-cutting, although not all plastic interiors are flimsy.....the plastics in the new Subaru Impreza/Forester, though hard-surfaced, seem to be quite solid and of high quality.
Old 04-11-09, 08:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're putting the cart before the horse. The problem is not so much that the TL's new interior doesn't match the RL's; as you note, that's to be expected. The problem is that the new TL interior, at least IMO, doesn't even match the OLD TL's. It uses cheaper, less-plush, hard-surface materials, and does not have a wood-tone option any more. That, though, is a problem with new cars from a number of manufacturers, not just Acura. Plastic interiors, often with hard surfaces, seem to be the norm now for cost-cutting, although not all plastic interiors are flimsy.....the plastics in the new Subaru Impreza/Forester, though hard-surfaced, seem to be quite solid and of high quality.
I have compared the 08TL interior to the 09TL and the 09 had nicer more plush materials in most areas and felt a little higher quality then the already impressive 08TL interior although the design is a little more busy and the 08 flows a little better, feels/looks sportier, and appeals to me a little more. No the 09TL interior is not as nice, use as high quality materials, or has the attention to detail like the RL but it is still very nice and tops in its class. The center stack is a little busy and like you I would like to see a version or trim option with wood instead of metal but people seem to prefer metal trim in sporty cars these days.

I reread your review of the 09 TL which was spot on and almost the exact impression I got because I found some of your recent negative criticisms of the 09TL interior not to really match what you wrote in your detailed review. From the review it appears you really did like the interior and were impressed and only faulted the plasticky navigation **** which I too found not that great and slight disappointment in no wood trim option and it being a little busy. You did not complain about quality, fit/finish, or cheaper materials in your 09 TL review like some of your more recent posts and it seemed just the opposite to where you were pleasantly surprised by the interior and quality/materials. It is no RL but the RL is an expensive more upscale car and of course will have the nicer interior, materials, and attention to detail.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-acura-tl.html
Old 04-11-09, 08:46 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I feel the new TL has a more expensive interior over the previous gen. I guess it's a subjective thing. For example, the large arcing strips of REAL textured aluminum feels and looks really expensive in person (pics don't give an accurate interpretation). The steering wheel is upgraded. The seats are upgraded. The rest of the plastics are the same material as the previous model. But to each, his own.
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see where different people might place emphasis on different parts of the interior which would lead to different opinions. I think that for the most part, FKL and I are on the same page with this.

Interiors are, in a way, my knack. Some of you are all about horsepower, some about suspension, VIP, bippu, etc...but for me interiors are really where the detail and character in a car come out. When I get in a car I run my fingers along everything, knock on panels, thumb over seams and gaps, pry, stick, scratch, snub, push and pull. I will examine everything from the weight and tension in a door handle to the knit and grain in carpeting. Sounds odd but I am, and always have been, fascinated by interiors and how they vary so much from marque to marque.

With that said, I found the previous TL to be one of the nicest interiors in it's class, due in large part to an aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing design and above-average materials. Not the best, but certainly on the better side of average. It had a great layout that was pleasing to the eye and the touch in almost all areas.

The new car looks more interesting and high tech at first glance but that is at the expense of simplicity with more buttons in a condensed, small area on the center stack and a steering wheel that nearly has a QWERTY keyboard on it. I could handle the buttons as I am sure that most owners get used to their location and function quickly, but the materials really have taken a dip from the previous TL. The genuine aluminum trim is probably the coolest aspect of the interior and does feel solid, tightly applied and fastened, and high quality. I like it.

There is nothing wrong with hard plastic but it simply depends on things like grain and thickness as to whether or not it feels expensive. Porsche uses very hard plastics but they're also thick feeling and sounding, and also have a great texture to them. If I recall correctly, the TL has hard, thin feeling and sounding, texture-less plastics throughout the interior. The door pulls feel especially cheap as myself and others have pointed out. This is simply not befitting for a luxury car or brand. The door panels also feel especially hollow.

It is hard to really fault Acura for this because many other manufacturers have fallen into the same trap lately, but many of those brands are also mainstream companies like Toyota, Mazda, or Honda. Sit inside an IS or 3 series and push, pull, feel, pry, rub, etc and you will quickly discover the higher quality tactile feel and detail. They feel nothing like a Camry or Accord in any respect. Even the resistance in the buttons and dials feels significantly more upscale than a mainstream car. The same cannot be said for the TL which has nice bits and pieces, but does not impress on the whole. As mmarshall has argued...the car doesn't even offer a wood package. What luxury brand does not even OFFER wood trim?

Also consider that Acura put a good bit of new technology into the TL which ate up a lot of the budget for the car, so cutting some corners is probably to be expected. Depending on sales in the next 2 or 3 years, they might refresh and significantly upgrade the interior at the mid-life-cycle update. Who knows? For now though, I find it hard to be impressed with an interior that is busier and significantly "harder" all around than the car it replaces.

It's easy to look back on the interior of an older car and not be impressed because elements of design and certain trends come and go so quickly, but when judging an interior based on merits like quality, usability, and ergonomics, as well as against other competing interiors of their time...it is hard to argue that this was not one of the best:

Last edited by MPLexus301; 04-11-09 at 09:38 PM.