Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Monster Cable learns nothing, sues Monster Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 12:24 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monster Cable learns nothing, sues Monster Transmission

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/09/m...-transmission/

Wondering why Engadget still has a permanent ban on covering Monster Cable products, even after the company tried to make amends for its frivolous lawsuit and strong-arm settlement offer against Monster Mini Golf? Well, it's because the company hasn't actually changed its ways -- not only did we just catch them trying to peddle their overpriced snakeoil cables using rigged displays for the third time, Noel Lee's lawyers have dusted themselves off and filed a lawsuit against Monster Transmission, a performance auto supplier in Florida. Yes, Monster Cable is suing an American automotive manufacturing company in the middle of a recession. Brilliant PR move, don't you think? So yeah, the ban stands -- and we'd recommend steering your friends to any number of cable brands that are just as good, much cheaper, and far less burdened with the stink of desperation than any of Monster's products.
Old 04-09-09, 12:59 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats never going after Monster.com LOL

I hope Monster Transmission wins then counter sues Monster Cable for everything they got.
Old 04-09-09, 01:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've spoken to a COMPUSA representative before, and the markup on the Monster Cables is INSANE based on what he says. IE Cables that cost the store say figuratively $10, they must mark up to $75....insane.
Old 04-09-09, 01:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Monster cables are some of the most rip off cables ever. They are not nearly worth as much as they asking price. Their prices breaks down to 10% product, 90% marketing.

I hate Monster with a passion
Old 04-09-09, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Monster cables are some of the most rip off cables ever. They are not nearly worth as much as they asking price. Their prices breaks down to 10% product, 90% marketing.

I hate Monster with a passion
amen, that's why i refuse to get their stuff, it's just plain silly
Old 04-09-09, 02:53 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

same cables are $5 at http://monoprice.com every high end videophile swears by them, I've also used them and they are excellent
Old 04-09-09, 03:02 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

monster cable is still living in the analog days.

they think they can fool people with their analog bs.

cables are digital now, so there's no need for monster cable.

someone should start a website called www.f***monstercable.com and have google chock it up to #1 hit for "monster" searches.
and reveal the truth about their cables. including real comparisons with cables that are 95% cheaper.
people need to see the truth.

i hope monster cable goes bankrupt. we don't need parasites like that around.
Old 04-09-09, 11:01 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I was one of the unfortunate idiots who got suckered into the Monster Cable marketing ploys. I bought a couple of their HDMI 1000HD cables a while back only to learn a month later about their scare tactics against other companies that use "monster" in their name. They sued bluejeanscable but they got served by the company's own founder since he's also a lawyer http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

I'll be buying all my cables from this place from now on.
Old 04-10-09, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

been there done that. Monster cables are a rip off. They sell them to you like they are going to change the world. You do the install and ..... pretty much no real difference
Old 04-10-09, 07:21 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I've spoken to a COMPUSA representative before, and the markup on the Monster Cables is INSANE based on what he says. IE Cables that cost the store say figuratively $10, they must mark up to $75....insane.
Ha ha! His estimates are very, very conservative! Try more like $10, marked up to several hundred dollars! I've seen Monster HDMI cables that run $900 that can easily compare to a HDMI cable from New Egg for around $7!!! .
Yes, it's INSANE! Stay away from Monster, the snake oil marketing masters.
Old 04-10-09, 07:33 AM
legit
Pole Position

Monster just bullies everyone, large and small.

"After attacking Disney’s film “Monsters Inc.”, Monster.com, Monster Energy Drink, Timex, Monster Mini-Golf, Discovery Channel and countless others, one has to wonder when will it stop?"
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...e=492220090408

Hopefully, "the word" spreads and everyone will see the light.

Anyhow, +1 on the Blue Jeans Cables. Amazing guy who actually fought back against Monster's absurd claims and demands.
Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cables >> Monster
Old 04-10-09, 07:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
I was one of the unfortunate idiots who got suckered into the Monster Cable marketing ploys. I bought a couple of their HDMI 1000HD cables a while back only to learn a month later about their scare tactics against other companies that use "monster" in their name. They sued bluejeanscable but they got served by the company's own founder since he's also a lawyer http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

I'll be buying all my cables from this place from now on.
Lol, that is an AWESOME read. I know about blue jeans cable but don't own any of their stuff... had never run across that link before.
Old 04-10-09, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Ha ha! His estimates are very, very conservative! Try more like $10, marked up to several hundred dollars! I've seen Monster HDMI cables that run $900 that can easily compare to a HDMI cable from New Egg for around $7!!! .
Yes, it's INSANE! Stay away from Monster, the snake oil marketing masters.
making "cool" hdmi cable has to be one of the most retarded move by them. it's freaking digital cable, who cares if it's made out of gold

over the years i have read all the disgusting stories about monster cable and it's just laughable. umm i wonder, we all type so many "monster" and "cable" in this thread, when are they going to sue?
Old 04-10-09, 09:57 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
making "cool" hdmi cable has to be one of the most retarded move by them. it's freaking digital cable, who cares if it's made out of gold

over the years i have read all the disgusting stories about monster cable and it's just laughable. umm i wonder, we all type so many "monster" and "cable" in this thread, when are they going to sue?
I'm somewhat surprised they haven't yet, maybe claim libel on our behalf? LOL