Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nostalgia vid - Redlining my IS350 after pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 09:23 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nostalgia vid - Redlining my IS350 after pickup

Seems like just yesterday my baby had less than 100 miles... And now the lease turn-in is coming up at the end of this year... She's got almost 33k miles so far! Engine rattles at startup though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgrapfogik8
Old 04-12-09, 09:43 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you getting next?
Old 04-12-09, 03:53 PM
ISFHAHA
Check your PM - SALES ISSUE

How did you hack the nag so you can watch DVD while driving ?
Old 04-12-09, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
She's got almost 33k miles so far! Engine rattles at startup though...
Yeah, I guess it DOES rattle a little bit, especially with the low oil pressure at start-up.. 7000 RPM on an engine with only 100 miles on it is clear abuse.....especially if you did that a number of times. The rings, valve stems, bearings, and cylinder walls probably got f***ed-up and didn't seat properly. That car will probably end up being a premature oil-burner and fail emission tests....if it isn't now.

When proper break-in recommendations are given for a new car, they are done so for a reason.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 06:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, I guess it DOES rattle a little bit, especially with the low oil pressure at start-up.. 7000 RPM on an engine with only 100 miles on it is clear abuse.....especially if you did that a number of times. The rings, valve stems, bearings, and cylinder walls probably got f***ed-up and didn't seat properly. That car will probably end up being a premature oil-burner and fail emission tests....if it isn't now.

When proper break-in recommendations are given for a new car, they are done so for a reason.
doesn't matter now...

leased and rented cars are always abused. drive it like you stole it, and let the next owner deal with it...
Old 04-12-09, 06:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
doesn't matter now...

leased and rented cars are always abused. drive it like you stole it, and let the next owner deal with it...
I like to keep my car for mmore 30k miles before having to get rid of it because of problems.
Old 04-12-09, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

another reason i don't buy used cars...
Old 04-12-09, 06:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well he was cruising already and the car looks like it was warmed up already. but most people dont really care about breaking in the engine.
Old 04-12-09, 06:49 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

So to what extent are these engines "broken in" at the factory, and what cautions should still be taken in the first few thousand mi?

I never baby-ed my car even when it was new (2008 ES350). Always generous with throttle, but I can't remember whether I got too near the redline for long-term health.
Old 04-12-09, 06:51 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow time does fly by! So what will you be getting next?
Old 04-12-09, 07:02 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superchan7
So to what extent are these engines "broken in" at the factory, and what cautions should still be taken in the first few thousand mi?
In general, you shouldn't exceed 4000 RPMS (varies by engine size and # of gears) for the first 5,000 miles. Especially if the engine is not warmed up. This is why Subaru doesn't like to let people test drive the STi. People have a tendancy to redline it.
Old 04-12-09, 07:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
Just have common sense and dont beat the car, and it'll treat you well.

BTW, I know a lot of people who follows the break-in procedures in their new car, but you have to do some sort of redline at least once in a while. Piston rings need some kind of load to seat. You can't do that if you're driving granny-style. It's also not out of the blues to see cars dyno with higher number by putting some kind of loading on the engine when it's still 'new'. Obviously don't floor the car as soon as you get it. Get it up to operating temperature and slowly increase throttle now and then so the engine doesn't experience thermal shock.
Old 04-12-09, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

dude you abuse a new lexus like that and then expect it not to rattle at start up????
Old 04-12-09, 10:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Just have common sense and dont beat the car, and it'll treat you well.

BTW, I know a lot of people who follows the break-in procedures in their new car, but you have to do some sort of redline at least once in a while. Piston rings need some kind of load to seat. You can't do that if you're driving granny-style. It's also not out of the blues to see cars dyno with higher number by putting some kind of loading on the engine when it's still 'new'. Obviously don't floor the car as soon as you get it.
An engine, while new, can be "loaded up" without red-lining it, especially if it has a manual or sport-shift automatic transmission. Just accelerate with a moderately heavy foot in a higher gear, which will lug the engine a little and put a load on it while keeping the RPM down. Don't get carried away, though, because low-RPM lugging under a heavy load can stress out the crankshaft and bearings. It can also cause pinging if the computer doesn't have a spark-retarder.

Get it up to operating temperature and slowly increase throttle now and then so the engine doesn't experience thermal shock.
Thermal shock is usually not much of a problem with liquid-cooled engines because the anti-freeze coolant acts as a buffer and prevents large temperature swings over short periods. But air-cooled engines are another matter. When I was flying light planes that had horizontally-opposed air-cooled engines, we had to be careful pulling the throttles back suddenly to simulate and practice engine-out emergencies because the sudden power loss COULD cause shock-cooling under those circumstances, and you could get a failed engine for real.
Old 04-13-09, 02:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Absolute hogwash. I've built and broken-in MANY brand new engines, and done it very much the same way. Engine fully broken in and producing full power in less than 100 miles. If done correctly there's never an issue - and in fact, if babied, rings won't seat ever, valves will not seat and seal, and the pistons will never hold their proper shape.

An engine, while new, can be "loaded up" without red-lining it, especially if it has a manual or sport-shift automatic transmission. Just accelerate with a moderately heavy foot in a higher gear, which will lug the engine a little and put a load on it while keeping the RPM down. Don't get carried away, though, because low-RPM lugging under a heavy load can stress out the crankshaft and bearings. It can also cause pinging if the computer doesn't have a spark-retarder.

Thermal shock is usually not much of a problem with liquid-cooled engines because the anti-freeze coolant acts as a buffer and prevents large temperature swings over short periods. But air-cooled engines are another matter. When I was flying light planes that had horizontally-opposed air-cooled engines, we had to be careful pulling the throttles back suddenly to simulate and practice engine-out emergencies because the sudden power loss COULD cause shock-cooling under those circumstances, and you could get a failed engine for real.
Thermal shock is what break-in is all about. Controlled thermal shock. Pistons at full throttle are in a near plastic state. If you don't progressively apply increasing thermal load with cool off periods between loading, the pistons won't ever support the rings correctly, and blowby will be your constant friend.

There's not a thing wrong with Technique's engine and your disparaging remarks are not based in any truth I've seen in the last 30 years of building engines for street and competition.

Quick Reply: Nostalgia vid - Redlining my IS350 after pickup