Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

50,000 Pre-Orders for 2010 Mercedes E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 09:06 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Ohh well, here comes the Korean version of the E-class!! It is almost funny how MB goes after the Korean guys and copied their styling!! Then again what can we expect from MB!! Unreliable cars that look like Korean cars!! LOL

I still can get over the fact that door handles came with your hand on a 04-07 C-classes if you used them to close the doors!! Then you have people here showing pics of their vintage benzes looking mint!!! I have also seen Edsels in mint condition.... that does not make it a reliable car!!
Old 04-13-09, 10:24 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Outside of the B class, imo, the E is MB weakest series except for the AMG.
Err, not sure if I'd say the R-Class is nicer than the E.

No shock that the new E will be a big seller. Still not sold on the new exterior looks, but I'm sure it'll grown on me.
Old 04-13-09, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Err, not sure if I'd say the R-Class is nicer than the E.

No shock that the new E will be a big seller. Still not sold on the new exterior looks, but I'm sure it'll grown on me.
but it's not like the previous generation where it grew on most people when it first came out
Old 04-14-09, 12:09 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

C-class is the weakest... too damn small...
Old 04-14-09, 06:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw - In the lucrative US market the C-class is the best selling Mercedes sedan by far. It's not clear the E-class can outsell the C-class in the US market going forward.
Honestly I think a lot of people have been waiting for the new E class since the last one (even though it's nicer to look at) has been out for some time now. When the new E is released I'm expecting to see a lot on the road.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
C-class is the weakest... too damn small...
Size is relative An E/GS/5/A6 sized car would be too big for me at my current stage in life.
Old 04-14-09, 07:47 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it funny to see people here jumping on the E class for being a taxi in other countries. Let’s get this straight Lexus/Toyota will probably sell their soul to sell more cars in Europe. Toyota is the last company to care about being exclusive unless it’s going to make them money. All the overlapping of cars Toyota makes. I truly wonder how people decide rather they want a Corolla or Scion. I don’t find the new E class that amazing but to be honest I never been interest in any E class. I prefer coupes over sedans cars. Lastly the reliable posts are getting old Mercedes cars are not as unreliable as you guys exaggerate.
Old 04-14-09, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
I find it funny to see people here jumping on the E class for being a taxi in other countries. Let’s get this straight Lexus/Toyota will probably sell their soul to sell more cars in Europe. Toyota is the last company to care about being exclusive unless it’s going to make them money. All the overlapping of cars Toyota makes. I truly wonder how people decide rather they want a Corolla or Scion. I don’t find the new E class that amazing but to be honest I never been interest in any E class. I prefer coupes over sedans cars. Lastly the reliable posts are getting old Mercedes cars are not as unreliable as you guys exaggerate.
You have it wrong. Its not jumping on Benz, its a FACT. If you read what I have stated, I respect the E class dearly. I didn't even mention the other FACT that around 50% of BMW/Benz/Audi sales are FLEET sales in Europe. Its not jumping on them. I read an article in the Lexus mag where a taxi-cab owner chose a RX 400h for his vehicle. If I am correct, with NYC laws changing, all taxi-cabs will be hybrids and the police force will use the Altima hybrid for its car.

Right the IS-F isn't exclusive, nor the GS 450h or LS 600h L (special order only).

A one year report showing Benz quality is better does not make up for over 10 years+ or sub-par/average quality. One bad year for Lexus does not > 20 years of #1-#5 rankings for Lexus.

You want overlap? Check a Euro Benz catalog. They have some many models in so many configurations they overlap one another as well.

The FACT is the E-class is a HUGE volume seller, its a fleet car, its a taxicab. Thus 50k pre-orders are NORMAL for it.

I am not putting down the brand. I would hope people would appreciate the knowledge I am passing from my extensive reading instead of getting so defensive all the time.

Old 04-14-09, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHIT CHAT and "getting defensive all the time", yeah that's been done before here over and over and over again.

But on topic, as much as I also respect the E-class, in the US market I see the E-class as losing it's top selling status for Mercedes sedans to the C-class. It's due to a number of factors including, upsized and improved C-class, fuel economy concerns, economics. IMHO, this is not a temporary trend in the US market for Mercedes.
Old 04-14-09, 10:00 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

CHIT CHAT and "getting defensive all the time", yeah that's been done before here over and over and over again.

But on topic, as much as I also respect the E-class, in the US market I see the E-class as losing it's top selling status for Mercedes sedans to the C-class. It's due to a number of factors including, upsized and improved C-class, fuel economy concerns, economics. IMHO, this is not a temporary trend in the US market for Mercedes.
+1 .

Honestly, im not completely sold on the exterior look of the new gen. E class. And the sales dont suprise me either
Old 04-14-09, 10:38 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a reason why the E class is beloved as a taxi.
If you talk to most Stuttgart taxi drivers they'll tell you why they like the E class. It's one of the best balanced cars in its class (always has been) with a high bias towards comfort and interior space. I think every E class generation has always retained the comfort, interior space, large trunk and high payload capacity aspects and this makes them highly desirable as taxi cabs. Also, the E class taxis are usually low-end diesels which are fuel efficient, dependable and bring down maintenance costs. Mercedes also offers so-called "taxi packages" where taxi companies can put together their E classes.

Calling taxi E classes "low spec" is a common mistake. Most E class taxis these days are very well optioned out with automatic transmission, navigation, A/C, electric seats and so forth. In some cases there are E class taxis which have more features than a regular, private-bought E class.

If we are honest, the Lexus GS would make an extremely poor taxi. Interior space is small compared to the E class (as is the payload capacity) and the GS will be a maintenance cost nightmare with those high fuel bills (city driving).
Old 04-14-09, 12:05 PM
rogers2
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You have it wrong. Its not jumping on Benz, its a FACT. If you read what I have stated, I respect the E class dearly. I didn't even mention the other FACT that around 50% of BMW/Benz/Audi sales are FLEET sales in Europe. Its not jumping on them. I read an article in the Lexus mag where a taxi-cab owner chose a RX 400h for his vehicle. If I am correct, with NYC laws changing, all taxi-cabs will be hybrids and the police force will use the Altima hybrid for its car.

Right the IS-F isn't exclusive, nor the GS 450h or LS 600h L (special order only).

A one year report showing Benz quality is better does not make up for over 10 years+ or sub-par/average quality. One bad year for Lexus does not > 20 years of #1-#5 rankings for Lexus.

You want overlap? Check a Euro Benz catalog. They have some many models in so many configurations they overlap one another as well.

The FACT is the E-class is a HUGE volume seller, its a fleet car, its a taxicab. Thus 50k pre-orders are NORMAL for it.

I am not putting down the brand. I would hope people would appreciate the knowledge I am passing from my extensive reading instead of getting so defensive all the time.
Hey 1SICKLEX I definately appreciate the knowledge you bring to the board but sometimes you spice it up a little bit. But this topic is not about you it's about Toyota/Lexus and the E Class. Lastly let's be honest Toyota don't don't care about exclusive so you can sell that arguement to someone else b/c if they could sell a million IS and GS they would. The simple fact is that the E class is going sell, does it really matter if it's fleet or not.

In fact I wish the next time I catch a taxi from the airport it's a Benz.
Old 04-14-09, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
In fact I wish the next time I catch a taxi from the airport it's a Benz.
Fly to Templehof Airport in Berlin and you'll probably get your wish.
Old 04-14-09, 01:02 PM
rogers2
Racer

Thanks, but no thanks. It's not on my places to visit. My list is below.
Top 10: Cities With Beautiful Women

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/...l_top_ten.html

5. Prague, Czech Republic
Prague is known for beer and women. But who needs beer when you have women like Veronica Zemanova strutting around their thin yet chesty frames? Again, she may not be representative of the majority, but who cares?

Prague is actually one of the nicest cities in the world, so head over and grab a Pilsner Urquell or two, enjoy the view, and determine whether all men have the same hairdo as hockey star Jaromir Jagr. But why you would even stare at men beats me; if you are lucky enough, you just may meet Veronica's long lost sister.

4. Copenhagen, Denmark
When we presented this question to our panel of readers, most of them had votes ranging from all continents. But the men that were the most convinced were undoubtedly those blessed enough to have visited Copenhagen.

We asked for more details, but Denmark has earned a right as the world's capital of beautiful and tall women; the more the merrier. Just bring along a dictionary and the rest will be history.

3. Caracas, Venezuela
Venezuelans are extremely friendly, and we cannot help but want to make friends with the fun ladies of Venezuela, most notably those from the city of Caracas. The women are so beautiful that no words could describe their elegance and sexiness. Have you ever seen a pageant where the Venezuelan was not a finalist? Exactly.

The original pirates landed in Caracas with the loot they raided from the Caribbean, but no amount of gold could parallel Caracas' main treasure: The beautiful women. Today, Caracas is among every man's preferred destination for women. If you ever need more, just head off to the island of Margarita, or better yet, find yourself an angel from Caracas and take her with you.

2. Milan, Italy
Yes, Milan may have an unfair advantage, as it is the home of a thriving fashion community, and where there is fashion, there are -- you guessed it -- models. Despite this luxury, most men would argue that it is not only the models that help Milan's stature.

Case in point: I've got two words for you -- Monica Bellucci. Again, she may not be the average Milanese woman, but who wants average, right? And if you doubt me, just ask baseball player Shawn Green which city has the best-looking women. The answer, again and again and again, remains Milan.

1. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rio de Janeiro is known for two things: its beaches and its beach bums. And those beach bums are (and belong to) some of the nicest, voluptuous and most outgoing women in the world. Sure, not all of them look like Gisele, but a visit to Rio will at least offer you a chance to find the next Adriana Lima.

You must have heard the bossa nova song, "The Girl From Ipanema" -- well, as the song says, the beaches are swarming with beautiful, busty women in dental floss bikinis. The best part is that the nightlife never ceases, so don't be surprised if you decide to stay longer than expected
Old 04-14-09, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

No thanks, I don't need to ride in some low power diesel taxi

But I do enjoy sometimes a Mercedes E-class loaner when I get my Mercedes serviced.
Old 04-14-09, 01:21 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No thanks, I don't need to ride in some low power diesel taxi

But I do enjoy sometimes a Mercedes E-class loaner when I get my Mercedes serviced.
but a crown vic sounds good?

Quick Reply: 50,000 Pre-Orders for 2010 Mercedes E-Class