Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia is defying the bad economy? Think again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09 | 09:15 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb The Big 3

If memory serves, I remember that 1, if not all, of Detroit's finest had commented that they were cutting back fleet sales to help protect their brand's image/resale. Apparently Hyundai/Kia has picked up the slack ...
Old 04-13-09 | 09:17 PM
LexFather

Fleet sales
1. Don't help your profits, only help move your inventory
2. Don't help with image
3. Don't help with resale

Its been known for sometime the Sonata plant in AL has been idle with thousands of Sonatas sitting there. This is a short sighted move but one that may pay off as they continue to get positive press.

On the other hand Fleet sales are huge for the Germans in Europe, accounting for 40-50% of the sales.
Old 04-13-09 | 11:49 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

hyundai's main goal was 'Driving is Believing'

they already posted high fleet numbers last 2-3 years. not 33% but i'm sure it was more like 20% maybe little higher. so even if they had same fleet numbers as last few years, they would still be top 3, posting less than -15%.

fleet sales were a key success especially for hyundai. people were impressed by sonata, santa fe or azera. i rent hertz and avis alot and i saw many people asking for sonata or azera.

anyway, i don't see them slowing down anytime soon because both companies have a great cars coming up very soon. Soul, gen coupe, new sorrento, VG sedan(amanti?), new sonata, new tucson, upcoming hybrid, and etc.

I'm betting hyundai will pass Nissan in sales within next 2-3 years. they aren't going away.
Old 04-14-09 | 03:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It might be that the rental companies, even aside from specific demand from customers, have seen what value and quality the Sonata, Elantra, Accent, and Santa Fe are.
I really don't think rental car companies care one bit about the quality of the cars they rent. Rental cars are used for transportation, that's it. As long as the car runs and gets their clients where they want to go, that's all they care about.
Old 04-14-09 | 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I really don't think rental car companies care one bit about the quality of the cars they rent. Rental cars are used for transportation, that's it. As long as the car runs and gets their clients where they want to go, that's all they care about.
Yup. For the most part, the cars are just a commodity for the fleets. Whatever gets the job done at the best price.