Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi vs BMW billboard ad war in So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09 | 08:59 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Old 04-14-09 | 10:07 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus has humor too. Anyone remember the 2GS ad where it shows the GS outaccelerating the E class and 5 series by a cliff then all 3 brake up and the GS brakes in time and the other 2 fall off the cliff as it had better brakes
I certainly do remember that
Old 04-14-09 | 10:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

lol wut? Not even close. Acura competes with Saab and itself, Honda.

I love how the brands go at it sometimes. I still chuckle at the Audi ad when the guy looks at the ES 300
Audi is to BMW/MB
as
Acura/Infiniti is to Lexus
Tier II Luxury vs Tier I Luxury
IMHO

Saab, who da hell drive Saab? Saab completes w/ Volvo...
Old 04-14-09 | 10:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Audi is to BMW/MB
as
IMHO

Its not the same. Its clear Audi/BMW/Benz are pretty much equals offering the same kind of models etc. I do agree in AMERICA Audi is still Tier II compared to them but globally, Audi is their equal.

Lexus is 3 steps over Infiniti and 10 over Acura. Neither has a true Flagship. Neither has hybrids or a AMG etc competitor. Infiniti at least offers RWD and V-8s. Acura doesn't.

Acura is solely for loyal Honda owners (blind ones at that).

I was joking but Volvo offers V-8s, diesels and had a "R" model. Volvo> Acura.
Saab like Acura is a stubborn SOB for loyal owners only.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-14-09 | 11:11 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Its not the same. Its clear Audi/BMW/Benz are pretty much equals offering the same kind of models etc. I do agree in AMERICA Audi is still Tier II compared to them but globally, Audi is their equal.

Lexus is 3 steps over Infiniti and 10 over Acura. Neither has a true Flagship. Neither has hybrids or a AMG etc competitor. Infiniti at least offers RWD and V-8s. Acura doesn't.

Acura is solely for loyal Honda owners (blind ones at that).
God it's good to have you back...
Old 04-14-09 | 11:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
God it's good to have you back...
Feels good to be back
Old 04-14-09 | 11:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Auto advertising lately is a joke, the consumer is bombarded. I question the effectiveness or bang for the buck from a business standpoint.
Their sales here have been more than able to weather the automotive market depression, so although their commercials may come off as rude and/or tick off other brand fans, they at least appear to be working (if the measure for payoff is steady sales volume). From the two Superbowl ads to the Olympic opening ceremony ad (all of which were critically acclaimed), it's pretty clear they are not being conservative with their advertising expenditures. I doubt the company would decide to continue with a loosing advertising campaign if all of the evidence suggested they were having no impact on brand equity and/or sales. It's clear they are.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
yep, smacked audi right back

Audi went against lexus with their A4 vs. LS460 and Q5 vs. RX, but has audi went against MB???

Mercedes was targeted in the "Progess is Beautiful" 2008 Beijing opening ceremony spot as well as the "Separation" commercial.
Old 04-15-09 | 08:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Audi is to BMW/MB
as
IMHO

I would not even consider BMW as a Luxury car, well maybe just the 7 series. The interior in the 3 and 5 series are terrible. BMW probably has the worst interior out of all 3, Audi, MB and BMW. Audi has the best interior IMO and MB 2nd.
Old 04-15-09 | 08:12 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would not even consider BMW as a Luxury car, well maybe just the 7 series. The interior in the 3 and 5 series are terrible. BMW probably has the worst interior out of all 3, Audi, MB and BMW. Audi has the best interior IMO and MB 2nd.
Can't disagree more...

I am not going to comment on the design becuase that's subjective, just based on the material quality:

3-series > C-class > A4.

The new A4's interior quality is really nothing to write home about.
Old 04-15-09 | 10:23 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Can't disagree more...

I am not going to comment on the design becuase that's subjective, just based on the material quality:

3-series > C-class > A4.

The new A4's interior quality is really nothing to write home about.
I'm so so so so sorry but have you been in the new 3 series lately?

My sister has a 3 and the interior quality is just lacking so badly. Everything feels and looks plastic and fake, BMW didn't even try here.

Market and sales wise BMW is killing Audi but Audi can compete in every other way, shape and form & they are.

I myself am looking to get an S5 but I really want to see if they will bring the A5 3.0 TDI over to American shores.
Old 04-15-09 | 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by FKL

Mercedes was targeted in the "Progess is Beautiful" 2008 Beijing opening ceremony spot as well as the "Separation" commercial.
Thanks. That was a pretty cool commercial
Old 04-15-09 | 10:48 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star

My sister has a 3 and the interior quality is just lacking so badly. Everything feels and looks plastic and fake, BMW didn't even try here.
You are so funny, which one of the entry lux sedans/coupes doesn't have a plastically interior...

At least the 3-series uses more SOFT plastic materials unlike the new A4, the lower half of the door panels is full of hard plastics, center console too...

To answer your question I have been inside three 3-series (2 335i and 1 328xi), two C-class (C350 and C300 4Matic), one current gen A4 (Spent quiet some time with it during the Audi perfomrnace driving event) and one last gen A4 (had it as a loaner for 2 weeks back in 2007). So I am pretty sure that maybe, just maybe, I know what I am talking about...
Old 04-15-09 | 11:44 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
+1. The interior is far from luxurious. Sporty is more like it. Here are my analogies:
BMW= Infiniti [Sport]
MB= LEXUS [Luxury]
Audi= ACURA [FWD/AWD only]
Old 04-15-09 | 11:49 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suislide
BMW= Infiniti [Sport]
MB= LEXUS [Luxury]
Cueing 1SICK...

Old 04-15-09 | 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suislide
+1. The interior is far from luxurious. Sporty is more like it. Here are my analogies:
BMW= Infiniti [Sport]
MB= LEXUS [Luxury]
That’s a good analogy suislide. BMW have always spend its money on performance, while MB spends it on luxury and Audi is somewhere in the middle. Getting into a BMW 3 or 5 series is not like getting into a Lexus GS, MB E-class or Audi A6, the interior of the BMW is cold, un-inviting and not luxurious at all. Don’t get me wrong, it has all the toys and the seats are comfortable and very supportive, but it feels like a sport sedan, not a luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: Audi vs BMW billboard ad war in So Cal