Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi vs BMW billboard ad war in So Cal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 12:17 PM
Iceman5248
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not the same. Its clear Audi/BMW/Benz are pretty much equals offering the same kind of models etc. I do agree in AMERICA Audi is still Tier II compared to them but globally, Audi is their equal.

Lexus is 3 steps over Infiniti and 10 over Acura. Neither has a true Flagship. Neither has hybrids or a AMG etc competitor. Infiniti at least offers RWD and V-8s. Acura doesn't.

Acura is solely for loyal Honda owners (blind ones at that).

I was joking but Volvo offers V-8s, diesels and had a "R" model. Volvo> Acura.
Saab like Acura is a stubborn SOB for loyal owners only.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm sorry but as an 09' TL owner, styling aside since it is THAT controversial..I believe the new TL is being compared to BMW 5 Series and A4s...Try riding in a new one...I will agree with Acura being Teir II luxury while BMW, Audi, and Mercedes being Tier 1..but I will not agree that Lexus is Tier 1...just yet. I'd say they're in the midde between Tier I and II if that makes any sense. They are definitely making a statement with their hybrid cars.

Acura could definitely catch up to Lexus in no time if they stop coming out with SUV crossovers like the new ZDX and have something to compete against the coupe/sport cars that other companies have to offer. Remember our VTEC engine has more awards than anything engine Toyota has ever made. Nissan's VQ is the same so pay some respect in that sense. Quality over quantity I'd say.
Old 04-15-09, 12:31 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to go OT here but if Lexus isn't tier 1 then Acura isn't even luxury, no matter what tier it is...

"Could definitely catch up to Lexus in no time"?

They need AT THE VERY LEAST:

A V8
A 7er/S/LS competitor
A RWD platform

To be on equal ground as Lexus.

I am sure it'll take Honda longer (heck a lot longer) than "no time" to come up with those three AND put them into production.

Talking about VTEC now, are you living in the 90s? That's like I am saying China is the most powerful country because three, four hundred years ago they were... The engines coming out from Toyota/Lexus production lines are almost in another generation compare to those VTEC engines you praised so much. Don't believe me?

- 2GR-FSE vs. 3.7L V6 in the TL
- Where's the V8?
- Where's Honda/Acura's version of that 5.0L V8 in the IS F?
- Where's Honda's version of the 3rd generation Prius engine? Don't tell me the Insight because if you did enough research you'll know that technology-wise, the two are not on the equal ground.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...
Old 04-15-09, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman5248
I'm sorry but as an 09' TL owner, styling aside since it is THAT controversial..I believe the new TL is being compared to BMW 5 Series and A4s...Try riding in a new one...I will agree with Acura being Teir II luxury while BMW, Audi, and Mercedes being Tier 1..but I will not agree that Lexus is Tier 1...just yet. I'd say they're in the midde between Tier I and II if that makes any sense. They are definitely making a statement with their hybrid cars.

Acura could definitely catch up to Lexus in no time if they stop coming out with SUV crossovers like the new ZDX and have something to compete against the coupe/sport cars that other companies have to offer. Remember our VTEC engine has more awards than anything engine Toyota has ever made. Nissan's VQ is the same so pay some respect in that sense. Quality over quantity I'd say.
if quality is important then acura is in trouble. that's my opinion. i have checked out all the recent years acura and honestly i am not impressed at all. and also, unless acura starts making v8 (not making suv is only the first step) and actually make a car that competes with other flagship, they are far from tier 2 imho

i don't see the tl being comapred to the 5 series at all, coz' that's what the rl is for, compared with gs, 5, e, and a6
Old 04-15-09, 12:51 PM
Iceman5248
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Not trying to go OT here but if Lexus isn't tier 1 then Acura isn't even luxury, no matter what tier it is...

"Could definitely catch up to Lexus in no time"?

They need AT THE VERY LEAST:

A V8
A 7er/S/LS competitor
A RWD platform

To be on equal ground as Lexus.

I am sure it'll take Honda longer (heck a lot longer) than "no time" to come up with those three AND put them into production.

Talking about VTEC now, are you living in the 90s? That's like I am saying China is the most powerful country because three, four hundred years ago they were... The engines coming out from Toyota/Lexus production lines are almost in another generation compare to those VTEC engines you praised so much. Don't believe me?

- 2GR-FSE vs. 3.7L V6 in the TL
- Where's the V8?
- Where's Honda/Acura's version of that 5.0L V8 in the IS F?
- Where's Honda's version of the 3rd generation Prius engine? Don't tell me the Insight because if you did enough research you'll know that technology-wise, the two are not on the equal ground.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...
Okay, clearly the argument is over with that response. All I was really venting about was the statement about Lexus being like 10 steps over Acura where only 3 steps over Infiniti. Infiniti and Acura both have AWDs, crossover SUVs. Yes Infiniti has a V8, but why is Infiniti that much better than Acura? I mean can't respect be given to Acura for being able to come out with cars that are comparable to respectable cars in these high-end companies?
Old 04-15-09, 12:57 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

is that bentley picture real? haha
i wanna see what audi comes up with next
Old 04-17-09, 10:55 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Billboard War Redux: Audi shoots back, BMW turns away

The billboard war taking place between Audi and BMW in Southern California has taken yet another turn today. After Audi called out its cross-country rival by saying "Your Move, BMW" on a billboard overlooking Santa Monica Blvd. advertising the new A4, BMW responded by renting its own billboard across the street that simply showed the M3 and "Checkmate." Audi then had some fun collecting photoshopped billboard responses from fans on its Facebook page before revealing its own retort. The new billboard, which reportedly went up today, shows the R8 supercar next to this proclamation: "Time to check your luxury badge. It may have expired."

Huh?

While the R8 is a great weapon with which to defend yourself against an M3 attack, the battle cry beside it makes no sense to us whatsoever. If this were a Yo Mama competition, BMW would be chest bumping Wilmer Valderrama right now and Audi would be crawling back into its hoopty for the long ride home.

BMW did actually have a response for Audi. At some point the brand removed its M3 advertisement from across the street and didn't replace it. Audi is now battling with an ad for Barney's CO-OP... and losing.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/17/b...mw-turns-away/

Kudos to BMW, they did what they should've done at first place.

"Remember when you are fighting a pig in the mud, the pig actually enjoys it"

Yup, right now Audi is that pig...
Old 04-17-09, 11:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder when the LED light fad is gonna end.

that picture is not attractive at all. looks like bulls horns.

you see it? you see it? the grille is a big bulls face

Old 04-18-09, 02:45 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The R8 is a goregeous car, no matter how some darkened billboard drama may make it out to be.

Old 04-18-09, 07:59 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
The R8 is a goregeous car, no matter how some darkened billboard drama may make it out to be.

The R8 is certainly a beautiful car....to look at.

It is dramatically underpowered for the price point and type of vehicle. You don't build supercars at $150K that get spanked by other luxury cars that are half the price.

I realize that they somewhat address that with the new V10, but of course the price goes up again.
Old 04-18-09, 08:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all this bickering between the A4 and 3 series and their interiors I might as well throw in my 2 cents as a guy who has owned (er... leased, I suppose) both cars... although my A4 was an 06 so not this most recent gen... I've still sat in the new gen A4 and it's not that much of a departure from what I had... certainly not a step down.

I think the interior materials and build quality on the A4 are substantially better than the 3 series in terms of luxury, comfort, looks, and feel. In terms of interior ergonomics and function I prefer the 3 series but not by much and not in all ways.

Driving experience goes hands-down to the 3 series but part of that is very likely because I had a non-sport 2.0t MT A4 and have a sport package 3.0tt AT 335i. The A4 was quite a bit more comfortable though, and got way better fuel economy... though that again probably goes back to suspension and engine choices. I've had non sport 328i loaner cars and they're still not as comfortable or as fuel efficient as my 2.0t was, nor are they as fast feeling.
Old 04-18-09, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

i wonder when the LED light fad is gonna end.

that picture is not attractive at all. looks like bulls horns.

you see it? you see it? the grille is a big bulls face

Good catch. The official car of the Chicago Bulls.

With all of the sponsorship deals out there, something is always the official something of someone.
Old 04-18-09, 10:37 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
With all this bickering between the A4 and 3 series and their interiors I might as well throw in my 2 cents as a guy who has owned (er... leased, I suppose) both cars... although my A4 was an 06 so not this most recent gen... I've still sat in the new gen A4 and it's not that much of a departure from what I had... certainly not a step down.

I think the interior materials and build quality on the A4 are substantially better than the 3 series in terms of luxury, comfort, looks, and feel. In terms of interior ergonomics and function I prefer the 3 series but not by much and not in all ways.

Driving experience goes hands-down to the 3 series but part of that is very likely because I had a non-sport 2.0t MT A4 and have a sport package 3.0tt AT 335i. The A4 was quite a bit more comfortable though, and got way better fuel economy... though that again probably goes back to suspension and engine choices. I've had non sport 328i loaner cars and they're still not as comfortable or as fuel efficient as my 2.0t was, nor are they as fast feeling.
I'd have to say this is probably the most accurate, level headed comparison that I have seen to date.

I haven't owned either, but have driven both and think you are bang on.
Old 04-18-09, 01:39 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man oh man, threads like these are the reason CL is my home page.
Old 04-18-09, 06:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha on bimmer forums someone posted saying that the BMW billboard has been taken down
Old 04-18-09, 08:55 PM
LexFather

No the TL is not. The only people saying that are disillusioned owners. No magazine or review has mentioned the next class up. If anything they mention how the TL makes the RL look even more silly.

I've driven it recently and its okay not much better than an Accord an not convincing me why it costs 10-20k more than one. Same size, most of the same features, interiors look similar and its not like the Acura badge has much more prestige than Accord.

Saying Acura could definitely catch up to Lexus in no time is ridiculous since they have not and cannot. They can't even make a transmission for goodness sakes. Their best technology is Navigation (with Lexus right behind them) and SH-AWD no one uses.

Lol at Vtec. Where is your Vtec now? The most powerful Acura at 304hp, less than most everyone in class? Vtec? Seriously, drop it.

Its a nice car but its belongs in the class its in. It breaks no new ground.
Okay, clearly the argument is over with that response. All I was really venting about was the statement about Lexus being like 10 steps over Acura where only 3 steps over Infiniti. Infiniti and Acura both have AWDs, crossover SUVs. Yes Infiniti has a V8, but why is Infiniti that much better than Acura? I mean can't respect be given to Acura for being able to come out with cars that are comparable to respectable cars in these high-end companies?
Infiniti has 3 V-8s, 4.5, the 5.0 and the 5.6. Acura doesn't have one. Infinit is offered in Europe now, is all RWD with AWD options. THe M35/45 is their flagship people WANT and sells while the RL is like the chicken pox, no one wants it. They are in the same class with 100% different results.

Acura cannot even compete with Infiniti. It has no chance with Lexus.

Is it a bad brand? No, its great for Honda owners to move up to. It has its niche. Owners need to understand that.

EPIC EPIC EPIC!!!

Last edited by LexFather; 04-18-09 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi vs BMW billboard ad war in So Cal