Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Smart, Yaris, and Fit VS C Class, Camry, and Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 06:28 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now thats much more useful than showing crashes and going ooo look clearly the bigger car did better. Although I didnt like how they used various vehicles of different weights without using a fixed standard for comparison. Sorta like evaluating an accord vs a Ford Explorer, a camry vs an H2 and a mercedes vs a big rig and then saying ooo look the accord does the best vs something larger.

Last edited by leedogg; 04-14-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 06:39 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I think the reason they picked the comparos they did was to make them in the same mfr on the assumption that there might be better performance expected against siblings. As for which ones to pick making a relevant test, that is open to debate. No one in a Smart has any guarantee that that offset front ender will be against a C Class and not an H1. Ihaven't much of a clue how you make it fair or representative of the real world. I think they wanted to get roughly the range of weight that was representative of the majority of vehicles out there, hence the Camry, Accord, and C Class.
Old 04-14-09, 09:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. the smart had the A-pillars nearly intact (just a slight crease) but the Yaris sedan's A-Pillar is just abolished! Also what's notable is that the smart's roof did not shatter. It's the weber plastic panoramic roof so at least we know it's strong enough if it should roll over.

The smart bounces cause it's so light.
Old 04-14-09, 10:00 PM
xioix
Racer

Well crash tests are done at 35mph at a non moving object, this was done with both traveling at 40mph at each other, outcomes are going to look really different than other crash tests
Old 04-14-09, 10:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Hmm.. the smart had the A-pillars nearly intact (just a slight crease) but the Yaris sedan's A-Pillar is just abolished! Also what's notable is that the smart's roof did not shatter. It's the weber plastic panoramic roof so at least we know it's strong enough if it should roll over.

The smart bounces cause it's so light.
I am glad you had noticed it. All those small cars had a "possibility" of injury except for one...that one resulted in instant death had it been a real person driving it. Props to Ford for making a safer small car than Toyota.
Old 04-14-09, 10:39 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
I think the reason they picked the comparos they did was to make them in the same mfr on the assumption that there might be better performance expected against siblings. As for which ones to pick making a relevant test, that is open to debate. No one in a Smart has any guarantee that that offset front ender will be against a C Class and not an H1. Ihaven't much of a clue how you make it fair or representative of the real world. I think they wanted to get roughly the range of weight that was representative of the majority of vehicles out there, hence the Camry, Accord, and C Class.
What i'm saying is that I dont care what they put these mini cars up against, as long as it's the same vehicle used in all 3 cases. the result of a smart vs a mercedes tells me nothing in comparison to a fit vs an accord. Whereas if they pit all 3 minicar's against the same larger vehicle, we could draw more scientific conclusions. Otherwise I could arguably say that the mercedes is a brick and doesnt crumple at all and therefor more kinetic energy is transferred to the smart as opposed to the accord which crumples like paper and absorbs most of the damage instead of transferring it to the fit, so therefore these tests can only tell me that the smart is bad vs larger cars with the exact same characteristics of that mercedes.
Old 04-14-09, 10:44 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Wow I was surprised at how the Smart bounced off the C-class sedan.
did you see the MB emblem fly off, looks cool...
Old 04-14-09, 10:45 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Anyone have any ideas as to why didn't they test hybrids like the Prius and Insight against the Camry and Accord? The hybrids are basically equivalent to economy hatchbacks with a fancier powertrain. The new Prius does weigh a lot more, though.

And why no US brand econocars tested?
Old 04-14-09, 10:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel sorry for people who drives these cars, mainly due to economic reasons... people who drive these cars because they think that they are cute are idiots...
Old 04-14-09, 11:27 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I like econo hatches because they're useful while being sporty. I don't want to haul stuff in my metrosexual ES350. Ideally, I'd like a van to haul with and also a pure sports car, but 3 vehicles is beyond my idea of being reasonable.

So I'm not forced to buy small cars out of financial constraint, but I'm also beyond buying a car for looks and enviro-credits. Some of them do look cute, though. It's a bonus.
Old 04-14-09, 11:40 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Gotta love Fox Noise for interjecting the white house into these results.

But I agree with most of the comments here. The Fit gets marginally worse mileage than it's Civic counterpart. The Smart's mileage figures leave much to be desired. Go get a Prius/Insight/Civic hybrid/Jetta TDI if all you want to see 50mpg on the cluster, but don't try and justify your purchase of a small death trap on MPG!
Old 04-15-09, 11:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
Anyone have any ideas as to why didn't they test hybrids like the Prius and Insight against the Camry and Accord? The hybrids are basically equivalent to economy hatchbacks with a fancier powertrain. The new Prius does weigh a lot more, though.

And why no US brand econocars tested?
I don't think the test was econocars as much as it was for the micro mini size vehicles. Not sure what US vehicle would qualify for the size of a Smart. Don't know if they will start looking at things like Prius v Camry but if you go to their website, they sell the results (vids and such) so you never know what they might get into to generate a few bucks.
Old 04-15-09, 12:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
Well crash tests are done at 35mph at a non moving object, this was done with both traveling at 40mph at each other, outcomes are going to look really different than other crash tests
More realistic I would think. Too bad there aren't more tests like with moving objects like this. Represents real world crashes much better.
Old 04-15-09, 12:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When the hood is only 2 ft long, there is only so much metal that can crumble.
Old 04-15-09, 12:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Note to Toyota engineers: stop listening to Paramore in the crash test cell. I know crushcrushcrush is a catchy song but when a car crushcrushcrushes the wrong way bad things happen.