Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus RX in person...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 08:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedflex
I don't like the styling either but I also didn't like the previous one. I can't find a nice angle on the car no matter how hard I look at it and I do think there are much better looking vehicles in the class. But it's a Lexus and that alone is enough for a lot of people.
I agree and after driving it I was bored too.
Old 04-15-09, 09:15 AM
Alfalover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen quite a few in the Toronto area and I believe it looks better than the 2RX. Many people like the looks of this vehicle, and as somebody pointed out already, it's an SUV not a sport coupe.
Old 04-15-09, 09:21 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alfalover
I have seen quite a few in the Toronto area and I believe it looks better than the 2RX. Many people like the looks of this vehicle, and as somebody pointed out already, it's an SUV not a sport coupe.
There are several CUVs and SUV that look good despite what they are. It is possible to make such a thing look handsome (Mercedes ML, BMW X-5, Audi Q5, Mazda CX-9, Land Rover LR7). The RX, particularly the new one, just doesn't work for me.
Old 04-15-09, 10:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw one parked at the dealership yesterday and it looks more masculine imo, but the fron is set up for positive lift. The front end is awkward looking
Same here. Looks like they chiseled some of the parts so it's not as round as the past generations.
My neighbor has a white one so I pass by it everyday...it's starting to grow on me.
Old 04-15-09, 11:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree and after driving it I was bored too.
SUVs are not sports cars.
Old 04-15-09, 11:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Good observation, but SUV's don't have to be ugly and boring. As other posters have pointed out Venza, X5, ML, Q5 are examples of SUV's that are not ugly and more interesting to drive.

btw, sports cars typically are 2 seaters and a very different class of vehicle.
Old 04-15-09, 11:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
We know this.. But there are some suv's that will defy logic & put many cars including your Suburu & my Lexus to shame in the handeling & performance dept.. Have you seen the X6 vs Cayenne GTS vs the Mercedes CLS500 sport vid? I posted a month or two ago? I may have a driving event for you & others to take advantage of shortly
Old 04-15-09, 12:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah but this is not Lexus' design intention for the new RX. Look at the market, every other car company out there have a SUV that handles well. Lexus knows that there is a big market out there for poeple who are looking for soft riders and that market have way less competition than the performance SUV market. Lexus didnt get to where they are today without spending tons of money on researching what the customer want. And thats why the RX is the number selling mid size luxury SUV in the US.
Old 04-15-09, 12:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yeah but this is not Lexus' design intention for the new RX. Look at the market, every other car company out there have a SUV that handles well. Lexus knows that there is a big market out there for poeple who are looking for soft riders and that market have way less competition than the performance SUV market. Lexus didnt get to where they are today without spending tons of money on researching what the customer want. And thats why the RX is the number selling mid size luxury SUV in the US.
I agree. Driving dynamics are not a priority with the majority of SUV/CUV buyers. As you indicated, look at the year on year sales of the RX and it's obvious that on this particular model, Lexus knows their buyer.

Last edited by LexBob2; 04-15-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 12:33 PM
Alfalover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
We know this.. But there are some suv's that will defy logic & put many cars including your Suburu & my Lexus to shame in the handeling & performance dept.. Have you seen the X6 vs Cayenne GTS vs the Mercedes CLS500 sport vid? I posted a month or two ago? I may have a driving event for you & others to take advantage of shortly
These vehicles are also at much different price points, so they should out-race and out-handle an RX.
Old 04-15-09, 12:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfalover
These vehicles are also at much different price points, so they should out-race and out-handle an RX.
The X3 ? Look out for the 300hp 2010 BMW X3.. My response to Legacy was that there are some suv's on the market that are not weeble wobble soccer mom turtle boats..
Old 04-15-09, 01:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Although I agree the RX is the soft-rider SUV not favored by those that enjoy driving, considering the RX is a new redesigned model sales have been rather feeble compared to prior years. Yes I know the state of the economy, but new model launches usually yield better results.
Old 04-15-09, 01:11 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel it looks better in person than on TV or in print adds.
Old 04-15-09, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian231
I feel it looks better in person than on TV or in print adds.
I agree, but just barely better.

Another thing I noticed is that at a glance I can hardly tell the new one from the last generation one when spotted at speed on the road. I can imagine it's typical non-enthusiast kind of buyer would be even less likely to differentiate the new one from the old at a glance.
Old 04-15-09, 01:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, but just barely better.

Another thing I noticed is that at a glance I can hardly tell the new one from the last generation one when spotted at speed on the road. I can imagine it's typical non-enthusiast kind of buyer would be even less likely to differentiate the new one from the old at a glance.
Probably Diehard RX buyers or those leasing will jump on this vehicle. It is quite different that the previous models.

Quick Reply: New Lexus RX in person...